motovert 146 kickback issues

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liljohn_92

Reaction score
hey guys havent been on here in ages as ive been too busy so my bikes been sitting for a yr or 2.

engine is a motovert 125 with a 146 hi comp kit on it with a lifan 140 head.
i removed the anti kickback in the head when i built it, not sure if there was a reason for this or not but now i get really bad kickback from it, and before you say learn how to start it i never had kickback issues from my yz426f so i dont think its my starting method.

should i tear it down and refit the anti kickback crap or is there a better option?
anyone ever fitted a decomp button/lever to a 140 head?

im about to fit a oko 26mm carb to it and get it back out of retirement for some fun on the weekends im just not sure on good jetting to start off with to fine tune it so anyone got a rough idea of jet sizes i should start out with?

thanks for any help.

38 pilot and a 100 or 102 mains should give you a starting point jetting wise. Im assuming valve clearances were done on the head, at .003 and .004" inlet and exhaust respectively. Are you kicking from just past tdc?
You could grind back the pickup tab on the flywheel, somd guys do that to the z160s and yx160s with stock stators...

What flywheel/stator are you using ?
f it's the stock Lifan 140 ignition, I recommend fitting a semi digital Lifan 150 Outer Rotor kit (adjustable timing) if you don't have a decent one on there now.
They use a lighter flywheel which will lessen the kickback, and also help it to rev a bit quicker.
Racing Out Rotor Kit, Adjust Timing, Semi-Digi CDI, Harness ? Buy Online Australia at DHZ

Otherwise you could try out the OORacing Easy Start CDI, this retard's the initial timing to make strting it easier
It's listed as a 5 pin cdi, but the pic show's a 6 pin ?
Maybe check with them before buying it to confirm.
Iirc, someone here has fitted on to reduce kickback too ?
https://www.ooracing.com/store/cdi-...hable-rev-control-use-with-all-flywheels.html

The design of the Lifan BVH doesn't leave much room to fit a decomp button, the stud hole's run close to the combustion chamber.
I haven't seen any decomp lever/cable set up's available for them either, but you might be able to modify one for a YX or ZS HO 160 if you care any good at fabricating?

With the Oko26 i think the standard #100 main jet should be very close,
maybe get a #98 and #102 as well so you can feel any difference, and a #38 for the pilot would be the best imo (#36 stock)
I've found moving the needle clip up to the 2nd notch down help's them too.

The Oko carb's require a throttle cable with 150mm cable hanging out the outer, so the Full kit's DHZ sell make it a single purchase for the full kit instead of buying all the bit's individually
OKO 26MM FlatSlide Carby Kit ? OKO ? Buy Online Australia at DHZ

Also with the jetting, they all need to be tuned to suit the individual engine, there can be a lot of thing's that'll change the requirement's/tuning,
i had #105 and a #38 in my Lifan 150 running an Oko 26mm and Uni Filter, Splitfire lead, Ngk Irridium CR7HIX, 32mm/38mm exhaust and it was spot on

And just as a comparison, the Z160HO's seem to like a #102/#38 combination

valves were done when i built it but it cant hurt to check them,ill give those jet sizes a go and see how hard it is to start before i go any further with adjusting other **** as i sold the carby off it to help a mate out when his took a dump so it could have been the carb causing some of the isssue. yea a few degrees past tdc and put all my effort into it. ive got the outer rotor kit so i might try adjusting it back to retard it a tiny bit if thats possible... i cant remember its been that long since ive worked on the bike.

think ill just harden up with the kickback issues haha. as for the carb i bought the kit you linked and the throttle cable inner was too long so i modded the cable i had to suit. apart from that it should just be jetting so ill get some through dhz and get a new sparkplug and oil as its been sitting for a couple yrs.

anyone know where else in aus i can get oko jets apart from dhz as they havent had the 38 in stock for a couple months now. theyve got the other 2 but wont be much help if i cant get ahold of the 38

Latest posts

Back