monster quad!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headsmess

Miniriders OG
Reaction score
i had a quad. :thumbup:

roadside cleanup, just needed new carby. :thumbup:

swapped the 50 for a 110. :thumbup:

blew it :thumbup:

swapped for another 110 with 3nReverse :thumbup:

still havena blew it :(

bust a shock after the long weekend.

shock mount. shock. pegs, frame. all dead. :thumbup:

started chopping, and wound up with something like this...

Photo0003.jpg

the seat isnt actually attached yet.just a visual guide :thumbup:

yes, i like using rusty steel. im dodgy, and well...theres still less rust than before :)

Photo0000.jpg

waiting on some ball links from flea bay to finish the steering.

extremely filthy 140 with IRK. could be a dog on a quad. anyways.

Photo0002.jpg

the old manifold only just works when turned around... my first or second go with the tig, that one :) must be a few years old by now. i need a notch to get an air filter on. and maybe some whacking to get the top of the carb on...

Photo0001.jpg

used the original swingarms, hacked the pivot for top arm off, rewelded. found that it didnt work so re cut and re rewelded back to where they had been. typical. i notice that i seem to have either two left or two right handed bottom swingarms... but anyway. i have twice the travel at least, and it feels heaps better.

Photo0004.jpg

so far ive worked on the "why measure when you can guesstimate" principle. i have a few pieces of scrapped steel :( but the sprockets seem to line up!

time to go hack off the foot boards and redo them... open tread grate works but needs some reinforcing first.

nice work!

looks to be bit of a rat quad ! not quite a rat rod.....

that looks to be some pretty heavy duty steel there, 3x times as thick as the original stuff.

that manifold, what about filing the holes in the base to make them slots? no need for notching then ?
reminds me a bit of the my sons Dune Buggy
does it have the basic steering setup, eg; no steering rack?
i spotted some buggy/quad rack and pinions on ebay a while ago, they are pretty cheap too, in QLD iirc?

the top suspension arms look almost the same as my sons buggy too.
if you have the lower hams hanging down at that angle, and mount the top arms almost level,
when the suspension moves on hard cornering it'll give it some negative camber.

what ball links had you ordered?

craig

another thing,
the front hubs look like the ones used on our Buggy,
you can reverse them and gain a bit wider stance too, the mounting flange on them is offset.

test rides!

ha ha! rat quad! i like it :)

okies, steerings done. needs some work still but it steers! the links should be the same length as the swing arms (or an average of) to avoid "bump" steer, as well as sitting at the same angle... but once again... i just weld things where they seem to fit... means i get a fair bit of toe in when shocks compress. who cares?
PICT0220 (Medium).JPG

a little sloppy... it wouldnt pass rego :D change a few pivot points that are under high load. maybe trim the bolts down cause im sick of winding a fine pitch nut down 40mm or so... yes! im rough and rude! sticking important bolts in upside down. big no no but i dont care!

lets see, throttle and brake. had to go regular twisties cus the brake lever wont have a bar of standard quad thumb throttles.

PICT0221 (Medium).JPG

im surprised how easily the brakes bled up. that master cylinder hasnt seen fluid for 4 years or so! took about ten minutes :D

SAFETY FIRST! get rid of extraneous covers and guards, and only use one bolt on sprocket retainers! and footrests? huh? wtf? gotta get off my derriere and go find a few offcuts of expanded mesh, ive decided :rolleyes:

PICT0223 (Medium).JPG

fuel tanks attached firmly, changed engine cause the stupid IRK on the other one has died for no apparent reason :(
the manifold and carb on this motor clear the frame, no notching required! but i did file the holes ever so slightly as suggested ;)

PICT0222 (Medium).JPG

and finally. front track is around about a foot wider than before, so, while yes, the hubs do flip around, i dont think i really need to do that just yet :)

PICT0219 (Large).JPG

who needs mufflers and seats anyway? sounds beast with just the pipe :) unfortunately i need the seat so i have a mount for the muffler. i dont care for now, i just wanna take it for a spin!
i already have... down the drive with one wheel nut off :rolleyes:
carb needs some tuning now. bit of a cough at 1/4 throttle. find out on the weekend how well it does perform i guess.

have an oil cooler or two, and theres a convenient place to mount it down the bottom, just in front of the steering links. but methinks airflow wont be a major issue on this thing. more for when im doing the 45 degree and more on "winchbreak hill". 1500m of rockcrawler heaven :D

this is the ORK with the power coil, so i can have spotties one day. beats having ya mate chase ya down the trails in his rodeo. if id come off, he wouldna been able to stop in time... and there was one sketchy moment when i went over a crest and couldnt see a thing! like a lunar landing almost!

anything else? oh yes. the kickstarter modification...

PICT0229 (Small).JPG

had to clear the frame somehow!

im going to miss the old 110 3nR, cause it could be handy as a yard tractor thingy... anyways, its intended purpose is recreation, not work!

might need new tyres after this weekend.

Attachments

• PICT0220.JPG
    PICT0220.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
oh, the ball links... a lil pricey maybe cus theyre real kart ones. i only have M24 and M8 LH taps, so M8 it was... i gotta invest in more of these weird taps. i have the full collection of 1/4 inch taps... 1/4 by 20,24,28 and 32TPI, plus the 1/4x19tpi bspt one (air line fittings), but only two LH taps so far :(

it's looking good now,

here is a link to a company i use for very good quality heim/rose joints,
but the best thing about them is their prices, they sell to the public without the 400% ++ markup, that the aussie resellers seem to add on!
http://mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/
they also sell via ebay too,
http://stores.ebay.com.au/McGill-Motorsports?_rdc=1
and postage/freight, normally takes about 7-10 working days to arrive on your doorstep.

it's the same place where i bought my Ultra High Performance heim joints for my sons Dune Buggy build.

keep up the good work !!

oh wow. even in pounds them prices look to be pretty good! cheers :)

spikes AND expanded mesh! and maybe an old turbo housing, just for the look? :D

mad max makes me think stockton beach now :D yeah, i been overseas! i been to stockton!

Latest posts

Back