Possible rectifier issue??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorro

Reaction score
Hi all.

The kids both have 110cc quads and these are the first bikes I've had that are electric start so my knowledge there is pretty low.

One of them I bought 2nd hand for a steal and (I'm guessing karma here for my heavy haggling) has a charging issue. The battery it came with died and as a thought was old age, no worries. With this though when it ran the rectifier would get dangerously hot, to a point where I moved it so no one would burn themselves. This I was under the belief would happen from the battery being cactus. Now with new battery it still gets very hot and with multimeter am getting no charge and the new battery depletes quickly.

So I'm stumped, can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers, Ash

Also to add I've troubleshooted other areas as it runs fine until it gets to a point of too hot and then the bike runs pretty average.

Are the wires on the quad that's charging fine the same as the one not charging(i.e are the Colours in the same terminals) the rectifiers should not get hot, swap the rectifier over to see if the quad charges with it.

The circuits have similarities but being different brands are routed differently. The one that is playing up has had the frame painted and all wires are black unless I scrape them near connectors.

For the couple of $$s a new one is I'd buy one before chopping the other one up, I know it's easy but just want to leave the other as its working no issues. My concern though is buying a new Rectifier and cooking it as the issue is something else.

I've read a bit tonight and rectifiers do get hot, however generally due to the process of what they do its the constant heat that kills them, catch 22 really. And heat tells me that its getting charge from the stator.

Ill try a new one see how it goes, worst case ill make a new loom with extra earthing an larger gauge cable

is it a seperate 2 terminal rectifier, or a 4 wire regulator/rectifier?

what voltage do you get out of the 2x charging wires that go to the battery?

4 plug. I haven't tested again as I lent my multimeter to a friend. I'm going to grab another tomorrow, for $10 I'm not bothered.

Also doing more reading into them it seems they are a common thing to fail, especially if you been running a dud battery. It was jump started when I bought it to hear it running,

This is a really nice topic, and point of concern as well, so i would suggest you to better take help of a good technician as he will provide you proper solution and will save your energy and time as well.

Latest posts

Back