MR PLOWS KLX Build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_plow

Reaction score
Hey guys i started with this:

dsc0133ak.jpg

which then turned into this:

dsc0304zo.jpg

I got sick of the weight of the steel perimiter frame so decided to switch to the standard klx110 chromolly frame.

The Build so far:

- Stock forks
- Stock Triples
- Stock wheels
- Stock front brakes
- Atomik KLX 110 Frame
- DHZ heavy duty alloy swingarm
- no name 280mm 800lb shock
- YX 140 (z40 cam/ springs/IRK)
- Minkuni 26mm carb
- 32mm exhaust
- pro taper bars
- 1/4 turn throttle

To Come:

- Just ride head stem bearings
- New rear wheel that takes 15mm shaft
- 6000-rs2 bearings for swingarm
- Bolts
- Loctite
- DID Chain
- CNC rear sprocket

Whats happend so far:

well i tried to fit the swingarm to frame, the frame takes a 10mm bolt, the swinger has a 12mm. i went out and got a 10mm high tensile replacement bolt and ordered some 6000-rs2 bearings (10mm inner 26 outer) to replace the current 12mm ones so thats all good now.

Next was the shock, the upper shock mount was way in the wrong spot for a 280mm shock. Not to worry, i cranked up the mig welder and fabricated some steel flat to extend the shock mount, lined it up with the old frame and welded it all up. I had to cut the plate behind the shock as on hard impacts i think the reservoir would have hit it.

Next i went to check out what the go was with the rear brake, in the process i manage to break the plastic viewing level in its reservoir, brake ceased. damn.
Well i thought i would check the fitment anyway, im going to have to customize a bracket for it to attach to and cut the old bracket off as it is too close to the shock and swingarm.
Is there anyway you can set up a hydraulic rear brake so the res isnt upwards?

enough of the boring stuff, heres the pics. will be plenty more to come, i would appreciate ideas! (sorry about the pics, i have to use the screen camera on my iphone as the focus on the main one is stuffed)

img0334ne.jpg

img0335zm.jpg

img0336pi.jpg

img0337rz.jpg

img0338wf.jpg

img0341vy.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good mate.
I would probably run a gusset on the top shock mount to the frame. Something a bit closer to the bolt.

Cheers buddy, yeah i will make up a gusset of some sort to keep it strong, its pretty solid at the moment.

looking good man, and as ^^ suggested, definitely reinforce that shock mount man! last thinking you want is it busting on a ride!

The front looks to have a bit more rake/angle now, You may need a longer shock to lift the back & reduce the rake at the front?

Was the new swingarm shorter?

Pics at night time without plenty of light usually go crappy looking too

The forks have no bearing in the triple at the moment so it looks like it has lots of angle, looks fine when propped up straighter. Hopefully will have new head stem bearings in the mail in the morning so will take some better pics then when they are in. The swinger is exactly the same length as the old one.
I put some reo on that upper shock mount and primed it all up looks good now. Gotta get some bolts tomorrow for the shock mOunt, should have the engine in by the weekend.
Got to sort out the rear brakes ASAP, thinking I may go drums on the rear

Yeah thought the front looked a bit too raked out

Drum brake? No way!!!
You will probably have more trouble trying to setup drum brakes on that frame

Comin along nicely, Get some more pics up (in the day time) when you get further along

cheers guys, no bearings today hopefully get them tomorrow so will get it sorted on the weekend

Yeah thought the front looked a bit too raked out

Drum brake? No way!!!
You will probably have more trouble trying to setup drum brakes on that frame

Comin along nicely, Get some more pics up (in the day time) when you get further along

The issue i face at the monent is that i have to have a vertical brake resivor for the disc to work, i just dont think there is space on the frame for it, im sure i could make something but i dont think there is enough room between the swinger and shock.
with the drum it can run horizontally, so it may not have to be as hard with the disc setup

looking like a good project mate, hope you dont' mind if I go along and steal some of your ideas :) Starting a ground up build on what I now know is a KLX frame (thanks!) and like the look of the swingarm you got for it. Looks like I've gotta go shopping :)

Keep it up, and keep up the updates.

The issue i face at the monent is that i have to have a vertical brake resivor for the disc to work, i just dont think there is space on the frame for it, im sure i could make something but i dont think there is enough room between the swinger and shock.
with the drum it can run horizontally, so it may not have to be as hard with the disc setup

Maybe your shock spring is too big/round? Being a fairly cheap shock it may have a larger spring maybe, Need some pics of your bike like the one below showing how much room there is for the master cylinder
Do you have a master cylinder like the one in the pic below>

This is the same bike/frame that you should have? Atomik Reign KLX style bike

Reign Bigfoot 150cc - MX Bike - Dirt Bikes

9510d877-f2c3-458f-bd8e-c0b68ff948dc-xlg.jpg

I would be trying everything possible including changing the shock before going back to drum brakes, A disc brake setup is meant to & certainly will work on that frame its just a matter of having the correct parts

Last edited:
thanks for the pic, i'l see that i can do, hopefully i can fit that resivor just abit more stuffing around

Nah I think trying to get drum brakes to work on that frame will be more stuffing round

The master cylinder (not reservoir just so you know) WILL certainly fit, You just need to make sure you have one with the correct length rod going to the brake pedal & the correct length hose & it will all just bolt on

You can look back at this thread>
http://www.miniriders.com/minibike-reviews/35025-what-i-want.html

Im sure that just about any rear brake setup off a KLX style pitbike should work?

Get some more pics when you get a chance

well i pieced togeather the bike to see what it would look like with fairing and motor in and it looks ****. too much stuffing around with the klx frame so im going to be selling a few brand new parts and either part it all out and buy a new dhz or build a crf 70.

Any pics?

I think you just had the wrong mix of parts, That swingarm is actually for a CRF50 style bike, The midsize CRF70 style swingarm should be longer, Also the KLX style swinga should also be longer to suit that frame>

CRF50 STYLE SMALLER BIKE>
002-Resized640x480.jpg

CRF70 MIDSIZE BIKE>
8005944422.jpg

Note the gap between the lower shock bolt & the back wheel, These bikes both have 12" rear & 14" front wheels, The swingarm you have is best suited with a CRF50 frame, I got mine new for $55 plus postage>

http://www.miniriders.com/china-builds/35841-thumpinozs-build-3.html

I think I gave you all the details where to get the frame? Or you can get the same sort of frame from DHZ but better quality apparently for a lot more $$$'s

Last edited:
before i got the swinger, i checked with my old klx swinger and it was exactly the same size, i can't figure out where it got so **ed up, but it just doesnt sit right.

i think im just gonna part it out and buy this, will end up cheaper as i pretty much have to buy everything again..

DHZ DPRO 140, LKI Sticker Kit, New Release

Yeah it will save you a lot of headaches & you can just get out there & ride

I think you could put your alloy swingarm on the 140? I know that it should fit on this one & you get a bigger motor too>

DHZ DPRO 160

Surely these DHZ bikes have an alloy swingarm already but they yucky grey just does not look the best to me?

Latest posts

Back