misfire at certain rpm only

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exquisit

Reaction score
hi there

heres the story, the standard oil cooler on the motovert rx was leaking and it leaked all over the bike...prob close to 1L so i degreased the shit out of it and put on a new tube and fin oil cooler
i started it up and it would misfire and die as soon as it got warm...found out that the lead had oil everywhere in it so used brake cleaner to brake down the oil and it did a good job

now i went for a 1.5 hr round trip ride and it has a chronic miss at a certain rpm... not sure of exact rpm because i do not have a tacho but my guess is mid way to redline
even off load (stationary in neutral or clutch in) it hits the rpm where it misses
it may be relevant to know that the maximum speed i can get is 64kmph and then it starts to miss, this is on flat or uphill areas
a 74-75 kmph is when it starts to miss on downhills
my thinking is that because there is less load it misses at a higher rpm, possibly closer to the rpm which it misses at when in neutral

now because the oil went everywhere even inside the lead, could it be possible that the miss is due to oil getting into the irk or ork and playing havoc with that?
or just share your ideas as to what is the problem

thanks for any help in advance
=)

the cdi as in the little box thingy correct?

thanks!
=)

have you started it at night and looked for a short in yr coil/ignition lead/plug cap or event the plug..?

have you cleaned the earth for your wiring?
tried another coil?

basically mate its going to be trial and error here..
oil can do weird things on some items but most the time its harmless..

bikes a bit loud so i try not to start it at night
starting it at night to see shorting happening correct?
i could perhaps do this in my garage tmr during the day with the doors closed its fairly dark

is there only one earth?

havent had access to another coil yet
i'll try to get one tmr during the day off my mate who also has an rx to try it

thanks for all the tips!
=)
really appreciate it!

yeah mate look for spark jumping from somewhere...
might pay to change the spark plug and take it for a ride too..

hi guys just thought i try to update you if any one wants to know

when i put the new oil cooler in i had to rotate the coil
now the wires were not long enough but i just put them on anyways...
it seems that one of them, the green coloured one, was a little bit loose
not sure why that made it miss at a certain rpm but i thought i try to extend it with male and female spade clips with wire and it has seemed to work so far

that and i sprayed brake cleaner on all wire connectors
=)

thanks for everyones help!

thanks heaps for you help sean

ahh i'll keep that in mind next time that green is earth!

i was tempted to keep it missfiring coz it was shooting big mutha flames lol
mustve been funny to be behind me coz i was sitting right on the misfire all the way home... so 45 min each way with flames comine out
haha

Latest posts

Back