New Lifan 125 drama drama need help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funfisher

Reaction score
Hi all,
i will try and keep a long story short ( but to explain it properly i don't think i can)
ok, i bought a lifan 125 as a spare motor for when we go away, so one of the bikes craps itself so i put the lifan in, 5 min later it is pouring oil out of the clutch cover, (hope im calling it the right thing, its the cover on the kick start side of the bike,with the small round cover with 2 bolt holding it on), when we get home i take the motor out and take it back to where i bought it from, as it is stuffed out of the box i should have got a replacement, but after much arguing, they give me a new clutch cover, after about 3 weeks(yesterday) i put the motor back in the bike, hit the kick start, no compression at all, took the magneto cover off and turned the motor over with a spanner and plenty of compression, being one of those bikes that only starts in neutral it feels like it is in gear with the clutch pulled in, this motor worked perfectly except for the oil leak, the only thing that has changed is the clutch cover, also the front sprocket is too wide for the chain to fit on but that's another story,
I hope i have explained this enough for you guys to be able to give me some advice on how to get this thing going as its the youngest boys bike and he getting cranky watching the other 2 boys ride lol
thanks heaps guys

Hey mate take the clutch cover off does it have a nut and a flathead bolt, take a photo mate.
You can loosen of the nut and turn the bolt in till you feel a bit if resistance then while holding that position do the nut back up tight. That should get it to engage again and bring back the compression so you can start it. It's got to do with the clutch not being set right. There's a vid on YouTube search for adjusting crf50 clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
+1. The lifan 125 (and other crank mounted clutch engines)kickstart drives through the clutch, if the clutch is slipping/not adjusted correctly it will behave just as you described, adjust the clutch as mentioned and you should be fine

thanks heaps guys, will have a go at it tomorrow, just a quick one, how do I post pics in case I get in trouble

loads pics onto your computer,
then when writing a reply here, click on the Insert Image box, (3rd from right) in the boxes about the text box
it will give you the option of searching for the pic in your computer, or from an image at a URL.
click on computer then click on the picture you want.
next click on the upload image box below and it will load it up on to your post.

otherwise,l start a photobucket account and load your pics there.
then right click on the img code , it will highlight it yellow, and say copied.
then paste it into your reply here.

and the sprocket problem being too wide,
the one that was supplied with the motor must be a 428 pitch, you must need a 420 pitch sprocket?
can you swap your old one onto the new motor ?
2 bolts hold the sprocket retainer plate to the sprocket, then turn it a little to take it off.

thanks my67xr, I think your right, I have a 420 pitch chain so im guessing the sprocket is a 428, and yeah I got the old motor out of that bike that the chain fitted so I will rip the old sprocket of it \, cheers again for your help

Latest posts

Back