oil leak? Yx140

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moto99

Reaction score
ive had a problem with my yx140 as it it spits out oil out of the muffler outlet and the motor is smokey as hell and oil goes everywhere but doesnt effect the riding im just sick of buying oil for it every ride, any help would be good thanks!

is your case breather pipe blocked?
has it lost much power and compression?
how much oil does it go thru?

if the breather isnt blocked then the bore is glazed and the rings are worn..

breather pipe isent blocked,
it has heaps of compression
and it goes threw a fair bit of oil the rings are brand new, and theres no marks on the bore hope that helps

ok so how much oil are you putting in the engine..
and who put the rings in? possible there in upside down or in the wrong grooves..
but it does sound weird...

other thing to sus out i guess is that the head gasket is sealing properly around the oil pressure and oil return holes on the barrel

thanks for your help bud, will check the gaskets today

Hi I think I have the same problem it seems as if Im burning oil idk where the leak is coming from but could be possible the same place like you said your muffler outlet or my breather but somehow gets all over the chain and rear tire, left side and rim. Also idk if you mean your smoking from your engine but I am smoking out the exhaust pretty bad rides fine and compression is good I really feel its the same problem as you described please let me know if you have figured out your problem or if anyone may have a idea thanks so much

Last edited:
Hi I think I have the same problem it seems as if Im burning oil idk where the leak is coming from but could be possible the same place like you said your muffler outlet or my breather but somehow gets all over the chain and rear tire, left side and rim. Also idk if you mean your smoking from your engine but I am smoking out the exhaust pretty bad rides fine and compression is good I really feel its the same problem as you described please let me know if you have figured out your problem or if anyone may have a idea thanks so much
its a old thread but it sounds like you have a leaking counter-shaft and a blown valve seals.
check crankcase breather hose is free
clean bike and look for where the leak is actually coming from then i can tell you what to do to fix it.

Thank you for responding and I will check those tommrrow but yea it has good compression starts up fine but at high rpms riding oil gets on back left side of wheel swing arm ,chain, and burns oil fast id believe or if im leaking but haven't diagnosed yet will tommrrow. And also it smokes out the exhaust not at idle as much but more when riding and changes when half or 3/4 throttle in third or 4th is where I can see trails behind me.
Thanks again so much for responding to a old thread

If your pushing oil into the combustion chamber under load or full throttle it means your rings are shagged and need replacing (at least) i would recommend replacing the piston as well while your in there..
it was probably caused by improper oiling of your airfilter.
if its smokey when off the throttle and decelerating then its oil being sucked in through the valve stem seals (common with alot of wear.. or overheated motor)

Recently bought the bike it is the yx140 but yea he is honest and piston is new but anyway to tell forsure if it is while im there? And so what should I be doing tommrrow if you don't mind me asking for a list and I will get back on tommrrow and let you know what I found?
Thanks, zwebx

1. check crankcase breather hose is free
2.clean bike and look for where the leak is actually coming from then i can tell you what to do to fix it.
3.Pull head off (de-tension the cam chain, take intake manifold off take exhaust off) then pull head off and barrel
4.inspect the rings at the top of the bore, out of the bike and off the piston check that the top edge is sharp and is in a decent thou eg .005 clearance (combustion top two rings)
look at piston for wear, post a pic i can give a rough estimate. if all is in check after looking at the bore then its time to replace the valve stem seals thats another post in itself almost

Thanks so much ill get back to you my brother is the master mechanic has never worked on a piranha motor but use to have a crf 50 did stuff to all the time and is a mechanic at a big cooperation for vehicles and im sure can figure it out I will show him the post you sent so it was a big help thanks get back to you

It will be pretty much the same as the piranha its all simple if you understand mechanics

Latest posts

Back