New 1997 Suzuki DS80 !!!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neugz

Reaction score
Just picked up 1997 DS80 in pretty mint condition.
so all the DS80 experts hit me up, because this is a bit new to me.
My first ever bike was a 1991 DS80 when i was 5, so i thought id get it for nostalgia reasons.
any good tech tips would be great

Attachments

• ds800000000.jpg
    ds800000000.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i agree it looks sweet.

i would start off by giving it an oil change.
replace the spark plug,and fit an NGK cap to your original coil lead.
and i would check the fuel system out.
drain the tank and check for dirt etc,
loosen the carby clamps, spin it around and drop the fuel bowl off too.
and fit a new air filter.

then i'd be removing the expansion chamber and silencer.
inside the header pipe of the expansion chamber where the pipe meets the flange, there may be excess weld built up.
a quick deburr with a die grinder, and carbide tip will make short work of removing it.

then you are ready to burn the carbon/oil out of them, it will take a while to get it going, and it will be very smoky,but is definately worth it.
the silencer is a bit easier,
degrease it, repack it and the paint the whole exhaust up using VHT High Temp paint.
fit a brand new seal while you are reassembling it all.

if you want the paint to last a long time,
have the pipes lightly sandblasted or beadblasted first, the paint wont let go as easy.

are you going to get lights for it ?
did they come with it ?

thanks for all that mate.im just going over some stuff now already done spark and checked out fuel. doing airfilter now which was corroded.

i need front and rear lights but im not sure where to get them. havnt had much time to look online.?

here is the Suzuki full online Parts list for your bike,
which will give you a rough idea on prices of things, and also what goes where.
if you need to price something new from Suzuki Australia , you can quote the part number to them.
http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-ds80-1997-v_model13303/partslist/

the genuine DS80 lights haven't been available new for a little while,
but new old stock ones come up now and then on ebay.
you'll be looking for an original white front headlight surround too, like Goosemans
here is a roughy, that'd probably come up nice with a decent cleanup/polish (mine was this bad before too
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1997-97-..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8665dede&_uhb=1

yeh thanks for that mate. im going to have to suss it out today. would really light to get the lights soon. takessome time i guess.

Just picked up a headlight setup and tailight setup. just missing front headlight loom

good work,
the loom in the link i posted above is cheap
your local Suzuki dealer might be able to get them too, but are probably dearer,
the part number for the loom with globe socket is 35171-09X50

cheers man! yeh tried a few but they had nothing. i found a few of the yellow ones but i needed a white one for this model, which was a bit harder. managed to get headlight and tailight for $50 just missing headlight loom

nah, my DS headlight came off the spare parts bike.

i'll sell my bulb holder/wiring for the headlight if you want it neugz, how much are you offering ?

I've got all the stuff now guys she's all good. What gearbox oil should I run in this thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So doesn't need to be anything special? I was gonna get it but wasn't sure

i have heard of people running transmission fluid in them too.
i prefer the manufacturers spec 10w40.

Just opened up the exhaust not to much carbon. The twist at the end of the exhaust though? Help make it quieter?

yeah the torpedo shaped part helps to divert the exhaust gas as it goes through the muffler, and helps to silence it too.
the part that it slides into is the spark arrester shell

Latest posts

Back