Methanol?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer

Reaction score
has any one out there ever converted there bikes to methanol?
thinking about changing mine love to here from someone who has already done it.

Dont even consider running Methanol in your pittys.Not only is it a waste of time in a "Low Comp" engine It is a difficult fuel to set carbies up for jet sizing,humidity etc especially if you are not in the know.The carby fuel lines and needle/and seat needs a special type of neoprene rubber that is not attacked by methanol.You may even find that the Methanol may soften the fuel tank plastic used in these bikes.Plus the added possible problem of valve seat recession/wear due to the cheap alloy valve seats STD and lack of lubricants in the fuel.I have rebuild quite a few sets of Sprint car cylinder heads Etc..and have a little experience in this regard..

My opinion Only Tho !!

yeah i totally agree with maylands its just not worth it

my dad has just finished buiding a tiger 500 triumph for vmx use and that is now on methanol made a masive differance to that bike.
so i new about fuel lines and the the the dificulty of getting it set up right
i was planing on building a carb to suit (probably starting with a 30mm flat slide) haddnt even thought about the cheap plastic fuel tank thanks for the heads up.
i know a guy local who makes hi comp go kart pistons for a living he hand made the piston for my xr250(std pump gas 30 RWHP 100% increase in power)
also my old man has huge experience with sprintcar motors
so i had planned on goin all out on the head anyway was just hopping to hear from somone who had allready tried it
thanks for your thoughts it all helps ;-)

this sounds obvious but you should ask your old man an see what he thinks

Slayer.. Pics of the Trumpy Please!!!!! :D my old man rides an anniversary edition bonnie, has a 74 trident, a bsa B40, and jsut purchased a Night Train...
add some castor oil to your fuel and it will SMELL like your running methanol :rolleyes: lol

yeah pics of the trumpy!!! my old man had a 650 bonny motor in a ossa frame, but after a season he pulled it back down way to heavy...

i will try to catch up with my uncle and get some snaps and post em
man it flies it feels so small when you ride it like a big pitie.
and the right hand gear shift does my head in!!
the old man also has a 73 bonnie 650 mx bike which is now 750 raod lic and runs on castrol R he is the second owner he has owned it for over 30 Years has won trophys at shows ITS VERY IMPRESSIVE will post pics when i catch up with him next.

Like any change to the engine setup, you have to rearrange the rest of the supporting parts to suit. I think you could get a methanol running pit bike to work and work well, but it is a SERIOUSLY big job.

I don't know about this, but is methanol easy to get and is it expensive?

Easiest way to run methanol is to install a motor and carb combo already running on it. Like a laidown 250 Jawa.....

You run the risk of destroying your engine they are alredy fragile bikes

I was only joking about putting a jawa into your pitty!

But now we're on the subject that would make a pretty radical transplant. Much more realistic and better proposition than turbo or supercharging for crazy power. As for reliability they are just like any engine. Built conservatively they would be an extremely good motor. When used for speedway they are built and rebuilt to stay at absolute peak performance and are operating right at the edge of performance levels all the time. It is the quality of the engine and the methanol that actually allow it to run like this. Methanol has a great cooling effect on an engine and allows you to run very high compression ratios. But you can build any motor to run on different fuels. Its not a problem its just technically different. For the person capable of building a methanol engine, rebuilds and experimentation are actually all part of the fun of it.

Latest posts

Back