Noob changing fork oil

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEO DPRO 037

Reaction score
Sooo, today I had some spare time so I changed my fork oil.. it really is as easy ive ive been told..
Lets keep in mind im not mechanically experienced.

First I had to take off my brake calliper.
2 allen key bolts, easy as!
Then dropped out the front wheel.
Again very easy!!

uploadfromtaptalk1412933815766.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412933829408.jpg

then I undid the caps on the top of the forks, imo it wouldnt be possible after loosening the forks. I then, one side at a time undid the tripples and slid out the forks.

uploadfromtaptalk1412934346514.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412934357134.jpg

And finished undoing the top of the forks and they looked something like this.

uploadfromtaptalk1412934542769.jpg

I made my commonly used milk crate into a fork support to drain the fork oil into a clean measuring jug, And the bottom of a 2 litre coke bottle.

uploadfromtaptalk1412934620406.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412934636542.jpg

I then combined the 2 containers and it measured 375ml total.
Therefore around 187.5 ish ml per fork.

uploadfromtaptalk1412934859835.jpg

I replaced the oil with 200ml of castrol 15w fork oil each side as I was told I could make them firmer by adding a little bit more than I took out.

uploadfromtaptalk1412935010022.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412935019585.jpg

I screwed the caps back on and reassembled the forks in the reverse steps as I explained before..
I did cause some minor cosmetic damage to the top if the forks by using a pipe wrench and multigrips instead of a large enough spenner but thats what you get when a builder works on a bike.

uploadfromtaptalk1412935395604.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412935405872.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412935415562.jpg

Yeah whaddya do it works fine by me!

Bikes back together and it looks like an inexperienced mechanic never touched it.. Go ME!!!

uploadfromtaptalk1412935505005.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412935514797.jpg

Nice Work !
You might need to pump them a few times to bleed any air out.
So how do they feel now ?

you can use a Red Permanent Marker to touch up the marks if you want to.

Pump them...
Can I do that while theyre on the bike?
What part does the bleeder on the top play in the process?

yeah roll it forward, pull the front brake on and push down a few times.

the bleeder screw on top is for letting out air pressure.
when you're out riding for a while the oil expands as it heats up and causes a bit of pressure in the forks.
if left, it can make oil seep out past the fork seals.

same thing after transporting it with the front tied down, compressing the forks.
bouncing around on a trailer etc, it can build u pressure then too.

So just pump it a few times and undo the bleed screw to let the air out.. get in the habit of doing this quite regularly then? Im assuming that the first ride will rattle a few bubbles to the top??

nah when you refill them it can take a little for the oil to settle in the valving of the forks.
if they feel a little soft it might be because they still need to oil to be pumped around a bit,

just bleed the pressure off after a decent days ride.

Yeah Id certainly say they feel soft, well I was expecting firmer but ill keep ya'all updated after I ride it.

Only undo the air bleed screws with the forks off the ground too, never when they are compressed or have weight on them.

Watch those air bleeds, mine snapped off, had to epoxy them back in place. (for cosmetic reasons)
The screw is aluminium and so it the housing, makes for a stuck screw.

So now that they do feel quite soft is that common after an oil change? Will they actually firm up naturally?

Watch those air bleeds, mine snapped off, had to epoxy them back in place. (for cosmetic reasons)
The screw is aluminium and so it the housing, makes for a stuck screw.

Mine did too on the Atomik, i have some replacement's to fit before i sell the Fuse
Give the 2x bleed screw's a spray with Inox/WD40 a day or so before you want to take them out, might lessen the chance of snapping them ?

i don't think they'll firm up any more than what they are now.
you might need to add a spacer to each spring

Latest posts

Back