Motored Bicycle

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave.B

Reaction score
Anyone here got one? im putting together one using a whipper snipper and friction drive, only thing im worried about is making some form of hinge swing to lift it up when i want to pedal, if any of you's have some valueable info let us know coz this is my first build and would rather less complications. Will i burn out the standard clutch on a whipper snipper or should it hold, its just gunna be general cruising to mates houses n stuff, and with starting this thing being friction drive would i just pull start and let it down onto the wheel and ride? or could i rig up some form of manual clutch so i can bump start it? anyway this is build is costing $12 so far just for spray paint, got given 2 cruiser mountain bikes and made one decent bike and have just resprayed it and its came out very good, engine is off our older whipper snipper so its all came along good, first time welding is going to be fun.

Yeh you clutch won't last long, just don't engage or excelerate till your moving fairly fast. Once your moving hit it - photos would be cool too.

let us know how it all goes mate. i have always been meaning to put one on my 16inch bmx but thats another project for the future lol

iv been thinking about doing this, and iv been researching it on the net. every1 seems to think that the motor will burn out pretty quick because whipper snippers are desinged for high rpm but only for short bursts!

also it will rip through tires realy quick with friction drive!

but neways tell us how it turns out

My friend did it, you can pedal but its just hard because you are still turning the engine while its off.

It goes 60 k's with a tailwind

ive thought about those engine kits but that just makes it too easy, and id rather buy an engine for the pitbike for that money. Im going to use a soft cockaroach skateboard wheel so it shouldnt be that bad for the tyre, I took apart the engine today to give it a little service before going on and it seems that the engine turns fairly easy so it mightent be that bad to ride with it on, and just have a killswitch riged to turn it off and flip it back on to kick it over, i dont see why that wouldnt work.. pictures will come when i mount the motor within the next few days hopefully.

hey i have spare bikes chainsaw motor and whipper snipper one, can u plz make me a design or show me pics? i am unsure of what to use to propell the wheel, coming from the whipper snipper shaft to the back wheel, i thort of using sprockets but i recon it would just break the shaft after a while. cheers

Mad man you might be able to just run a chain direct from the chinsaw motor to a sprocket mounted on the axel. You could possibly put a old rear wheel on the front and make it front wheel drive (I dont know if this is a good idea or not) just weld a mount to the forks.

I put something like that skyhawk 49cc motor kit on a bike for my dad, i stamped the motor 26cc as thats street legal in a 2 stroke and 31cc in a four stroke, he has riden it past cops, but he is 62 yrs old, he sold it last week, it had a hand clucth lever with a lock, so you can pedal, it was pedal start, just a couple of pedals and let out the clutch and off you go, he had it close to 2 years and done a fair few klms

Depending on the size of the chainsaw engine that would be the best bet considering they have a centrifigal clutch, but i guess you could always use a smaller drive wheel if its gutless, no plans mate use your head, look at your motor and spinning sharft then hold it above your rear wheel and then work out some crazy idea on how to mount it, most simplest drive wheel is a skateboard wheel. Ideas are endless when it comes to this, aslong as your bike moves its a winner.

by the way this is a chainsaw engine mounted grab an idea or 2 from this.

Last edited:
i had 1 it was a ryobi wipper snipper motor and we took the pull start off and mounted a grippy bmx stunt peg on the shaft and put a bolt on the inside
we then mounted it over the rear wheel (let the air out of the tyre to get a close mount) welded it and put air in the tyre it was mad as lol didnt blow up or anything ran great
just used stock trigger accelerator mounted to bars

exact engine im using ducar, i rebuilt it so to speak a few days ago and the things running like a charm, actually quite excited for this

pj.jpg

my trike

this is a project im still working on its a concret cutter engine not sure the size of the thing .
DSC00222.jpg
[/IMG]

hey i was looking at my whipper snipper the other day (its fairly old) and i took the engine off and it had what i assume is the cluch on the end of the shaft and im not sure how i could mount a skateboard wheel or stunt peg or whatever on there? could someone possably post a pic or 2 of their drive system?

my mate got pulled over on his and he said it does 20kmph and the cop believed him and complimented him on the welding hahahaha

I would show you a mount but i cant because of shit internet.

my mate also made a chopper with a pressure cleaner engine, does awesome burnouts.

Latest posts

Back