My chinese cheapy

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macca97

Reaction score
my bike is about an 05 model zonghen 125cc thumpstar. i got it off ebay when it was new. ive moded it a few bit and the total cost so far is 100 bucks. the most expensive part was a new rear shock.
ive ported the mead and manifold, put a bigger cam, and retuned the 26mm carb, i did try a 30mm one on it that i had but it ran up to crap. made my own exhaust up that runs under the motor and stops just before the back wheel, i cut all the electric start out and other stuff i didnt need. i did have it doing 90ks easily until a broke the wheel housing and changed to a different wheel i had that had a bigger sproket on it. so far ive gone through 2 back wheels 1 front, 2 throttle cables, 1 twist mecinisam, 1 rear shock, and a few chains.

Danny

i will soon the only real difference is that the exhaust is done under the motor and ive got the bars leaning forward abit cause im 6ft aha. forgot to add, its a real pain to ride under 3 grand because of the cam, and has a huge flat spot off idle, and ive gota let it warm up before i even fell like giving it a rev.

sounds good Danny,
this thread needs pics asap though!

craig

SAM_0680_zps3e9f8c7e.jpg

SAM_0679_zps2c71913f.jpg

hope these work

Danny

looks like a good hack bike, a bit of fun ...
that exhaust would be no good for where i ride, lots of tall dry grass etc, it wouldnt take long before it started a fire.
when you retuned the carby have you tried different pilot jetting? you should be able to get rid of most of that flat spot?

is the name on the seat original? it is Ducartech backwards

yer on the other side of the seat its around the right way, i've got a long stretch of long dead grass and hasnt court fire yet. when i jetted it up it ran way to rich and wood start to cough. and still had a slit flat spot. so i went back to the jets that were in it. put the needle up a slot as it was lean in the top end, i think the flat spot is just from the amount of air capacity the manifold and port has. once its got the revs up it dont stop, quite surprising for what it is

Danny

cheers mate, its out of action again because i broke another throttle cable. and im puting all my money towards my ute so i can get it finished

fired the bike up on the weekend with some 2 stroke fuel just to help the rings, I defently need to tune it again. hopefully ill get a throttle cable soon. but its still a goer,

the throttle cables are only $10 or so inc delivery on ebay.

or you could do it the el-cheapo way like i did, and use a bike cable as the new insert into your old cable outer.
check out my PW50 thread, for some how to repair the cable pics

yer im geting a new one as i didnt relise but the one i had on it did have enough travel as i wasnt geting full throttle

fix the bike, rode it around for about a 2 weeks, go to change from 3rd to 4th bang 3rd locked up and stripped a few teeth off it, rode it around for a few does with just 1st 2nd and 4th, parked the bike up now because i dont want to cause more damage with teeth floating around in there, maybe its time to put the high comp piston in it :)

cheers mate, it actually gives a totally different note to a full system, and you cant burn yourself on it.

u may wanna check ur oil 4 metal shavings, if it has some, then u probably stripped a gear abit. but yea make sure to change ur oil, u dont wanna make it worse.

i think the old bike is pretty well rooted ive had it 5 maybe 6 years and ive always pushed it, im not gonna ride or start it as i no ive stripped the gear and dont really want to make it worse, i might just put this up the back shed and get the old 73 xl250 going :) the old cheapy deffently need a rebuild.

well the poor old bike is rooted, stripped all the teeth of 3rd gear as the chain came off at full throttle and got stuck, still ride around every now and again, even with all that metal floating around, just go 2nd flat than to 4th and let it pull, been running it on wat ever i can find as abit tight for cash, so kero, thinners, oil petrol, old octane booster, splash of e85, bit of fresh petrol and some old outbourd 2 stroke oil and it still runs well and even smells nice :)

Latest posts

Back