Mikuni carbs

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tez

Reaction score
just got told by the mechanic at motorbike city that i needed a new carb for my atomik 160, he said that the stock molkt was the reason why it wasn't starting.

He recommended the mikuni 30mm for my bike and recons that it is way more reliable than the oko.. what are your thoughts on this? thanks

have you tried cleaning out the carby ?
it will most likely be a blocked pilot jet, or the tiny hole that you can see in the carby once it's unscrewed.

if you were to replace the carby i would be using a 26mm,
imo a 30mm will be too big.

i haven't tried cleaning it, i just want to get rid of it because its leaking also, its probably not hard to fix but if there is nothing wrong with it ill just clean it up and sell it, as you said 30mm is too big will that effect its performance compared to a 26mm?

yeah, it will be a bit slower off idle, you might be able to rejet it to tune it better
the carby needs a decent air speed to draw enough fuel out the bowl.
a 26mm carby is very close to the intake manifold i/d and also the intake port in the head.

so fitting a bigger carby onto your motor,
the intake air speed will be a lot slower as it will have to step down to the intake manifold and head.
it wont be as responsive down in the lower rpms too

it would be a good carby for flat out racing though, like sand drags or general straight line top speed etc

hmmmmmmmm i dont know whether to call them up to change it too a 26mm, because usually i just ride it around my street as it has the motard wheels on it. Would the power off the mark or low RMPs be very noticeable or just a slight variation?

yeah, it will be a bit slower off idle, you might be able to rejet it to tune it better
the carby needs a decent air speed to draw enough fuel out the bowl.
a 26mm carby is very close to the intake manifold i/d and also the intake port in the head.

so fitting a bigger carby onto your motor,
the intake air speed will be a lot slower as it will have to step down to the intake manifold and head.
it wont be as responsive down in the lower rpms too

it would be a good carby for flat out racing though, like sand drags or general straight line top speed etc

in the slower/lower rpms it will be more noticable, until it gets up around 5000 rpm plus
are they fitting it for you too ?
if so they might be able to rejet it to suit your bike ?

and riding on the street isn't legal in Australia, bike impounded, big fines for uninsured/unregistered, demerit points off your licence, and a court appearance in most states

ahhh i see, yeah they are. They could but i don't really want to spend much on it because i only brought it to muck around on. i only paid $500 for the thing that only had 10 hours on it and the way the service is going at the moment its going to cost me $220 for full service and cost of the carb + install :) after this service i will be doing the rest of it myself! yes i realise that but that's only if you get caught :D i just want it to run with no starting issues or problems :)

in the slower/lower rpms it will be more noticable, until it gets up around 5000 rpm plus
are they fitting it for you too ?
if so they might be able to rejet it to suit your bike ?

and riding on the street isn't legal in Australia, bike impounded, big fines for uninsured/unregistered, demerit points off your licence, and a court appearance in most states

Last edited:
yes i realise that but that's only if you get caught

so it's only illegal if i got drunk, drove my car, hit and killed someone....... and i get caught ?
if i get away, and not get caught, then that's ok ?

That's a very very different situation mate.

so it's only illegal if i got drunk, drove my car, hit and killed someone....... and i get caught ?
if i get away, and not get caught, then that's ok ?

i find this offensive and believe people like you mate are the reason we get a bad name
lets say you get caught and its posted on the news then the politics start then the whole community of pitbikes/thumpstars/minis in Australia shall be a taken from us
if you want to do something right take it to your local track or rec register thats if your in vic tho
sorry to seem if im rude

i find this offensive and believe people like you mate are the reason we get a bad name
lets say you get caught and its posted on the news then the politics start then the whole community of pitbikes/thumpstars/minis in Australia shall be a taken from us
if you want to do something right take it to your local track or rec register thats if your in vic tho
sorry to seem if im rude

I totally agree with you xLOCOx 100%.

I understand, I guess no more riding in the street then :)

sorry to seem if im rude

Latest posts

Back