Need Help Identifying a late 70's Honda 50cc

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madA

Reaction score
Hello, My 1st Post on my 1st day - pls be kind

I have 2 identical bikes that my father gave me in around 1977-8 & I'm hoping somebody can tell me something about them. I think they were new back then but are looking a bit sad now (they have been in my folks garage since 1980). I'm looking to restore one & give them on to my son whose 12yr's so I think its ideal for a 1st bike.

From what I can see they are clones of the Honda Z50 something's. The gbox case has a Honda badge but the tank's are mark with "Scrambler Horse" & the colours are Blue & White. The tyres, gbox, engine & frame look like a Z50 but they don't require a battery & run the brakes & headlight from the magneto/generator. Both have the same fault where there's no spark & I've done an initial cleanup & can only assume the coils have gone o/c due to some corrision perhaps between the copper & alloy facings (thats a guess). But both have good compression & they didnt get much use back then as the tyres still look brand new. The carby is stamped with KeiHin (japan) so I'm hoping thats genuine.

I tracked down from CH Performance, CHP, Classic Honda USA, Honda CT70, Z50, Pit Bikes, Monkey Bike, XR50, CRF50, NSR50, XR70, CRF70, Pit Bikes, Honda Minitrails, XR100 and NOS, Kitaco, Takegawa Parts and services. a spare part for the coils & they tend to matchup to a K2 or K3-78 model Honda - Would this sound about right.

Anyway I'm hoping my pictures attached will say a lot more & I'm also hoping sombody can guide or advise me as to what they are - Were they popular & are parts easyish to get.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Attachments

• ScramblerHorse01.jpg
    ScramblerHorse01.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 128
  • ScramblerHorse02.jpg
    ScramblerHorse02.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 88
  • ScramblerHorse03.jpg
    ScramblerHorse03.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 77
  • ScramblerHorse04.jpg
    ScramblerHorse04.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 74
  • ScramblerHorse05.jpg
    ScramblerHorse05.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 76
Hi and welcome,

sign up to this, youll get a much better reply, there are heaps of guys there that know so much about these bikes,

youll be so happy you did,

theres not many oldschool fellas here,

Cheers

:: Index

If they where coppied from Honda at the same time then they are copys of the Honda hard tail made between the late 60s very early 70s.

Im not sure but it could be a 1968 Z50 which are very rare but they dont have rear suspension.. dont know. Could just be a type of Z50 honda made or copy of one..

Thanks for the quick replies. Up until now I never pinned much chance of getting spares. I tried bypassing the magneto when I discovered the coil was faulty. I rigged up a car coil to 6v via the original points but it didnt fire correctly & I assumed the points must be at a different timing angle/position with the effect of a magneto spark to a conventional spark (again just a guess).

I dont think its from 1968 - as my dad told me he bought these 2 directly from an importer. He said he paid $400 each which I suppose was a lot back in 1977.

You have a 1970's Scrambler Horse. They were modelled on the hard tail Honda Z50a's but this had rear suspension. I think they were made in indonesia or some other asian country but not from Japan. They had Honda engines - yours has a C100 style pushrod engine, most have a Z50 OHC style engine. It's a pretty rare thing and yours would have to be the most complete and original one i've seen.

Wow - Thanks QA50 what a fantastic sentance. I was thinking I wouldnt be able to repair them (or at least 1).

The motor does indeed have pushrods. Does this means parts in particular the ignition section can be purchased somewhere & does a Honda C100 make sense to a supplier?.

And pls tell me more QA50 - have you seen many of these & do they still get around much - this is all so good

Thanks again

Yes , I remember them too ! If I were you I'd hang onto them and look after them because they're worth a lot more to a collector than you'd care to imagine ! :)

Have a look at the engine number and post it up here. That will tell you exactly what the engine is.

You can buy C100 parts here:

honda partsmanual fiche c100 worldwide except u s

I have a scrambler horse too. Its one with a Z50 engine and its a *lot* worse than yours! But, it has heaps of charcter and has been to hell and back!

P1190034rs.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think its from 1968 - as my dad told me he bought these 2 directly from an importer. He said he paid $400 each which I suppose was a lot back in 1977.

XR75 Hondas and GTMX80 Yamahas and YZ80A/B were only around the $352 to $500 mark in the early to mid '70's so the $400 sounds about right !

What you actually have is the '70's equivalent of todays Chinese made pitbikes ! LOL :p . The patents probably ran out on the pushrod horizontals or Honda simply didn't care at the time since they had the OHC Z-50's and SL70's which the XR's totally outsold . Everyone was either into vertical 4 strokes or the new MX 2 strokes around '77 .

Incidentally a rather rough looking '73 model XR75 sold for $2700 on ebay last week - :eek: - so who knows what your bikes might be worth !

I will go look see on the engine numbers & will post them. I noticed on your model QA50 that you have the rolled back handlebars. I have the same on 1 bike & the other bike has straight bars.

If they collectable I may have to rethink about handing them over to my son & perhaps get him one of those 110cc things on Ebay & restore the other 2 bikes back to original. I know I have all the parts for both bikes except for 1 kick start that broke off from the shaft & its mostly rust thats attacked the Chrome. I had to glue the brakes linings back onto the shoes as the glue had worn off years ago. Could be a nice long term project

yea... dont give you're son these! he will thrash them... perhaps buying a 125china would be a better go as it would be worth less and he can ride it into the ground :p

Yeah yours is too good to let it be destroyed. Unfortunately they aren't all that collectable. They are rare but not worth any great amount. Not that that should stop you restoring it though as it is still a very cool old bike with an interesting history.

P.S you should join up to monkeygarage as well - the guys there would probably be interested in seeing your bike!

qa banned me

hey qa why did you bann me with no warning at all??????:mad:

Non existant engine number & confusing GBox serial

Arghhhhhh - Any suggestions on the GBox serial numbers?. The first bikes GBox is stamped C-15113 & the other is stamped S-20038. Each are located just below the gearbox pedal on the left hand side. The Engines have a 2 small castings that protrude with 49cc on the base of the cylinder close to the gearbox & on the opposite side is BHSG .

Anyone ever seen these before or is that the norm for these engines ?

thanks

Re:- identification of late 70's Honda bike

Hi.............just googled info on my bike. It came back with your question. Have you identified it as I have exactly the same bike and no idea what it is and where to get parts. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks Grub.

I have just picked up 3 frames and was wondering if i could get an aftermarket engine for them.

Attachments

• 8058_1.JPG
    8058_1.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 22
hey man you stole my name ^^^^^^

but good pickup on the frames you could probably through a couple of china engines at these but if your gunna be fastidious about things you will pick up a coupl eof honda donks somewhere

good luck

69or70 HondaQA50

I have a QA50 the gears and kick start are messed up and it won't run. What kind of motor can I put on it maybe something newer, and where should I look?

Hey everyone I have one of these mini bikes too, has a c100 push rod engine. Does anyone know the colour code / specific name for the colours of these mini bikes? MadA any chance of helping me out with a few questions?

Latest posts

Back