Porting A Exhaust

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaso289

Reaction score
Hi i am just wondering if porting the actual exhaust header will make any power improvements. I don't trust myself to take the head off and port the exhaust port itself, and my exhaust header looks quiet restrictive because their is a big lump of welding going around it.
Thanks

Heres some pics of my header

Attachments

• 26072011265.jpg
    26072011265.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 26072011267.jpg
    26072011267.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 26072011268.jpg
    26072011268.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 29
My new Pitster pro exhaust is the same. I plan on cleaning it up as it can only make the exhaust flow better. I did the same with the exhaust on a 110cc quad I restored for my kids and now it is a little rocket with the exhaust opened up.

Alright thanks guys!
Plan on doing it by this week. Just need to buy myself a dremel :)

sorry bring up a sort of old post, but i htought its better than making a new topic.
ive got the same sort of thing in my exhaust, how do you port it?

First up make sure you get and use some decent quality goggles or a flip down face shield
steel or alloy filings in the eye hurt, i can vouch for that,
im a panel beater fabricator and have had my eyes picked and scraped and even grinded by lots of different doctors and medical centres and hospitals in the last 25 years.
i use the proper safety gear and only had this happen again a month ago, so be careful!!

most big tool tool stores sell them, im not sure if bunnings do

also work out what you want to use it on, steel or aluminium, they have a few different types, steel, aluminium, wood etc etc. and cost from $10 ea up to $130+
if you use a steel one on alloy it will clog up really quick.

try and keep the drill fast enough to cut but not too fast that it grabs
and watch out you dont spin the burr too fast and have it grab in a pipe or head port etc
it can cause your die grinder or drill to whip around and fly out of your hands if you are not careful
dont port too far and go through the wall of what you are porting
and be prepared to clean up the mess afterwards, shavings filings and it will go every where too, a couple of meters each way. it gets into your shirt, hair, pants, shoes etc, and sticks to the soles of your shoes too, then when you walk inside on the carpet your mother, grandma, wife of whatever will freak at you.
anyway have fun,

this guy sells a couple of style, cheap too
Tungsten Carbide Burr Oval (1/4"Dia) E0610 FP | eBay

heres a few other ones too
carbide burrs | eBay

cheers, craig

Last edited:
Got my dremmel fr Bunnings, got a ryobi with all attachments for $100.00 but I think you can can the little Ozito for $40, i would reccomend the Ozito for 2 reasons, 1) 3yr replacement warranty (as crap as this brand is, when it stuffs up you just bring it back with your reciept for a new one) 2) their price. On a side note I have used my Dremmel twice and have already buggered it... So its going back to bunnings :( Oh yea, do as My76 says, make sure you wear eye protection, i got an eye full of fillings whilst port matching my wifes 125...

Last edited:
Just a quick note for those with a Nitrous 160, i went to clean out the exhaust on the weekend however (maybe i was just lucky...) after pulling it apart I found that it really didn't have anything that needed grinding, there was one small lump on on side but that was it, so If you happen to have a nitrous 160 and are thinking of doing it, you'll probably find that it's not worth it (mind you i still cleaned it out as there is a slight lip on the end) below are pis of what it looked like.

Photo0261.jpg

Photo0262.jpg

what is the purpose for the weld inside the exhaust? i will have to get around to doing this on my bike i checked the pipes the other day and it has a massive weld inside

It is just a weld scar left there from when they attach the brace on the end of the pipe for the washer to hold onto to.

Latest posts

Back