Possible to back in a minimotard?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterSpoon

Reaction score
OK this is a question I had bouncing around my head. Can you back in a mini motard? I ride a full size motard and half the fun of riding it is sliding it into the corners. From what I can tell it should be possible to back in a mini motard but I am yet to see a video of anyone doing so.

Now I understand that there are two different riding styles (knee out road race style or foot out motocross style) and it seems that knee out is the more popular option, however I feel much more comfortable foot out style so I will most probably ride that style. Should I be able to back it in tho?

Anyone tried before? Maybe I will have to answer the question myself on Saturday......

OOO Do it spoon! i reckon foot down you should be able to slide the rear end out a bit.. as long as the bike has enough ooomph to help it get out in the first place... Dont forget to get a video of it! ;)

hahaha now thats the kind of enthusiasm I like to hear.
As far as I know there are a couple of guys bringing camera's so I will do some laps and then work out where I will try back it in and get them to go video there.
I can back in a full size motard reasonably well so its just the lower power and smaller bike that will alter the control a bit.

I'll be in my full leathers so crashing is not really a concern. Hopefully I won't be sore anymore on Saturday.... had a big highside at QR gocart track yesterday and am feeling a bit stiff.

ouch nasty.. would be my biggest fear on the motards is highsiding..

oh i dont want ya to hurtyaself man, just want you to get the good footage so we can claim your from here:p :D lol

Highside at QR was on the Husky SMR570 and they were running a modified track setup and running reverse, gave it to much throttle to soon coming back out to the main straight, rear started to spin up, turned into it to try save it and kept going with the back stepped right out smoking the rear for another couple of meters but just couldn't pull it back in and the rear eventually bit and over I went, was third gear and a fair bit of stick so guessing around the 60k or above and a solid bitumen landing.....

Bike and I were fairly untouched and straightened bark busters and kept riding.

ABSOLUTELY you can back in minimotards. I find it very easy on dirt but was having a bit of difficulty on my first try on the tarmac last Saturday on someone else's bike. Very different gear ratios to mine and just couldn't back it in without sacrificing too much speed or not being in the right gear to power out of the corners. He was also running very different tyres which had a completely different feel/feedback to mine. Total lack of front brakes, and I'm serious when I say they did NOTHING. So couldn't get as much weight off the rear tyre. Also binning a bike when it's not yours is an issue, full leathers or not :p As for riding style I love to drag knee but I find that foot out/body more upright makes it easier to throw the bike into a corner. I'm also yet to see any videos of minimotards sliding into corners but then again there really aren't many decent minimotard videos.

Last edited:
thats it but his body position just looks sooo wrong to me but may just be because its a small bike

well well well
I put my motard wheels back on this arvo, getting ready for Saturday and thought to myself I better ride it a little just to make sure it still runs good (don't want problems on Saturday). Went great so I thought to myself hmmm my driveway is probably long enough to almost wind out second and I could back it in a little and flow into the back yard.

So off I went, launch in first, snap second, hold pinned, into carport, time to brake / slide, off throttle, back to first, heavy front brakes, slip the clutch, light rear brake, steer and weight back into it.......

muhahahaha, it slides !!!!
decent amount of tyre screeching and I managed to back it in....
Soooo can't wait till Saturday now !!!
still want better front brakes tho, will have to get me a 220mm disc and make up the bracket to mount this 4 piston caliper.

yeah 125 could do it fairly easily I would say, if it doesn't have enough engine braking just use some rear brake and it will slide.

backyard practice track is pretty damn ordinary, more just a little space that I can check if bike is ok. Now graham I envy, he has everywhere as his track....

Siiick Boys I love backin it in on the dirt, we got trails down here in the mountains where that's all ya do for 20kms...but yeah haven't seen it on the tar...keen to see the pics ....Squeebs these photos will be siiick for our little project ...think we'll call it TAR WARS :D

Does sound good indeed. Although Spoon was saying that we don't really go fast enough at Archerfield that sliding would be an advantage. Also he was yearning for more front brake. But we can do some "show sliding" for the photos :)

You can back one in. Coming in hotter than a big bike is the key. The little bikes corner better so you have to push them in further and harder to get same effect. This is as close a piccy as I got.

IMG_5400.jpg

I can't remember where I found this photo, but all credit to where ever it comes from....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back