Pitpro 125 Won't Pop Up

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathRider

Reaction score
Hello, my 2008 pitpro 125cc struggles to pop up and wheelie. I have ridden my other friends 125's same motor ( Lifan 125) Crusty demon 125 and it pops up easy. My bike and his bike is the same weight. What can it be? Needs better tyres, better carby, sprocket setup? Both bikes have the same power too.

It's probably the the way the carby's tuned or the carby itself
Does it have a china Mikuni copy carb on it ?

Carbu-Mikuni-22.jpg

My guess is gearing differences, however the longer the swingarm the harder it will be to pop up (more stable).

Pop the clutch and lean back. If I can get a 280kg 650cc to do it just give it a go. Also check your sprocket teeth count. The blokes on this forum will have many answers for you

125's have a low first gear so you should be able to pop the front wheel pretty easy

You should be able to notice any gearing difference's by having a straight line race with your mate, both holding your bike's at wot in top gear.
Whoever's bike is fastest has the tallest gear's, but the faster bike will also be slower taking off.

You can lower your final drive gearing pretty easily, take the stator cover off the left side of the engine. There will be 2x 10mm headed bolt's holding the sprocket retainer onto the output shaft of the gearbox.
Take the 2x bolt's out and turn the retainer so it come's off the shaft, sprocket can come off now.
If you replace the front sprocket with a smaller one then this will lower your gearing.
Most 125's come with a 14 tooth or 15 tooth front sprocket, replacing the sprocket with one that's 1 tooth smaller will lower the gearing, fitting one that's 2 teeth smaller will be quite noticable.
By fitting a smaller front sprocket you should be able to adjust your chain tension to take up the slack without having to buy a shorter chain.
A front sprocket can usually be picked up off ebay for around $10 inc delivery.
Make sure you check which chain your bike sue's, and the diameter of the output shaft as well.
There are 2x common chain's used on the 125 engine's, a 420 pitch, and a 428 pitch.
The 428 chain is a couple of mm's wider than the 420, and the output shaft size can be either 17mm or 20mm depending on the engine.
You can also lower your gearing by fitting a bigger rear sprocket, it's a slightly dearer option though.
you need to get one with 3 or 4 teeth more than your original sprocket though to equal dropping 1 tooth off the front sprocket, or 6-8 teeth more to equal dropping 2 teeth off the front sprocket.
This usually require's a longer chain too

I'm presuming you've done stuff like replace the cheap china spark plug with a decent NGK C7HSA

Do both bike's run the same style carby, both run oiled foam air filter's ?
Does your bike need to be warmed up for a little while before you can ride away?
If you start to blip the throttle soon after it's started does it hesitate, and want to die ?
If so then the pilot jet in the carby is too small, or maybe the pilot circuit is dirty or gummed up
I've found with the Lifan 125's the standard Pilot jet in the carby is a touch too small.
They usually come with a 15 pilot jet, replacing it with a 20 and adjusting the mixture screw to suit will change the way the bike start's and ride's, it will start a lot easier, and feel a lot better to ride.

That's another thing, if you bike hasn't been tuned by adjusting the carburetor then that could be where you're lacking power.
Also it could be your bike need's to have the valve/rocker clearance's checked and adjusted, that can make a big difference if your's are tight.

Adjust the clearance's to .003" on the inlet and .004" on the exhaust, make sure the engine is at tdc on the compression stroke before attempting to adjust the valve's
Here's a good video that help's explain the procedure.

[video=youtube;QJciyJRJh8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJciyJRJh8Q[/video]

I have the same carb and i never tried wheelies in my life but i tried since i picked up this bike you just gotta be in first or 2nd moving alil pull in the clutch give it alil gas and pop the clutch if you feel you come up too much hit the rear brake, i dont have that privilege my back brakes are broke so i just pull the clutch in if i feel im out of balance point. Dont pull on the handle bars let the bike do the work or you might wind up leaning too far left or right n throw off ur balance it take time to get used too its all about feels i may be wrong but this is working for me im getting better. Maybe you might be going too fast for the gear your in and you cant hit that peak power to get it up.

Latest posts

Back