My race weekend of misery (highsides, broken chains, leaking carbs)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn5236

Reaction score
Just finished up my first race weekend on my pit bike (Piranha Daytona 1504v).

I've tested it on the track about 5 times before the race and it seemed to be working really good.

Went out to race practice and within 3/4 laps in my throttle stuck wide ****ing open while coming into a sharp left hander... grabbed a handful and went flying over the bars landing and sliding on the pavement. I was probably going about 40-50 miles per hour.

If you never high sided a mini I don't really recommend it. I was wearing full leathers and really good race gloves. I went into the pits and tried to figure out what the hell caused it to stick. Took apart the carb and the slide was totally stuck (Keihin PE28 mm carb). We pulled it out and inspected and put it back in and it slide up and down perfectly WTF. Put it back together and went back out on the track (after putting the rest of the bike back into working order). I broke my left handgaurd, bent bars, lots of dirt and mud on the bike since it eventually slide off the track.

Then the throttle sticks again... this time I was ready for it and killed it without incident. Took it home and worked on it at 3am that night and racing starts by getting to track at 7am.

I think the problem was the spring for the return was getting bound up and stuck. I reshaped the spring a bit and tested it by turning the throttle 100 times and it worked perfectly. Still didn't trust it though.

Went out to track to race (1st race ever for me mind you). I am hellaciously sore that morning from the crash. List of things that hurt, my right foot, both of my knees, my wrist. Once I got moving though I started feeling okay.

Took the bike out 1st practice and it is working good. That practice is asphalt only. The 2nd practice was dirt with jumps and asphalt. There the carb started bogging after the dirt section but seemed to clear fairly quickly once I got back out on the asphalt for a bit.

1st race was dirt and asphalt. Good start but I'm the only mini out there it's all big bikes and me. So it didn't take long for them to pass me. 1/2 way into the race the bike just starts bogging like crazy and no power and pull off the track and push it in.

2nd race is all asphalt and all minis. Got a great start, and hung with the 2 lead guys for the first 3 laps and we are having a blast. The the chain snaps coming into the back straight. Luckily didn't chuck me off the bike. Again DNF the race.

3rd race is moto 2 of big bikes vs. my China crap good start and hanging with the back guys then the bogging starts again after the jumps and dirt. It clears after I come to a stop and I get back going good and finish the race... pretty close to last place though ugg.

4th race when I get to the line after the warmup lap the bike is leaking gas all over the place and they let me go anyway after routing in a catch can. Then the things bogs to **** after the start and dies another DNF.

Ready to throw this bike in the dumpster. I am whining but that's racing. I did however test quite a bit to make sure I had reliability, and I felt I did. On race weekend it just all went to hell. Probably will just buy a new carb since sticking throttle and gas spilling all over the place is an unacceptable risk.

I am not the best mechanic in the world so at the end of the day it's probably all my fault. I just want to race and ride. I was feeling pretty confident against the minis and holding my own against some CRF150's and the guys were giving me respect for going out there on a China and going hard.

Oh well just gotta fix it and test it and get out there again and stop *****ing. I am really glad I have some decent gear cause otherwise I probably would be a lot more that just a bit sore. I also own a fitness center and work out a ton so being in good physical condition and a former gymnast might of helped. I did a nice dismount and crashed fairly gracefully if that's possible.

CRASHING SUCKS. I was totally energized on race day but when I got home after the races I nearly collapsed with exhaustion. I think it was a combination of the crash, no sleep, stress, and adrenalin.

Can't wait to do it all again though what's wrong with us :)

couple of crappy pics I am in black #15
Screen%20Shot%202015-05-04%20at%2012.46.26%20AM_zps4nhbhet7.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-04%20at%2012.46.56%20AM_zpsld2lrzam.png

Last edited:
Good write up mate.

Sound's like the float arm's might be bent and your float level is too high ?
Either that or there's something floating around in your needle and seat.
Not sure why your carby is sticking open at WOT though?
Any wear on your slide?
Did it stick open both time's on a l/h bend ?
There could be a kink in your throttle cable and when turn that direction the kink might jam the cable up?
Also check your throttle too, your grip's can make the throttle stick against the housing, or on bar end's too

So are you going for the same PE28, or try out the PWK32 maybe ?
I have a Polini PWK28 on my 190, but want to try out something better/bigger maybe ?

I can't say my experience was in any way comparable, but I had a front brake hose pop at the end of the main straight at about 90km/h (~50mph) haha, that was fun!!

Far out that's sounds like just a bad weekend of luck.

