My new /used road bike, 1990 FZR250 3LN3 Yamaha, Fizzy

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my67xr

Miniriders Legend and Master Spanner Spinning Mode
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen i have recently got my bike L's and i've just picked up my first road bike a Yamaha FZR250
I got it fairly cheap and it need's a bit of work etc but i'm pretty happy with it so far.

I went to motor reg yesterday and transferred it into my name and registered it for 3 month's, cost $112
I fitted my L plate and took it out for it's first ride this afternoon which was interesting.
Laying over the tank and having your toe's pointing at the ground is a very different feeling to what i'm used to as well.

When i left home it was fine and the sun was out and i started getting used to the bike.
About half an hour into the ride the skies got overcast and it started raining which was fun, not!
It's surprising how much speed you lose dropping back a gear to slow down, this little 250 love's to rev and doesn't do a lot under 5000 rpm.
The road's were pretty wet on the way home and i felt the rear tyre slip a few time's on the greasy road
Anyway i got it back home safe and i'm quite happy with my purchase.
I definately need a road bike helmet, and some waterproof pant's

I took all the fake bullet hole sticker's off, and the 2x naked lady's holding a checkered flag's off from behind the front indicator's to tidy it up
Found out the some of the sticker's are reflective too

Last edited:
Nice bike Craig. Is this one of those crazy cylinder bikes that rev to nearly 20K?

Thank's, yeah it's an inline 4 cylinder (4x 48,5mm piston's), 46 hp @ 16,000 rpm, peak torque @ 12,000 rpm, redline @ 18,500 rpm
The engine has an exhaust power valve in it to help keep up gas velocity in the lower rpm's, isn't fully open till 10,000 rpm, the system is called EXUP
The 4x carby's are CV Mikuni's hidden up under the tank, although the guy that i picked it up from said he thought it was injected ?'
Will be interested to see what it's got when i get a chance to lift the tank up.
I used to wonder why all the sport bike rider's were alway's revving their bike's out but now i know why
Look's like the header pipe's will need to come off later and be blasted then painted too

Last edited:
Nice, Of the bike in that class of the era its probbaly the better looking one.

i was intending to get a road bike this year but might just have to do with a motard conversion for the two ive got for now

Yeah i've alway's like the Yamaha's
My mate bought the very first FZR1000 back in 1987, i remember him bringing it around to show us
That thing looked mad back then.
When he got it he ordered a heap of race gear for it too, too a while for it to arrive from japan but with it all fitted the bike made 170hp, 25hp more than stock
I remember seeing that Fat Ass back wheel, and thinking yeah that has got some grip!
He wrote the bike off about 18 month's later on the way to work, he was heading up through the hill's in morning to get to work and went through a few patch's of fog.
In the last lot of fog was a car who had stopped in the middle of the road to turn right into a side street.
Mate hit the stationary car at 100 km/h and went flying.
He blacked out and came too when the paramedic's arrived, first thing he did was spewed at them for cutting up his jean's, second thing he asked where his bike was.
It was a big pile of smoking scrap metal.
Took him 3 month's to learn how to walk again, and another 3 month's to get his new replacement bike, a 1989 FZR1000 with the extra racing part's again
He kept the new bike for year's after that

87FZR1000_2.jpg

Hes pretty lucky to get through all that.

Im not sure what im going to get when its rod bike time but most likely will be european.

I doubt a 1990 would be injected it may be ya never know but my 2002 was the last of the carby in that range. Id be surprised if it wasnt carby though.
Always fun little things to rev out haha best place to be up in the high range hehe

Nah it has 4 Mikuni CV carb's there.
I think what may have confused him is probably the sound of the fuel pump running when you turn the ignition on
They run an electric fuel pump which put's out about 1.5 psi pressure

Bought a new helmet today, an AGV K3
Tried it out this afternoon up to a friend's house for a bbq, then back home again just then
I'm very happy with it, sure is a lot warmer than my MX helmet and it make's the ride a whole lot quieter.
Pushing the left handlebar forward to turn left, and pushing the right bar handlebar forward to turn right once your off and moving is still a very new feeling to me.
I've only done 50km's on it so far and i'm starting to get the feel for it now

Its a very odd feeling but its some thing to have worked down to just instinct it has saved my life a handfull of times getting me out and around things from buckets falling off utes to animals jumping infront of me.
Also if you ever get up in the hills and think your going to run wide just look further around the corner and lean more the bike will always have more lean angle than you think.
I learnt that one the hard way when i ran off a corner doing around 120km of a 3ft drop to a big grass area scattered with small rocks. Some how missed them all stayed on the bike and had to tey and ride back up the bank

I lifted the tank today to give it a quick check over, and to see if i needed to order a fuel filter and air filter.
Both looked ok, but i'll replace them anyway.
Pulled the air box off, and had a quick look at the carby's, definately Mikuni CV's, BDST28
Downdraft, 28mm bore, vacuum operated flat slide's
Carby's are all grubby, so will be stripped down and rebuilt at a later stage
I took the fuel bowl's off for a looksy, hmm they've all got a bit of red dust in them, must have been a country bike refilled via jerry can's that'd been left open at some stage
I have given them a quick grit blast and blow out for them moment, but they'll need a full going over as i'm sure that red dust isn't just in the bowl's

I'll be ordering a Litetek rebuild kit for them, the kit is pretty well priced at $61 inc delivery from Thailand
It has 36 piece's all up
http://litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Yamaha_FZR250_3LN3.html
http://litetek.co/docs/LiteTekCarbDiagramFZR250_3LN1.pdf

FB-001_4.jpg

JH-003_4.jpg

OR-002_4.jpg

OR-001_4.jpg

OR-018_4.jpg

OR-005_4.jpg

WS-001_4.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts