My chain is eating my swingarm!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey fellas,
im thinking about just putting the old rear sprocket on 48 tooth. What would i have to do to the front sprocket to have the same gearing as i have at the moment: 14 fron, 37 rear ( atomik said it was 16 front but i never checked because i thought this was the case, but its 14???) If i put a 16 tooth on the front and kept the 37 rear what would happen to my gearing?
ill clear it up a bit...
ATM: 14 front, 37 rear
SHOULD: 16 front, 37 rear
Or:? front, 48 rear to have the same kinda of gearing as the smaller sprocket.

cheers guys, Michael :)

took some pics

-the damage done by the chain:
16-04-07_1124.jpg

-the angle of the swingarm:
16-04-07_1125.jpg

ok guys did a bit of searching and got some info together.
1 tooth up on front = 4 teeth up on back!
so if i went 16 front i should really have 45 on rear. But seeming how i already have a 48 tooth sitting around, should i just have that ratio (16f, 48r). What would this gearing be relitivly the same as 14f, 37r or would it have a bit more low end??? if its all good ill pop into the moto shop today with the old front and get a 16!

HEEEELP!
cheers guys, michael :)

Where is your chain guide?? Go to hard wear store and buy a block of heavy duty plastic and make one out of that, I did and its lasted a year and still going strong.

Also your chain tensioner spring is broken...

Did you just ride with out it???? Must have f**ked your chain aswell.

I went from a 37 tooth to a 41 tooth and it was terrible!!! I hated it so much, it made me soooo much slower!!

Can you even get 48 teeth sprockets for pitbikes?? I thaught you could only get 37, 39 and 41.

nah tried the plastic nylon blok..lasted 1 DAY lol!!!! my bike came stock with a 48. And yeah i broke the spring for the tension the other day and lost the pin..so i just cut a hair clip and put it on for now..better than nothing lol.

6 hunge posts YEWW

Last edited:
No, not the nylon block that lasts one day, get some real heavy duty stuff, the I got is green and you couldnt chew through it in one day, I ride 10 hours a day sometimes and it doesnt chew through, unlesss your chain is really sharp.

Are you sure it was a 48tooth??? Thats very big.

My chain tensioner spring broke too and I went to a spring shop and got one made out of Australian steel.

well ill definatly get some of that heavy duty stuff, amd yeah im sure the sprocket is 48..i can take a pic if you want lol, but yeah ive counted it twice to be sure. I really want to have about the same throttle respose and gear length i have now but with bigger sprockets (therefor no more rubbing) is the ratio i stated (16 front/ 48 rear compared to 14 front/37 rear which i am running at the momont) going to be much different and if so how.

cheers, Michael :p

Going from 37 to 41 was bad enough! 48 would be terrible if you like speed, take a pic I wanna see this 48 tooth sprocket.

And replacing the chain guide and tensioner spring is much more plausible solution to the problem.

no im still changing the front also! so it should even it out (adding11 to the rear should mean i should add about 3 to the front to keep it to the same, CORRECT ME IF IM WORNG PLEASE!) and be about the same it is at the moment! i was thinking tho..is there enought room to go up to 16..will the chain hit any parts of the engine or anything???

heres the pic of the 48 (the pens there for a size comparision)
16-04-07_1410.jpg

ive got 16 / 48 now,

i am changing it when my feet are healed,

first gear is useless, but i race around tight tracks, and it works great in 2nd/3rd gears,

but i recently went to a big track, and it sucked bit time, seamed to be revving hard for not heaps of speed,

iam going 39R with the 16F and see what thats like, just gotta put it on now!!

well ill get whatever gearing works best..i just wanty to heighten it so the chain clears the swingarm better...maybe 16-41?

cheers mate...i rekkon ill keep this bike up until my bday and then sell it and use the money i get from it and my bday to buy and mso!
---still hoping to know what the best gearing is if i fit a 16 on the front---

ey fellas,
just making sure a 16 front will fit on the ducar..i mean not hit any of the engine because it has a bigger diametre?

cheers! :)

Not a prob on the DUCAR I had a 17, it was tight but still didn't touch anything.

ok, thanks heaps for that mate..hopefully the moto shop has matched it up to a 'real' brand sprocket (wasnt a PW80 tho...) they were guessing an xr somethin??

damn just rang the shop and they rang all their suppliers and couldnt get one...apparently the pattern is off a REALLY old Honda/Kawasaki bike and no one in Australia can get them...ill have to look on ebay or sumthing i spose...

well its finally happened...i cant ride till i get these new parts (16 front sprocket and new chain roller), the last two times ive been riding the chain link has snapped and the gashes in the swingarm are getting deeper and deeper. ive bought the new sprocket and roller off ebay for like 27 beans all up and it should get here wednesday...hope it fixes it all! :)

i got the new parts in the mail and ive put them on.the roller spring needed a bit of bending because it was hard up against the bottom of the swinger. The 16 toothe is a fair bi bigger and from what i can see the angle is much better. nly problem is i mite need a new chain because the bigger sprocket has made the distance to far for my old chain..i mite be able to get it right but the tensioners are nearly fully back as it is! i didnt get a chance to see what the new gearing felt like becasue my back yard is the size of a shoebox and becasue the chain was soo tight i didnt want to damage anything. Thanx everyone for ya help..i hope my problems are solved now! lol

Latest posts

Back