Oil Cooling

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is an overkill. Wrapping the lines like that MAY DECREASE the efficiency of the oil cooler (the lines themselves also disperse heat). I would probably have just wrapped the section of the exaust near the lines (and your leg) and left the oil cooler lines alone. Does anybody else have an opinion on this?

Just a little comment on an older post,
Wrap the pipe, Yes...
Wrap the lines, NO!

Why would you want to keep the heat in the lines by putting a "blanket" on them. :confused:

Last edited:
Just a little comment on an older post,
Wrap the pipe, Yes...
Wrap the lines, NO!

Why would you want to keep the heat in the lines by putting a "blanket" on them. :confused:

Yes ok, I now know it might not have been good idea to wrap the oil lines as well as the exhaust....Oh well live and learn.

Anyway to make up for all the extra heat from de blankets on de oil lines. I modified my number plate to help vent a bit more air over the cooler. I do plan on putting some mesh under the number plate, in case I need to attach numbers down the track. I will put a few pics up, in case anybody else is interested in having a look.

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing what a heat gun can do, that looks like a good idea. Some of that alloy mesh (black) would look ok.

Thanks Cass38a, don't forget about the zip ties too. They are pretty much the only thing holding it in place. I am not sure where I will get the mesh from yet, but I don't have to worry about it for a while anyway. As long as it is helps redirect a bit more air around the cooler I will be happy.

Cheers

Supa cheap sell the mesh (but you only need a tiny bit). I would see if there is any panelbeates that fit aftermarket body kits close by as they might have a off cut (we always have a few off cuts lying around after we fit a body kit).

Thanks for the inside tip

Yeah I have only seen seen the big sheets at super cheap before and I was kind of wondering where I could get some smaller bits from.

Thanks for the tip ;) , that is probably the last place I would of thought to look for mesh... There are a few panel shops around the local area, I am not sure if they fit kits, but I will give them a call and see what they have lying around

Cheers m8t :D

If you phone up they will probably just fob you off and say thay dont have any or the office chick will stuff around trying to get one of the beaters to find some then ask the boss how much to charge.

Better off to just drop in as you drive past IMO as you are more likely to get a beater who will just grab a peice and give it to you.

If you phone up they will probably just fob you off and say thay dont have any or the office chick will stuff around trying to get one of the beaters to find some then ask the boss how much to charge.

Better off to just drop in as you drive past IMO as you are more likely to get a beater who will just grab a peice and give it to you.

Cheers cassa, sounds like that I coming from experience LOL. I have heard they can be a shady bunch, those panel beaters.... :rolleyes:

I will try to drop in to a few shops in the next couple of days and see what I can find. Will let ya know how I go.

I had a look thru our off cuts today to see if I could get some for you but no luck (we only had a couple of long thin ones, useless for anything, so I chucked them in the recycling).

Thank for looking anyway, appreciate it!

I didn't get a chance today to drop in to any panel shops, but will still try to soon. I was planning on doing the same or similar thing, for the motard bike I am building up (but probably with twin radiator type coolers). So even If I have to get a big sheet I will probably find a use for most of it.

luke#92 yeah go for it, it really isn't hard to do and IMO anything to help these motors run a bit cooler can only be a good thing.

Before you go and start cutting up your number plate, I would recommend that you make up a template, buy tracing the shape of the number plate onto a thin bit of cardboard ie. an old cereal box or something similar.

That way you can cut the template how you want to sit it it place and see if it will work. If it is not good, just chuck it out and make up another one until you have something that you are happy with. Then trace the modified template onto your number plate and cut it out.

If you are keen, I think I might have my old templates around somewhere. I should be able to scan it and put it up here, so you just have to print it out, trace it on your plate and them cut it out.

Cheers Matt

Latest posts

Back