Mini bike ignition...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polarized

Reaction score
So I'm new to the forum. I got a pocket bike someone left at the car shop I work at. Now the ignition coil seems incomplete as there is nothing to provide a spark to the plug when I pull the start and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could grab the parts to get it running. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359402001.719083.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359402031.910997.jpg

they dont run a cdi or anything, it is a self generating coil.
it gets triggered to make power when the pickup on the flywheel passes it
they are a very simple setup, basically like what is used on an old 2 stroke lawn mower

they dont run a cdi or anything, it is a self generating coil.
it gets triggered to make power when the pickup on the flywheel passes it
they are a very simple setup, basically like what is used on an old 2 stroke lawn mower

In that case my coil is most likely defunct... What is the random wire for?

that wire connects to one side of the kill switch, the other goes to earth

that wire connects to one side of the kill switch, the other goes to earth

So your saying one wire does nothing, But do i need a kill switch to operate the bike? I can't seem to find any other reasons it wouldn't start...

it will start without the kill switch,
but you'll need to put your hand over the carby to stall/kill it.
do you have a multimeter?
if so you can check the 2 Ohms readings off the coil.

have you tried starting it by spraying some aerostart in the carby?
does it have fresh 2 stroke petrol in it?
is the carby all cleaned out, jets etc?

So I bought a new ignition coil and cleaned out the carb. Now it actually sounds like it is going to turn over/start but doesn't stick... Any ideas? I've been working on it in my spare time recently and the only thing I haven't had a chance to clean was the main block with the piston because the screws holding it together are like diamond hard in there..

did you try spraying some Aerostart into the airfilter before you pulled on the starter cord?
new spark plug?

did you try spraying some Aerostart into the airfilter before you pulled on the starter cord?
new spark plug?

Brand New Spark Plug, And Yes. I may be running the wrong fuel mixture though? Also i'm having problem with the throttle cable it's installed wrong and i can't figure out how it's supposed to go into the grip properly....

mix the fuel around 32/1,
so mix 3.2 litres of petrol with 100mls of 2 stroke oil
use some decent oil if you can, semi synthetic designed for motorcross air cooled bikes.

take the filter off the carby and have a look inside the throat,
if the carby slide isn't close on shut, (eg near the bottom) the bike wont start easily.
can you put up a picture of the throttle/grip setup?

"carshop"

i really really REALLY HOPE ITS A PANELBEATERS! this is why i work on my own bike... tanks dented like a %$^#% though :lol:

its a 2 smoke!

power for coil. right. we have now ascertained that it runs a self contained coil, just like the millions of chainsaws brushcutters pocket rockets and other small two(and four!) stroke engines... contoured to the flywheel, steel reacts with magnets embedded in flywheel, fancy wire and circuits inside make spark at right time. single terminal goes....NO WHERE! attach it to earth and theres the kill switch.

that doesnt seem to have been pointed out yet. dont attach a wire so it can RUN. earthing it kills it.

pop plug, stuff ya pinkie in the cap and pull the rope briskly..:b_grind:. spark means spark means go, collect $200 if mummies rich, all set. dont use your finger you fool! use the plug lying on the side of the head so you can see the spark...

no spark means new coil time. poop

a capful of petrol down the intake - carb having been removed for cleaning - usually proves the point.

so. its poppin? but not running. having eliminated spark, its down to a few things.

one. carbs blocked. pretty simple things on pocket rockets, about 10 parts max. usually the main jet blocking.

two. reed valves stuck. ive seen one folded in half. behind the black thing between the carb and crankcase on these things. who folded it? not I!

whats a reed valve?

:google:

almost as funny as a car "mechanic" saying his two stroke was stuffed cus the piston never opened the inlet up into the cylinder... erm piston porting? :confused-smiley-013

any ways. another thread, another forum

number three. cylinders buggered, rings stuffed, engines not even worth scrapping...

Last edited:
dont forget crank seals (possibility) if its sat around for a while.

but yeah usually alot of the problems is just a blocked jet

single terminal goes....NO WHERE! attach it to earth and theres the kill switch.
that doesnt seem to have been pointed out yet. dont attach a wire so it can RUN. earthing it kills it.

see post #6 and #8

I feel stupid all the time, it only lasts for a Lil while lad.

Latest posts

Back