Also sounds a lot like us all heading to Sinister event. haha.

Up late multiple nights trying to get everything sorted. Think they are all reliable and then something else happens. lol

How did the bike go the other weekend Shawn?

So old post but on my second race weekend.

This was all minis this time in a class called mini gp's. Really awesome crew. I went out in practice at a new track and was just putting around not feeling comfortable at all. The bike was bogging off of the bottom and the track was really long straights mixed with tight turns and chicanes.

I was pretty frustrated in practice and all of the guys were experienced and fast. Kinda felt like packing it in thinking I would be in the way in the race.

Get out there for race one thinking I will just putt around and grabbed a decent start sitting in 3rd into the first corner. After the 1st lap I was hanging with the lead group pretty comfortably so I decided to make a move and went into 1st place on the 2nd lap and just ran perfect laps the rest of the race and finished #1 uncontested. It felt awesome. 2nd race I finished 4th which was with the expert dudes so I was pumped and 3rd race I was sitting in 3rd in the lead pack and lost the front on a low speed corner with a low side... got up and finished mid pack. 4th race I finished mid pack... I was kinda rattled from my low side I think and getting tired.

Fun weekend of racing for sure and I guess the lesson for me is... practice is practice and racing is racing.

Awesome new's Shawn !
So pilot jet might need to be upped 1 or 2 size's then ?
This is with the 190 bottom end back in ?

Any footage ?

No this report was from last months racing no racing yet on the 190. I have been riding my Ninja 300 at the track a lot lately but should be back racing mini's here again soon... I hope. Biggest problem for me has been keeping them running. I have hammered my Ninja and not a quip from it so there is definitely a quality difference obviously. I also must say that most of the engine problems I've experienced are from tuning trouble (no problem with a fuel injected bike)... and chasing for power (haven't gone there yet with the Ninja.

The only footage I have from that rest is my low side which I posted on Facebook... sitting in 3rd trying to find the pace of the leaders and lost it. I was running the 150 here and it was bogging bad off the bottom but still had a ton of fun that day. The guy who passed me for 2nd and took the lead is one of the best road racers in our state on big bike and loves the minis. He rides a pimped out kx 65... it's freakin' nice. The leader was on a KTM65 and it was quick I couldn't catch him.

[video=youtube;IAZMbmJPNQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAZMbmJPNQs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Stick with it mate.

If you are getting that close on the 150 I reckon the 190 will beat them!!

Thanks for sharing.

No this report was from last months racing no racing yet on the 190. I have been riding my Ninja 300 at the track a lot lately but should be back racing mini's here again soon... I hope. Biggest problem for me has been keeping them running. I have hammered my Ninja and not a quip from it so there is definitely a quality difference obviously. I also must say that most of the engine problems I've experienced are from tuning trouble (no problem with a fuel injected bike)... and chasing for power (haven't gone there yet with the Ninja.

The only footage I have from that rest is my low side which I posted on Facebook... sitting in 3rd trying to find the pace of the leaders and lost it. I was running the 150 here and it was bogging bad off the bottom but still had a ton of fun that day. The guy who passed me for 2nd and took the lead is one of the best road racers in our state on big bike and loves the minis. He rides a pimped out kx 65... it's freakin' nice. The leader was on a KTM65 and it was quick I couldn't catch him.

Dude that video was awsesome, I properly felt bad for you when you slid out! I was like " Ahhh man you were doing so well!" I could definitely get into some racing like that here hey! Looks like loads of fun! :thumbup:

When are you pulling the engine out to swap the 190 bottom end back in ?
I wouldn't mind seeing pic's of the inside of the the cylinder, and piston etc
Might be interested in buying the cylinder too

The 190 is back in. My flywheel and magneto/pickup unit is shot so I am again sitting on my ass watching this race weekend.

You don't want the old cylinder it is destroyed man. I have the 150 crank that is fine though. What are you looking for exactly? I am basically over this bike and ready to get a kx65 but I know I will miss that sweet four stroke power. Just want to ride more that's the fun for me... don't really like to wrench.

I want a cheap Daytona 150/190 cylinder that's way past it's use by date.
Scarred etc isn't a problem

Hey I checked in my garage and I threw that cylinder away sorry man. It large chunk was broken off at the base anyway so I don't think it was salvageable.

Damn, that's ok.
I am going to have an old cylinder bored then a new sleeve pressed in, so that would have still been alright to use.
I don't want to buy a new one for $200 odd and then bore it out etc, the final cost would be too dear

Latest posts

Back