oil cooler

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clunky64

Reaction score
hi all
just bought a dodgy atomik 140 which i do not want to spend any money on,it does however have a crack in the oil cooler which is leaking and i just want too disconnect it and throw it away,do i just have too block off the outlets or is this part of the oil flow system and need to run between the outlets.
also when a carburettor has for example 22 on it is that a physical width measurement or a delivery rating or what? if it is a measurment what is measured
thanks all
in adavance

drain the oil and go to the local minibike shop and you can buy bolts that fit into where the oil lines come out of the engine and just get rid of the cooler i reckon shell be rite then

is that what they did to yours just put bolts in the outlets?

yep they just took the cooler off and put special bolts in the holes , pretty sure all the cooler does is feed the oil up the lines into the cooler then it cools it from the air hitting the cooler then the oil going back to the engine so ist nothing special if i am right

but you still have to put oil in the bike like normal

do u mean u run a line from the 2 holes from both holes in the engine?

coz if you dont run a line there could be possible problems as there is no oil flowing thru the engine

ok so i thought just too be safe i would strip the motor and have a look and i cant say it goes for all engines but on the one in my atomik it would appear that the oil cooler runs straight off the oil pump and then straight into the crankshaft so if i block it off "BANG".so i found where the oil runs between the two casings and drilled a hole giving it a bypass between the the outlets and then just blanked off the outlets.took it out for a hard run and crankcase temperatues appears to be no different to feel.does not run very hot at all.
i dont understand why these bikes need too run an oil cooler yet my motorcross bikes and my postie bike which i sit on all day stopping an starting every 10 feet does not

what? well i just got the holes blocked up the oil still goes around the engine but the oil doesent get cooled as much as it does with a cooler on

ok so i thought just too be safe i would strip the motor and have a look and i cant say it goes for all engines but on the one in my atomik it would appear that the oil cooler runs straight off the oil pump and then straight into the crankshaft so if i block it off "BANG".so i found where the oil runs between the two casings and drilled a hole giving it a bypass between the the outlets and then just blanked off the outlets.took it out for a hard run and crankcase temperatues appears to be no different to feel.does not run very hot at all.
i dont understand why these bikes need too run an oil cooler yet my motorcross bikes and my postie bike which i sit on all day stopping an starting every 10 feet does not

Because: Bling bling!

Also, I've heard numerous reports of glowing headers on these bikes and I'm fairly certain they run a little harder than your (presumably stock) postie ;)

The motorcross bikes (I presume you are referring to air cooled bikes, if they are water cooled using them as an example is moot) benefit from an upright head which allows better cooling characteristics. They will also, on average, be traveling faster and gain increased airflow :)

Last edited:
yep good call krazed i can hear where your coming from especially with the upright engine position

Latest posts

Back