New to forum - Atomik vs DHZ vs TMX

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerdims

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Can anyone give me a rundown on the difference between these bikes?

Not looking at doing any jumps or anything but just wondering if someone can help shed some light.
I'm looking for a 'cheap' pit bike that i can use on go-kart tracks with slicks and basically setup as a mini motard. Currently looking at just 125cc models.

TMX
Currently the TMX is the cheapest. I noticed there is an AX, EAX and OX. I know the EAX is the same as the AX but electric start. What about the OX? is the only difference the upside down forks?

ATOMIK
I think the one i'm after is the nitrous, as that is the one with the 14" and 12" rims. Is that the main difference between the other bikes? I noticed one of the other Atomik's had dual exhaust system but that was it.

DHZ
Only one i've seen is the Outlaw125. Any good?

The DHZ and the Atomik are roughly the same price, around $950-$1000.
The TMX is around $650.

I read somewhere that the TMX frames are rubbish and they snap easy?

What mods need to be done to these bikes as well?

I saw someone wrote to pull it apart and re-loctite everything, thats a given, what about the chain and handlebars? DID chain and Pro-Taper bars? Anything else?

If someone who knows a bit about these can let me know advantages and disadvantages of each that would be great, thanks

-Dim

TMX is just your standard china pitbike,
DHZ make some really good bikes and are a site sponsor although im not 100% familiar with thier models. I have seen a lot of mini motard riders that run Atomik Nitrous bikes and love them. I would reccommend at least a 150 for motard riding though. If it is a lifan 150 theyre pretty tame compared to the yx/zonga engines.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Tmx/tdr are poo imo. Bad frames, horrible suspension etc etc. If dhz still sell the dpro125 look at that, I remember another member saying they have higher footpeg mounts, enabling more lean angle etc. Either the dhz or atomik are both solid frames, both would need bar upgrades (protapers, renthals etc) and probably fork upgrade depending on how good you want the bike to feel. You could maybe get away with a oil change in the forks, but the stock forks on all these bikes are pretty harsh feel wise.

Thanks for the info guys...been looking around and noticed what you said about the LIFAN engine...the 125 LIFAN engine is air cooled and around 9HP whereas the 160cc YX engine is double the horsepower at about 18
(according to the ATOMIK website).

So couple of quick questions:

1. Brand new the 160 nitrous is 1300...found some on gumtree and ebay for around the 300-600 mark, any thing to be careful of in particular for 2nd handies?

2. Are all the engines interchangeable as well? or do they have different mounting bolt positions on the frame? just thinking as if i end up getting a 125 second hand cheapy, and then can i just throw in a 150cc new YX motor ($~450ish)

3. also last question...for now much difference between the years? So if i bought a 2011 or 2012 bike, is there much difference in performance, parts, frames etc?

I don't see myself using this on dirt at all. purely will use it on bitumen, so asides from handlebars and what you guys mentioned above, maybe modify front forks and change oils, chain etc, anything else that would need to be done?

Thanks in advance..

Look for cracks in the frames, slop in headstem bearings, wheel bearings and swingarm bearings. If your buying secondhand try find a bike with adjustable forks, this will save you four hundred odd bucks (average price of gpx black label forks)
Mounting postion is all the same, only thing to watch is exhaust port angle, most 125s are crf50 port, and so are the yx engines, the zonghen 155 engines are klx port. Another engine to keep in mind is the gpx125, its a ripper of a engine, and alot lighter than the bigger bore engines with very similar power outputs, and the ability to rev to the moon! Some port work on its head would see it beating a yx150 imo
Not to sure about difference in models over the years, try for as new as possible :)

Sweet as thanks...yeah just noticed that about the crf50's, but I reckon the atomik frames look waaaayy better

Thwe yx160s dont make 18hp (at least stock) and are very good engines (i use one myself). Will have sufficient power. But are a lot snappier with power.
The only difference between the yx150 and 160 is the stroke length.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Yx 150 would be lucky to make 16hp stock, let alone 18hp lol. On the backside dyno I reckon the gpx 125 feels damn close to a 150 power wise, just a little lacking in torque.. if I wad looking to build up a motard I would look for a 2nd hand dpro with a blown engine but good forks and shock, and jam a gpx 125 with headwork in it for a light very maneuverable bike with enough punch to still be fun.

Yx 150 would be lucky to make 16hp stock, let alone 18hp lol. On the backside dyno I reckon the gpx 125 feels damn close to a 150 power wise, just a little lacking in torque.. if I wad looking to build up a motard I would look for a 2nd hand dpro with a blown engine but good forks and shock, and jam a gpx 125 with headwork in it for a light very maneuverable bike with enough punch to still be fun.

Any reason for a dhz over an atomik?
Saw this one that's cheaper too (if comparing new)
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=272023567394&alt=web

Not too sure about the engine though

The DHZ D Pro 125's have higher pedal's, so more ground clearance is alway's good for Motard's.
The D Pro 160's are on special atm @ $1199

The D Pro 140's are longer wheelbase (1190mm) by 30mm, DPro 125 and DPro 160 are 1160mm

DHZ still might have a DPro 125 but it's not on their web page's.
BuzzBike's also sell it

Look at the older DHZ outlaw motard's too

WH-52.jpg

DHZ-05.Motard.jpg

Last edited:
The DHZ D Pro 125's have higher pedal's, so more ground clearance is alway's good for Motard's.
The D Pro 160's are on special atm @ $1199

The D Pro 140's are longer wheelbase (1190mm) by 30mm, DPro 125 and DPro 160 are 1160mm

DHZ still might have a DPro 125 but it's not on their web page's.
BuzzBike's also sell it

Look at the older DHZ outlaw motard's too

Yeah I think the top contender now is the dhz 160 that's on special

Give them a call, them might offer you a fork upgrade option for a bit extra

Give them a call, them might offer you a fork upgrade option for a bit extra

I'll be buying two as well. It already has the upgraded gpx shock in the rear though yeah? What's the engine like compared to the yx?

just so you know the dhz 160 will only be on special till the 17th of this month, and theyre on special cause they wont be in stock till then. you will be doing a preorder to get it at that price.

Thanks liljohn. Will make sure I put an order in before then. Any details about engine comparible to the yx? It's one of those things where I want a decent setup, but don't want to buy something then think "crap, should've bought 'X' instead"

allgod just thought id let ya know as theyll be around 1500-1600 once theyre in stock.

i like the z160ho, few of my mates have them and theyre about the same power as my custom gpx146 hicomp engine that ive got about $1200 into. with a cam theyd probably smash my bike.

From the Introduction thread-

Hi everyone,
Name: Dimitrios (Dim)
Ride: Looking to get a chinese pit bike to use as a mini motard

Cheers Craig

Spewing cause I'm trying to offload my bro inlaws dpro 160, it's taking up room in my shed! ;)

I reckon if someone showed up with $500 cash he'd take it. There's literally 4-5 hours on it

Latest posts

Back