need pit bike help.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minos

Reaction score
Hi, I recently went for a ride out on some gnarly trails and was coming to a down hill in 2nd, I rolled down the hill and popped into third let off the clutch and did not move an inch. The bike is not engaging gears anymore. All gears are NEUTRAL so to speak, I'm almost positive this could be the counter shaft? Could it? Was just wondering if anyone had any input, help a new user out.

Just to help maybe, there was no bangs, sparking or popping noises. Just came out of the blue. The pitty is usually reliable but I'm not really sure.

Thanks lads.

Hmmn what motor is it?
its likley the gear shaft on the other side is not meshing with the selector drum.. how does the pedal feel?

sounds like nothing has gone wrong internaly (inside the cases) Maybe the best thing to do from here is to take the RH cover off and inspect the gear shifting mechanisims and or the clutch drive etc..

Its a TDR 125cc, it honestly has been fine since since I've had it. Roughly 4 months. Maintained well, never thrashed.

Taken off front sprocket cover and analysed when switching into gear only the counter shaft spins and not the front sprocket along with the shaft.

broken gear in the gearbox maybe , or the dogs have broken off one of the gears ?
did you take the kickstart lever off and the clutch cover ?

was there any metal filing/chips in the bottom of the engine cases?
what about in the oil filter screen at the front bottom of the case ?

Last edited:
Hahaha still rolling around in my own tears.

Checked for shards like you said:

Findings:

DAGGcbY.jpg

Clutch cover is O.K.

Want to check sprocket counter shaft for shards. Oh no shards.:

yoJHeUk.jpg

Assumes the worst, as always. *Has minor heart attack*

Pulls off sprocket:
GMEqrr2.jpg

Absolutely demolished. Starts laughing, cheap chinese metal. Have a spare sprocket but going to get a nice Renthal one.

Thanks everyone for the help. Don't ever assume the worst. Thanks my67xr for getting me off my ass and looking.

Wow, i've never seen that before.
There was bolts holding the sprocket retainer to the sprocket wasn't there?

that happened to my original 125's front sprocket, and not soon after the rear sprockets teeth started to chip..

did it do any damage to the sprocket shaft ?

Not a scratch to the sprocket shaft, that was my initial thought of problem. The bolts were screwed in.
I guess you can kinda blame it on cheap metal? But either way its quite odd for the inner teething to be completely demolished but the shaft to be in immaculate condition.

yeah its pretty rare thing to happen. when you put a new sprocket on, wiggle it around on the shaft, see how much play is there.

and yeah it'll most likely be cheap metal. chinese sprockets always have been dangerous.

Latest posts

Back