Oiled the Air Filter

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwikaz

Reaction score
hi there guys , i recently bought myself a mikuni vm 26mm carb for my 140cc lifan and all seemed well as i fitted it straight from the box and it ran beautifull, but then i used some cooking oil to give the air filter a light coat of oil and then the bike just ran like poo poo??? it back fired and then stalled and i then kicked her over severall thousand times i did notice fuel coming out of the overflow hose but it didnt start again so im wondering if its possible it could be dirt but i doubt it as i hardly riden it but i did ride it with out oil before my problem after adding the oil so? or could it be not enough air flow with the oil or maybe the oil enterd the carbie??? i dont know i tryed to search this forum but the damn search button dosnt work for me for some reason?? thanks guys :)

sounds like oil is not letting the air through, i usually dont oil mine in winter, cant justify it, but i might start again soon, tracks are getting dusty, anyway i use air filter oil, like fuchs or castrol, they are all the same, try something like that, and to get the cooking oil out clean it in metho and shell be as good as new

cooking oil is just guna block your filter, as for not oiling the filter in winter, you must live in a fairly lush area, everywhere i go riding any time of year i manage to find dust

I have used cooking oil in my pitty and car uni filter for ages and it works excellet (there is never any sign of dirt or dust on the inside of the filter no matter how much crap is on the outside). Its easy to clean the filter with dishwashing detergent (better than turps or solvents) and is cheap and easy to get. The only problem I have had is a mouse once ate a filter I left sitting on the shelf.

I take it that you have squeezed out the excess oil and just left it with a coating.

By all means try cleaning the filter and see if it fixes the problem. But if putting cooking oil on your filter stuffs your bike I recon ANY oil will cause the same problem and it is more likley that the problem lies in the tuning. You should always oil your filter as even riding on sealed roads your bike will still suck in heaps of dust.

Last edited:
thanks

thanks for all the replies guys, hey cassa my bike was running awsome before i put the oil on the filter?? is it possible it flodded for some reason or do these simptoms sound like a dirty carbie?? :confused:

Why not use the proper foam filter oil? its made for the job.

QUOTE [i did notice fuel coming out of the overflow hose but it didnt start again so im wondering if its possible it could be dirt] QUOTE

I think you'll find that the fuel inlet valve is probably being held open by crap out of the tank or the float level is set too high .... things can and do alter on new carbs until they settle in a bit ........ I've found that most problems are caused by using old fuel cans and drums ..... buy yourself a new plastic fuel drum , make sure it's clean of any plastic particles etc , regularly wash it out to keep it clean and fit a fuel filter in your fuel line . New pit bike tanks can have plastic shavings and crap inside them from the factory and older steel tanks (even Hondas) can have rust or paint flakes inside them even if they look spotlessly clean inside .

I don't know why you simply didn't remove the air filter to see if it would start and run better .......

The first thing I would do is clean or remove the filter and check if it does make a difference. I doubt it will, but if it does then I suspect that your carby is probably a bit rich and the change to air flow caused by the oil has been "the straw that broke the camels back" so to speak.

I recon that it will be a isolated problem and not related to the vegetable oil at all. As Cactus said you probably have a blocked carby. I once made a small adjustment to my carby, kicked my bike over and it ran like shit and I couldnt work it out. It turned out that I also ran out of fuel at the same time so sometimes there can be something stupid go wrong.

carbie clean

ok cactus my man and cassa do you guys reccomend i clean my carbie , air filter ?? only thing is do i just take off the carbie bowl and clean that or is it more complicated than that ?? :D

Problem Solved Damn Im Good!!!!

Ok my bikes alive and kicking again thank god i was seriously going to off myself lol, hey people DONT EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! USE FU$%!%$ COOKING OIL ON YOUR AIR FILTER IT FOULS UP YOUR JETS IF YOU PUT TOO MUCH AND BELEIVE ME THATS NOT HARD TO DO, COOKING OIL IS FOR COOKING CHIPS THATS IT PERIOD!!!!! i know there will people to disagree but do yourself a favour and dont do it buy some proper air filter oil period THATS THE MAIL PEACE OUT ;)

Ok my bikes alive and kicking again thank god i was seriously going to off myself lol, hey people DONT EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! USE FU$%!%$ COOKING OIL ON YOUR AIR FILTER IT FOULS UP YOUR JETS IF YOU PUT TOO MUCH AND BELEIVE ME THATS NOT HARD TO DO, COOKING OIL IS FOR COOKING CHIPS THATS IT PERIOD!!!!! i know there will people to disagree but do yourself a favour and dont do it buy some proper air filter oil period THATS THE MAIL PEACE OUT ;)

I think the operative words there are"IF YOU PUT TOO MUCH ON".
Even proper filter oil will do that if you apply too much.Squeeze out as much oil from the filter as you possibly can(as long as the filter is properly oiled you can never squeeze out too much).
From what i have heard if you use it properly CANOLA oil is great,never tried it personally but have been considering it.But make sure it is CANOLA oil not just cooking oil or normal vegetable oil.

