motormans 88 mod build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorman

Admin "The Cougar"
Reaction score
Finally got the build coming along. Will post some pics up later and get a bit of a write up happening.

Couple of questions (I will add more during the day):

What is good gearing to use? Is stock 15 x 37 ok?

Where it's at now:

Ishock Installed:

Found out the hard way that stock cable ain't going to work. Ordered a new one.

Bit of bling:

Just hoping the stock jetting will be ok with stock pipe.

Few things ordered to go on:

Fiveo Extended Gear Lever
New Throtle Cable
New Front and Rear Sprockets

Down the track:

Was going to powdercoat and strengthen frame
2 new tyres
New Heavy Duty Pegmount and pegs
Chain

Way down the track:

New billetware frame and swinger

I just wanna ride the thing for now. Been sitting in the shed for that long. :)

Yew! Great to see you've Finally got a Build Up of this!

Stock 15/37 Gearing is what Im running at the moment, Geared a bit high, good for wide open stuff but still alright for tighter tracks but Im thinking of going a 14 or even 13 front sprocket for tighter tracks.

Looks GOOD mate! Keep the Progress Pics coming!

Looks like a TB Carby? 20mm? The Jetting should work alright with the Stock Pipe but you will most likely have to fiddle around with the Needle C-Clip and Air Screw to get it running its best.

Thanks Tommy. Slowly getting there.

Do you know how much oil it takes?

looking good now the spending starts lol. jetting should be fine for the stock pipe and takes 600ml oil after a change :coolthumb:

looking good now the spending starts lol. jetting should be fine for the stock pipe and takes 600ml oil after a change :coolthumb:

Yeah tell me about it. lol

Trying to keep it on the cheap side for now. Just want to get it running then will spend up big at the end of the year.

My toys are starting to cost a lot of money!!

What tyres are people running?

What chain is suitable?

Yeah tell me about it. lol

Trying to keep it on the cheap side for now. Just want to get it running then will spend up big at the end of the year.

My toys are starting to cost a lot of money!!

What tyres are people running?

What chain is suitable?

HAHA!

Im running a IRC Rear and Dunlop Geomax Front I put on recently after having a Michelin Starcross. I really like the Dunlop Front! Real Grippy!

Ive been Recommended the Regina 420 Non O-Ring RCX Chain as one of the Best Chains out by a guy who's been through them all, RK, DID etc. So thats what Im using!

HAHA!

Im running a IRC Rear and Dunlop Geomax Front I put on recently after having a Michelin Starcross. I really like the Dunlop Front! Real Grippy!

Ive been Recommended the Regina 420 Non O-Ring RCX Chain as one of the Best Chains out by a guy who's been through them all, RK, DID etc. So thats what Im using!

Where can you get the tyres from? Local shop or order over the net?

Really want some Dunlops for it as I run them on the big bike and they are awesome.

Link me up Tommy. The chain too if you have time. haha

Where can you get the tyres from? Local shop or order over the net?

Really want some Dunlops for it as I run them on the big bike and they are awesome.

Link me up Tommy. The chain too if you have time. haha

Too easy...Yeah run the Dunlop Geomax ones! They seem pretty damb Good!

The Dunlop's you should be able to get from any Moto Shop which Stock Dunlops.

If not try this Aussie Online Shop I Recommend:

For the Dunlops, at the bottom of the page, Geomax MX51: http://www.mcas.com.au/_products.php?subcategory=291

For the Chain, Regina 420 Non O-Ring RCX Race Chain: http://www.mcas.com.au/_products.php?subcategory=435

No Worries at all! ALWAYS Keen to help out a Fellow Fiddy Rider ;)

I think it would be worth putting rim locks in for sure, ease of mind I think. Plus it would save you a few tubes!

I got the geomax tyres in 12-14 they are pretty awesome , i will be sticking to them . the rear likes to spit a few knobs from the bigger engine , but would be awesome on a 50 i reckon.

nice build mate, yeh i run dunlop geomax on both my 50s best tyre ive ever used for me stocker, i wouldnt recomend it on 88rh+ tho lol rips nobs easy as and the wall is way to small.

I have a major problem, the motor spins over fine. But when I kick it, it locks up and won't move? I then turn the flywheel clockwise and it will kick over fine for another few kicks and then stop again. Got me complete stumped. Any ideas?

sounds like your timing is out, & your piston is hitting a valve.... but hard to say with out seeing it

it could also be your clutch slipping, when you bump up the compression/add big bore if you dont squeeze it out before you kick it seems like its locked up, i have to start mine like a 650 with no de comp

i would also check you had both piston clips in, one could be jumpin around & jamming up...

just thrown ideas out there lol

Last edited:
sounds like your timing is out, & your piston is hitting a valve.... but hard to say with out seeing it

it could also be your clutch slipping, when you bump up the compression/add big bore if you dont squeeze it out before you kick it seems like its locked up, i have to start mine like a 650 with no de comp

i would also check you had both piston clips in, one could be jumpin around & jamming up...

just thrown ideas out there lol

This is what I wanted to hear!!

Valves definately aren't hitting the piston. Can't hear them at least and when it does kick over all seems well. Timing could be out. There where like 4 marks to line it up to so I guessed. lol. So when it lock's up Hillz you just stick it in gear and roll it backwards then kick again?

What you mean by squeeze the clutch out? It's auto clutch. 99% sure piston clip are in ok.

yep x2 check the timing maybe 1 or 2 teeth out on the cam sprocket

Squeeze the compression out from TDC, the higher compression can make the clutch slip when you kick it which could explain your "Lockup issue"

see if you can find a pattern with it locking up. IE every 3 revs of the crank and 2 kicks it will lock. if there is a definate pattern, you could have a broken gear tooth somewhere, and when it lines up with another damaged tooth it locks up.

Ok sweet guys. Thanks for the info.

Will double check the timing tonight.

The bottom end was working sweet before hand and was really careful not to get anything in there. Hoping nothing has happened to the kick start gears. The fact it works fine then stops is weird.

The flywheel itself also locks up which to me wouldn't indicate a kick starter problew?

Latest posts

Back