New member, fixing up a 125 Atomik

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been looking around on these forums for a bit so i decided to register and share what i'm doing.

I picked up an Atomik 125 moto x pitbike literally off the side of the road for nothing. :D

The condition is as you'd expect from a bike of the side of the road,

The chain was snapped and jammed around the front sprocket,
The oil was as black as the ace of spades.
The battery reads 2.5V
It was missing, the front brake lever, the clutch cable and lever, the throttle twist grip and cable, the carburetor and the exhaust.

That being said there are some good points as well, it has spark, it seems to have compression, after fiddling with the brake switch, the kill switch, the starter switch and putting a new solenoid in the starter motor actually turns over.

The plan is to get the engine running, if all is well I'll invest the money in the other parts. I'll hopefully post some pics up tomorrow.

Let me know what you guys think.

i built a 125 moto x up (link in my signature) and i was trying to do things fairly cheaply, and the repairs/ things it needed all came to around $400, but in my opinion, thats money well spent. i learnt a hell of a lot when i built it up, and in the end im happy with the result.

welcome to Miniriders,

are you from SA ?
don't forget to say g'day and post your details in our Introduce Yourself thread while your here too.

sounds like something i'd find, but i haven't been lucky enough to get one off the side of the road.

sing out if you need any parts, i can usually find anything you are looking for.
get some pics up too

cheers, craig

Thanks guys,

No I'm from Victoria. I've introduced myself :)
Yeah I'm pretty happy with the find. Hopefully I'll be able to get it ride-able for a bit less than that but we'll see. I've never actually ridden a dirt bike before (I've been riding on road for years) so I'm also up for getting all the gear :/.
Really appreciate the offer of parts etc. I might need to hit you up at some point. As I'm trying to do this on the cheap second hand is always best.
I'm going to get out in the shed and do a bit of work today so I should hopefully have some pics up later.

yeah no problems,
if you have a look at the links in my signature, most of my bikes are budget builds too.

Alright I believe I promised some pics so here we go.

Here's the bike with the plastics off.

20140320_133418_zpsmkurrd2b.jpg

from reading my67xr's thread it looks like mine's got the gear position sensor, it looks like it got a little knackered when the chain snapped but I'm nothing if not fancy with a soldering iron. I initially thought it was some sort of oil pressure cut off or somthing. I think I'll permantly hotwire the start in neutral wires and buy one of those gear indicators.
20140320_133444_zps1foeqyvp.jpg

Here's the other side of the engine.
20140320_133521_zps1fx5dt0b.jpg

And here's a pic of the carb i'm going to try and get it to run with. That's off a Yamaha FZR 250 RR. it's a CV carb, anyone had a go running one of these? it's the perfect size bore, I'll need to fab up a throttle cable and a better mounting system. Plus a proper air filter that isn't part of a shirt sleeve :p
20140320_133807_zps40x0dbcu.jpg

So today I decided that I wanted to see if I could get it running, figure out if it's worth spending any dollars on. So I pulled a carb and throttle off one of those china motors for push bikes which i've got sitting around and fabbed up the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
20140320_140453_zps1zvvtcwj.jpg

Yes that's 2 intake manifolds which don't come close to fitting each other held together by liquid gasket and zip ties. If you've seen something uglier I don't want to meet your missus. :p

Anyways I bolted it all on, taped the fuel tank to it ended up pouring petrol everywhere cos the fuel line was f%%^ed wired it up to the battery on my street bike and kicked it over.

PERFECT! we have a runner, I didn't leave it running long as it's currently running an OAE (Open Air Exhaust) but it seems to go nicely.

Now that I know this I'm going to be happy to invest the time (and a bit of dosh) into getting it into running order.

and finally here's a view of the whole sordid set up that got it started.

20140320_150441_zpstd3yc2hc.jpg

lol at that 2 stroke carby setup !!
at least you know it runs i guess.

there are some specific CV carby used on pitbikes, but not a lot of people run them in australia
it's easier to just fit a china Mikuni 22/26mm copy, you can get them for around $40 off ebay

that Atomik is the same as my first pitbike.

Haha, yeah I was laughing when I put it together.

I did the rewiring on the gear indicator which looks like it's going to work quite nicely, so when I've finished with everything else that'll be another 4 bucks I'll be spending!

Yeah i did have a look at some of those "genuine" mikuni's lol since i'm trying to fix this up for next to nothing, as in I'd like to be riding it for less than $150 I think i'll try and get it running with the Yam carb.
It is a really nice one, and the bore fits the intake perfectly, Needs a couple of mods to the fuel lines to run on the bike but I'll hopefully get those done tomorrow.

Now that I've got it running, I'm going to pull the forks and clean up some of that rust, also going to try and fab up a brake lever and an exhaust pipe.

Really going for a spend my time to save money build :D

Oh btw if that was the same as your bike, can you tell me what year it is? thanks!