As I said in my first post you need to squeeze out the excess oil. I wouldnt recomend home brand vegatable oil to casey stoner but for a pit bike or dirt bike it is good stuff. The main benfit of vegatable oil comes when you need to clean it (I put a clean filter on every time I ride) and in my car I do it every 5000k. A laundry tub full of soapy water is much more plesant than a container of Turps and as I am a tight barstard I hate buying turps only to use it to clean air filters. Also just being able to pull the plug on the sink is better than disposing of dirty turps.

The choice of air filter oil is much the same as engine oil, heaps of guys will swear by Motul or Sikoline or other high end brand (I use Sikoline) but other guys recomend the cheapest supermarket oil and run their bikes on it for years (hillz uses black and gold) and never have any problems.

Last edited:
OK ...... This is the other half of my post that I'd decided to hold back on and save .... to let someone else have a go ........

Cactus Jack QUOTE [ IF it IS a restricted filter then either he has a crap filter that has too fine a foam or he has used some old thick vege oil (ie olive oil) and put way too much in .

I've used vege oil to oil filters for yonks (35 years) without the slightest problem - even on highly modified engines which are sensitive to fuel/air ratio changes . The reason why I use vege oil is that filter cleaning can be done using water and detergent without making a mess and I don't get toxic petro chemicals on my hands , breathe their vapours OR leave anything hazardous lying around for the kids to get hold of or knock over.

Healthy Habitat

You have to use common sense when oiling a filter - use a fresh , new thin oil not something that resembles treacle , molasses or VHT traction compound ....... LOL ...... Marylands brand vege oil from Aldi stores runs like water . Use just enough oil to allow it to be squeezed right thru evenly . The foam should puff back up quickly almost like a dry filter if you've done it right , then test it to make sure you can blow thru it easily . If you can't resist over oiling , wrap a clean dry rag around the filter foam and squeeze it hard a few times to pull out any excess oil after oiling it . The idea is to coat the individual foam fibres so that dirt sticks to them and is trapped ....... NOT bridge the pores together and suffocate the engine OR even slightly restrict the airflow ....... ] QUOTE

Incidentally , speedway bikes use Castor oil in the fuel without any carb blocking problems . Aside from that ....... It's a FACT of life that ALL oil is vegetable in origin ........ including diesel oil ......

You see , years ago trees and plants fell into swamps , which got covered over and compressed , picking up minerals from the dirt , and bacterially oxidised . Millions of years later , that rotting vegetation has turned into crude oil ...... the same substance that engine oil , petroleum , plastics and countless other products have been refined from ...... even solvents and alcohol originate from plants ....... coal is basically dried out and hardened crude oil ...... the crusty scum off the top ........

Science lesson over ........ LOL ........

Last edited:
Hey guys i want to change my air fillter oil on my crf50 (first time) what brand of oil should i use and the foam looks black would water and detergent clean it good

Thanks Anth

OK ...... This is the other half of my post that I'd decided to hold back on and save .... to let someone else have a go ........

Cactus Jack QUOTE [ IF it IS a restricted filter then either he has a crap filter that has too fine a foam or he has used some old thick vege oil (ie olive oil) and put way too much in .

I've used vege oil to oil filters for yonks (35 years) without the slightest problem - even on highly modified engines which are sensitive to fuel/air ratio changes . The reason why I use vege oil is that filter cleaning can be done using water and detergent without making a mess and I don't get toxic petro chemicals on my hands , breathe their vapours OR leave anything hazardous lying around for the kids to get hold of or knock over.

You have to use common sense when oiling a filter - use a fresh , new thin oil not something that resembles treacle , molasses or VHT traction compound ....... LOL ...... Marylands brand vege oil from Aldi stores runs like water . Use just enough oil to allow it to be squeezed right thru evenly . The foam should puff back up quickly almost like a dry filter if you've done it right , then test it to make sure you can blow thru it easily . If you can't resist over oiling , wrap a clean dry rag around the filter foam and squeeze it hard a few times to pull out any excess oil after oiling it . The idea is to coat the individual foam fibres so that dirt sticks to them and is trapped ....... NOT bridge the pores together and suffocate the engine OR even slightly restrict the airflow ....... ]

Incidentally , speedway bikes use Castor oil in the fuel without any carb blocking problems . Aside from that ....... It's a FACT of life that ALL oil is vegetable in origin ........ including diesel oil ......

You see , years ago trees and plants fell into swamps , which got covered over and compressed , picking up minerals from the dirt , and bacterially oxidised . Millions of years later , that rotting vegetation has turned into crude oil ...... the same substance that engine oil , petroleum , plastics and countless other products have been refined from ...... even solvents and alcohol originate from plants ....... coal is basically dried out and hardened crude oil ...... the crusty scum off the top ........

Science lesson over ........ LOL ........

Wow thats one of the most informative posts I have read on this site in months. Hahahah that was a good read. Were is the reputation button on this forum?

disegree

sorry cactus i disagree mate, vegi oil does not emulisify with petroleum, so if the good olvegi oil gets in the the carbie she stops as it blocks your pilot jet reall easy... but the proper stuff melts way..

Latest posts

Back