My Road Bike Project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumbows

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Working on a new project at the moment for one of my road bikes.

My kawasaki ER5 has been with me for some time now and i've done roughly 20,000kms on the old girl so i thought it was time to make her shine.

Currently she is a dark green model probably not too far from british racing green and has silver rims with very stock/standard features.

ER5_1.jpg

So as you can see here this is what she looks like except since then i have taken the sheepskin seat cover off (this was from previous owner) and i have changed the tyres over to Bridgestone BT45Rs which are a softer sportier compound from what i was using.

Last weekend i did oil change along with spark plugs and oil filter and next weekend i am getting the valve clearances done.

So the proposed plan is so strip the paint back and redo her in candy lime green which is the same as the metallic lime on the Eddy Lawson replica superbikes. Then all the frame work and rims will be getting done in black.
All chrome areas are getting re-polished or re-chromed where needed.

Then for the performance side of things i will be getting the exhaust system replaces with a full stainless system by Staintune.

I purchased some new "streetfighter" bars for it yesterday which are half as low which changes my position to a more sports arrangement along with it being wider and less pull back by about half. And i am changing the grips over to dual compound Progrips.

This is just the start of my project and hopefully i should have all of this done by Christmas time as it's going to be a slowly fed project due to funds needing to go to more important other places like *shudder* bills and so forth.

But give me any ideas you have as i am open and have plenty of time to consider all my options and keep a look out as i post before and after shots of each thing i do. First thing will be the bars/grips next weekend as i ordered them today and i am told early next week.

The Ventura rack that is on it now has quick release nuts which i take off every weekend but seeing as though at the moment this is my daily rider of 450Kms per week then the luggage bar serves a pretty important purpose.

But yes i am hoping that she will look nice.

I've been talking with some spray painter friends on what i will be doing as far as design goes. The candy lime green will be every where is dark green at the moment and instead of having kawasaki in white it'll be in black much bigger text and written in a more sporty font also more on an angle diagonally across the tank.

I also forgot to mention that i am buying a ZRX fairing which i will be rigging up to the bike as a wind breaker and a slightly more sporty look.

And.... I keep forgetting about all the other additions.

LED tail lights to go on and new thin mirrors so i'll be getting rid of the round ones and it will give it a better look.

And lastly what i can think of at the moment is getting some new Koni springs for the rear.

Last edited:
Some people don't bother with Chinese junk pittys...

I myself have given up on them and i have more of an interest in road bikes. Also some people like to read the threads on road bikes and have more of interest in this area.

Now as this is the only riding forum i am a member of and one that has a fair amount of posts and this being the general talk forum then i have every right to make a post here and i never claimed it to be a pitty so leave it bud.

i like projects, no matter what bike! i want 2 do the same thing to my dads old honda 750 (ill check it out not to sure what it is) and it is about fairly old... its been sitting in the shed since he put the chain through the crank case (not unusual for this model so we have been told) but its a nice looking bike for its age!

EDIT: Honda Super Sport 750 four that is what the original stickers/badges say! umm and it has low k's just under 50000, from what i know it is a K series! which is between early 70's to late 80's not sure atm!

UPDATE: it looks like this (but not so new/clean) http://www.motosclassicas70.com.br/750_F1_1975.jpg

Last edited:
Yea guys should mention i recently saw a Kawasaki 2001 ZX-6R nose fairing mounted to one of these and i must say it looked pretty mint.

Just gotta source one and that is the hard part.

So if anyone hears of one becoming available let me know.

Yea i did at one in silverwater they claim to be the biggest source of parts in NSW or something anyway they didn't have any and they said they were fairly hard to come by because if anyone has a stack it's usually the fairing that gets wrecked in accident.

Anyway I found a mob in the UK that make up custom full body fairing and have a distributor out here so i am going go have a look at some of them soon.

If anyone is interested the link is Powerbronze.com.au - Home PagePowerbronze.com.au - Home Page

Hey Guys the mob that does the fairings powerbronze make a headlight fairing for my bike that isn't over the top but looks alright.

CC8DC1DA-69EC-4849-9EA0-67F4948A0C5.jpg

Tell me what you think.

I know they look ugly but they hell handy and when the majority of your riding is with luggage then they are worth it and the best bit is come saturday morning you just take 2 nuts out and bam it comes straight off and looks like a sporty bike again.

Some people don't bother with Chinese junk pittys...

I myself have given up on them and i have more of an interest in road bikes. Also some people like to read the threads on road bikes and have more of interest in this area.

Now as this is the only riding forum i am a member of and one that has a fair amount of posts and this being the general talk forum then i have every right to make a post here and i never claimed it to be a pitty so leave it bud.

whatever get that shit of the minibike forum.

So i rang the australian distributor for these nose fairings above^ and he tells me $395 in black and another $50 for carbon look.

So i know that there is going to be money spent on this thing but $395 for a little bit of plastic to hug my head light seems just a tad rich.

haha... well you could always buy one! send it over to china and get the to make a mold and mass produce them! then you can go flog them off for $200!

well now there's an idea but who's got time for that!

Going exhaust pipe shopping in 2 weeks time but the new bars and grips will be going on sometime time this week so i'll update the thread as soon as i have the pictures.

Latest posts

Back