My Atomik 160cc - custom mod's & fabrication

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISL33P

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Back, around Easter, I posted a thread about Atomik's and people's thoughts.....and from what you guys said, it sounded like it would be good enough for me, which is mainly mucking around at my oldies farm.

I am not going to join a local club and go racing, except against my brother on the little track we are making and slowly extending. The track is on the side of a hill with plenty of tight turns and mainly get around it using 2nd and 3rd gear.

Anyway, so I got it a few days before Easter, put it together and lucky for me my backyard it big enough so I putted around on and off for about hour, just giving it a quick run in.

I then headed to my oldies farm in the Snowy Mountains (116 acres) for the Easter weekend and run it in as well as having a good thrash with my brother who borrowed a mates 140cc DHZ.

First impressions................DAM this thing moves!!!! It toasted the DHZ very easily.

So fast forward to now and my brother has taken it for another weekend at the farm, and this weekend I was sick of working (I fabricate custom made car parts from home on weekends, and work for a Drag/Show car fabricator during the week) so I wondered over to the bike to kick it over since it had been a couple of weeks and then I got thinking about some modifications and fabrication. Hopefully they translate into reality and this is the start.

I know there are plenty of mod's I should do first up (apart from the K&N Air filter and Lincoln Electric - my welder of choice - stickers, inlet and exhaust match porting for starters, but I thought I would look at the less obvious - the others I will get to as I go over it all.

First thing I noticed was the crappy mesh blocking the exhaust in the muffler just before the outlet and once I pulled it apart and removed it. I also notived that around the edges, the exhaust gases seems to go past this, not making for a very good seal on the outlet, so I changed the tungsten on my tig to suit steel from aluminium and here is the result.

Next mod's will be the inlet and exhaust port matching which I might get onto them during the week and also buy a K&N air filter to match the stickers LOL....I will continue to post up pics as I go along.

Keep an eye on this thread for things that I hope might be a little more than just the usual...fingers crossed.

Hope you all like it.

Cheers,
Ariel

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 115
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 49
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 61
Thanks.

I forgot to mention, before I do anything further I am going to try and get it dyno'd this week and then do the mod's as I go and test them after each one.

Next mod's are inlet and exhaust mod's, then while on the dynom, change the air filter and see if there is any gain.

After that will be reversing the carby to face forwards so it get the incoming air directly which might mean moving the oil cooler so there are no restrictions.

I also forgot to mention my previous experience came from fiddling with my brother-in-laws harley imtation thing. In the space of about 4-5 hours and using some "private" road, we go it going from a top speed of 50kph to approx 78kph, no porting, no gear changes, just mucking around with carby mounting and settings, so now it is time to translate these to my own bike and see what they reflect in real life on the dyno and share them so everyone else can get the same for next to $0!!!!

Anyway, other mods will include mounting the MyChron digital dash/logger from my gokart to monitor exhaust gas temp and oil temp along with speed, tacho and shift light. Hopefully have that done before I go to the dyno which I am hoping to sueeze in on Tuesday.

edit- this also means a custom made bracket and mount with rubber mounts to absorb the vibration.

Ariel

Last edited:
nice choice, i got the same bike, i just put up a post about the exhaust (inc pics) an found that there was no point cleaning it oust as there was f-all to grind out. However the inlet manifold looked like crap so i cleaned this out with the dremel (but it didn't need matching to the carby as it is already bigger, also found another piece of mesh between the filter and carby, i also removed this as with the exhaust one), also already installed the unifilter, i have the daytona stator and electrics on order, (got the electrics but still waiting for the stator to arrive), and got a set of DNM forks on order which should be here in 3 wks (the std's bottom out on 4ft jumps), wound the rear spring right up, all this and only about 3hrs riding :) Oh well at least i can now say i'm a amature mechanic :) Anwyay let us know how you go with the reversed carby, sounds like a cool idea.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got a Atomik 160 too.. Keen to hear how the mods go....and if the dyno results show its worth it!
Was thinking of port matching the head too, will wait to see how yours turns out!

lucky we aren't holding our breath waiting for those updates, lol
did you get and new mods done yet?

lucky that....customers fab work always comes first and like all projects they always take longer then expected....watch this space :)

Latest posts

Back