no good earth spots

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naked racer

Reaction score
hey everyone i dont know if im posting this in the right place or not but

im having a problem earthing the wires on my 125 pitbike

i have them all wired together and i have earthed them in between a bolt and the frame

there is a slight zap i get when i put my finger inside the plug but nowhere near enough to start it

now i know its an earth problem because i was kicking it harder and harder every time i tryd to get a good spark and the whole time i had my finger in the plug and on the last kick i had to grab the front brake and it zapped the sh** out of me i felt it go from my finger that was in the plug to my hand that was holding the brake

its like i was earthing it with my body

is here any way to get a better earth i have tryd to earth the wires individually but that kills the spark completely i have also tryd putting the wires in other spots but the only way to get a good spark is by putting my finger in the plug and grabbing a piece of metal with my other hand

is there anyone else that has had this problem that can shed some light on the situation

thanks guys

Last edited:
take the spark plug out of the head, put it in the end of the plug socket and then put the plug against the head. By doing this you can see the spark jump from the centre electrode to the earth pin of the plug.

What you are saying is normal, and does not mean your wiring is faulty.

The spark has to jump to earth, if it jolts you when you touch earth its working fine.

hey guys thanks for your replys any idea's are appreciated

i did that this morning but couldnt see any spark and i have been waiting for it to get dark so i could see properly

it is now 10:37pm (adelaide) and i have just done it again but cant see any spark

i should mention that its a second hand zongshen 125 motor i got for $60 and it had no spark when i got it but has really good compression

it has spark now but only when i earth it by putting my finger in the plug and holding the brake leaver if i take my finger off the leaver i dont get zapped untill i touch it again while kicking it over

i have not had it running yet but i have seen it run in another bike and all the wires coming from the motor are different colours to the wires on the cdi and coil so im thinking maybe i have not connected them properly

i used this diagram to wire up the motor

engine-wire.jpg

big thanks to Trashthumpy for posting it i would not have gotten this far without it

Last edited:
id be checking the stator plate with a multimeter.
red/black wire you want around 400 0hms
blue/white wire you want around 120 0hms

pointless rewiring it until you check those.. after that id be replacing the wiring hardness, cdi, spark plug and coil to new items so you know there perfect..

earthing straight to the engine is the best spot, but if the harness is in good condition then it will all be earthed in the harness and no need to add to it..

how many wires should be coming from the stator plate because i only have 3 and they are

black/red stripe

solid white

solid yellow

i havent got the yellow or white connected o anything because i thought they where for lights or something?

am i missing a wire and do i have to connect the yellow and white wires?

you are missing the green wire which is earth.... probly the heart of your problem lol.

run all your earths to your engine and see what happens

and yep white n yellow are for a charge circuit

how many earth wires should there be i have 3 because i dont have the kill switch connected but im putting it on now just as a precaution and im gonna play around with the wires a bit too i have the diagram so if it doesnt work i can put everything back to the way it was ill let you know how i go

id be checking the stator plate with a multimeter.
red/black wire you want around 400 0hms
blue/white wire you want around 120 0hms..

i cant get my hands on a multimeter at the moment so ill have to start with the wires

okay i have found that the handle bars are the only place that will give a good spark i have try"d on almost every spot i could, engine and frame but nothing

i took the spark plug out and put it in the cap then put the end of the spark plug on the handle bars and i got a heaps good spark i also tryd to hold all the earth wires to the bars and they zapped me really bad are the earth"s meant to do that?

i have taped all the earth wires to the handle bars but it still wont start so i took the plug out again and put a bit of petrol down the hole and still nothing i also tryd to put petrol in the carby but that didnt work either

i have run out of ideas and none of my mates will help me so this place is my last resort i really appreciate everyone trying to help thank you so much 1 persons idea leads to another and another

lol good spark only at the handle bars does not make sense...

you either have one big mess in your wiring or you have a freak bike lol....

think its time for photo's of the wiring and stator plate and anything that might help us help you..

its just a pic off the net so never mind the red arrows

its the same set up as my one but mine has only got the back/red, yellow and white its missing the 2 green wires next to the black/red

how-to-remove-a-stator.jpg

i will find the camera in the morning and take photos of mine

Last edited:
thanks to everyone that helped me out i got it running this morning it was the 2 missing green wires

i found some old wire and reconnected them and it started first kick but its spluttering and popping like crazy does anyone know how far out the mixture screw should be

thanks again you guys are the best

Last edited:
good work...

mixture screw in the perfect world should be around 1 to 2 turns out

also in the perfect world other people would finish off their threads with what the problem was i found a lot of spluttering threads but none with a solution to the problem

i done the mixture screw but that wasnt it so i need to try adjusting the pin and float level hope it one of them is there any thing major that could cause this

it coughs and back fires at half throttle

Last edited:
dont adjust the float level unless you really have to..

strip the carb to bits and blow it & the jets out and reassemble.. also check the slide needle cant raise on its own..

next check your rocker clearance and spark plug gap or just put a new plug in it..

i thoroughly cleaned out the carby and i put a new plug in the other day so ill check the needle and let you know

thanks mate

no good

i made sure it had the clip thing that holds it down and then i tried putting the c-clip on each setting but that didnt do anything either

Latest posts

Back