Last edited:
the moto-x series of bikes came out around 2007 iirc, and they havnt changed much since then, apart from cosmetic things

i bought mine used, i reckon a 2006 - 2007,
i bought it for $150 odd, cleaned it up and sold it for $450 a couple of years later

Nice find and welcome also.

It's not easy to figure out what specific year it was made with pit bikes.

They change styles and frames occasionally. Some of them have a serial number or something if you could find one maybe contact Atomik and ask them? I just bought a big foot with a 150 in it, Pit Pro frame, I think we roughly figured out it was made around 2008 but still unsure exactly...it doesnt really matter as long as you know what parts fit the bike you have, they are still all pretty compatible and parts are cheap!

The good thing is you can still get parts for everything that will fit perfectly! Those Chinese 125cc motors are pretty tough and reliable too so it should come up fine with a bit of tlc! I have a ducar 125 in one of my bikes its been reliable so far but hasnt done to many hours yet!

I wish the side of the road gave me pit bikes....all I've got this year is a small hard wood book shelf :thumbdown:

Interesting, the only reason I wanted to know aside from general interest was if I wanted to rec reg it at some point. But I guess if I don't know they don't know :D

I'm really happy with what I've read about these motor's and gearboxes, honestly i expected terrible reviews but from what I've gathered the general concensus is that if you look after it it'll look after you.
I figure with the type of oil it takes I can pretty much afford to change it every ride and given I'm a decent rider I'm unlikely to do any damage to the clutch gears etc. so hopefully should last me a while.

I've been going through some things in my head about how to fab up parts rather than buy so the bill for this build is going down rapidly. Even if I decide to buy the parts later there's a big difference in buying a part for an already working bike!

Hopefully I'll get some work done tomorrow and I'll have some pictures to show for it!

Did a bit of work on this today, nothing too much. I made up a part in the lathe for connecting the throttle to the new carb, sorry no pics, i'll put some up when it's all done.

I also made a kickstand out of a bit of re-bar and a little but of steel with a lip, it's ugly but it works and it means I can move the bike around without needing to move the swingarm stand which is a PITA.
this i do have a pic of.
IMG_20140322_162635_zpsqni1xvke.jpg

and another pic of the bike with the plastics sitting on it, I'm not planning on spending any money on the bike cosmetically so the plastics will stay as is and I think if i need to repaint things like the frame, swingarm etc i'll paint them yellow to match.
IMG_20140322_162700_zpsnmjemmyo.jpg

The tangle of orange wires is where I've resoldered the wires from the gear position sensor. (I didn't have different coloured wire.

So I thought I'd make a list on here of things I need/want to do, mainly for my own benefit but also for your interest.

Needs:
Spring for kickstand,
make various parts for carb including fuel nipples and throttle linkages.
purchase an exhaust (i thought i could fab up a cheap one but i can't be stuffed - too many bends and they're so cheap) exhaust or if someone in melbourne has an old one I could have for a couple of bucks (i don't mind holes etc) it's just to get it running.
make brake lever
clutch linkage and lever.
buy chain
clean up front forks
replace bushes in rear suspension
make sure everything is locktighted.
general service - nkg spark plug, oil (again), tune carb, valve clearences, fresh brake fluid, etc.
buy gear to ride in (i've only got road gear atm)

things i want.
hour meter
tacho
gear indicator
respray frame and other various bits.
to ride the bloody thing

I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment so i'm going to do what i can for free then buy the parts i need.

couple of questions as well.
I can't seem to find an oil filter on this thing? does it have one or do i just change the oil as often as possible and cross my fingers?

Valve clearances - I understand they're 3thous for the inlet and 4thous for the exhaust is that normal operating temperature or cold?

Exhaust/chain - since i need to get them anyway is there something a little more upmarket i could be looking at instead?

Thanks guys
Tom

Last edited:
the only differences i can spot between my old bike and the latest bike for sale on ebay is new soft grips, new style fuel tap, and a fuel filter...
NEW Atomik Moto X 125cc Motor PIT Dirt Bike 4 Stroke Electric Start | eBay

i spotted something a little different, just looking at the pics.

Atomik seem to have changed the rear hub/sprocket bolt configuration. it actually looks alot similiar to the furie's rear sprocket, only smaller, different pitch, etc. which is good to hear, because the older style was impossible to find sprockets for!

regarding the chain mate, you cant beat the DID NZ3 for the money. grab it at DHZ for the cheapest price DID 428NZ Gold Chain, 120L

i have one on my 125 moto-x, only in 420 pitch. i have only had to adjust it about 5 times. seriously the best chain i've used.

for exhaust, try and get something stainless if money will allow. it'll last alot longer, the non stainless china pipes i have found rust extremely easy due to the impurities and poor quality of the steel.

valves are set when cold,
and the oil filter screen is inside the clutch cover, take kickstart off, remove cover and it is at the front bottom of the case.
it is directly above the chrome drain bolt, but inside the case

engin3.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back