Motor Bike Maintenance

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorrilla

Reaction score
what maintenance should be done and when???
i dont know alot about motor bikes, so i dont wont a crapy pit bike because i forgot or didnt do what was needed!
shops say blah blah you pay now.

this is like the 20th thread u made init?

if you use the SEARCH button at the top of the page you will find MANY MANY MANY threads already on this with all the answers u will need

cheers

pit bikes= Low maintanance bikes

Recipe for maintanance=
- Change the engine oil every 4 rides and buy yourself a magnetic tipped drainplug to keep specks of metal out of your engine since these bikes dont have oil filters
-Tension your chain correctly every 4 rides and lube before every ride
-Clean your air filter every ride
-Get a fuel filter and strip and clean your carb once a year
-Replace your spark plug every 12 months
-Valve clearance checks every 12 months
-Replace wheel bearings every 12 months
-Regrease wheel bearings , linkages and swingarm every 6 months
- Check your tyre pressure before every ride
-Lube cables every 6 months
- Replace brake fluid every 12 months
- replace piston and rings every 24 months if not racing

CLEAN YOUR BIKE AFTER EVERY RIDE THAT MEANS PULL OF YOUR SEAT AND TANK!

do you think it is a god idea to fit a oil filter?
maybe a another motor bike or small car?
with the valve clearance checks and wheel bearings, can i do that myself or should i go to the shop and if i can do it myself what do i do?

do it your self the vlavle clearences takes about 30mins at the most and most the time u dont need to take the engine out theres a link how to do it on the
BBR motorsport site in there vidoes check it out

you cant really put a oil filter on so you need to be on top of your oil changes. Unit MX must have a relaiable bike if he keeps with that schedule, it is pretty comprensive.

Yeh, basically what Unit MX said but im not at strict with my maintenance...
Most people don't keep pitties (apart from genuine thumpstars etc.) much longer than a year or 2...
Basically...
Change you're oil when you can see it's getting dark, usually after a few rides but depends whether you ride at tracks or not...
Buy Uni Filter and clean it regulary...
New spark plug every now and then
Tighten all the bolts
Clean the carby
Replace the piston rings if you start burning oil (blue smoke and lower compression than usual)
I'm not sure how often you replace your piston but not very often, unless you race.
Replace brake fluid
Replace brake pads every so often...

Also you need to loctite ALL the bolts, ESPECIALLY the bolts on the muffler/exhaust as they rettle like crazy..(mine came loose with loctite!)

If you do anough maintenance, these bikes are a lot of fun and they will last quite long...

Just a tip for adjusting valves.

Put the front wheel of the bike on a chair or something so its in a wheelie position, so the oil doesn't leak everywhere when you do the exhaust side valves.

Latest posts

Back