Posting: reasonable standards.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lolz whatz it lik to b drunk?

seriously drink about 4 litres of coke one night stay up till first light sleep for 1 hour get up and eat around 25 chilli peppers stay awake all day and you will know how you feel after you get drunk..............then you might not want to drink lol

READ the post people! The whole idea is NOT to use stupid lazy ass text abbreviations! :damnmate:

ha ha awsome we are opening this little chestnut again ....

I told ya it's a loosing battle Skylar ...this is just how the kiddies speak now .... to teach them proper grammer now is a bit like shuttin the gate after the horse has bolted ...

The sad truth is alot just can't spell be right back ..or by for now ...even if they wanted to they just can't spell .... so correct em if that's ya mission but try and be gentle because they don't do it to annoy you, It's simply beyond them ... and that doesn't make them stupid it just makes them a product of social conditioning ....just like you and me .

It's just ours was different.

I don't entirely buy that Dready. Too much of an excuse for laziness. I don't believe it is a matter of being stupid, but it is laziness. It's amazing when you say to someone, "Can you fix up your post?" they DO have the ability to do it.
I know it's a bug bear of mine, but there are also other issues.

The look and representation of the site... I log on places on the net and if the posts are completely unreadable it says two things to me. 1. The intelligence/care factor of the posters is perhaps not that great and 2. The site isn't run particularly well because no-one is monitoring the posting standards.

The other issue is search results. If words are spelt incorrectly, they will not show up in searches. That affects users of this site that are looking for info... might also explain a lot of threads being repeated over and over and over which I know shits EVERYONE to tears.
The other side of that is traffic onto the site... if people are searching for things through a search engine, MR won't show up in the results if the searched word is spelt incorrectly here.

My 12 year old can post coherently most of the time. It's not too much to ask for readable posts.

Yeah fair enough but I reckon social conditioning has alot to do with it ... it's just not cool to type "I'll be right back" when everyone knows what brb means ...

if you type it all out ?

well to some extent you'll be the odd one out .....and kids don't like that they wanna be part of the scene ...the gangster click.

So yeah while I agree with you I'm glad it bugs you not me ... because I see it everywhere I go.

I understand your point and it is an interesting and worthwhile discussion, but there is one main flaw in the argument. Abbreviations only have any meaning if it is understood what the abbreviation is for. That might be good and well for this generation as they know the words that the letters represent.
But what about the next generation? The letters themselves will be useless without an understanding of the text it represents.

I understand that language is a fluid thing and is constantly evolving, but it cannot evolve without a basis of knowledge of what it is evolving from if that makes sense. It will only ever go so far and then there will enter a level of illiteracy and the abbreviations themselves will no longer make sense, so the pendulum will swing back towards traditional language. Those that have lost that will be terribly disadvantaged in their everyday life.

The other issue is this, there will only ever be a certain arena where the abbreviations are tolerated. There is such a thing as a real world beyond high school, and it just doesn't cut it, especially when it comes to employment. I don't think we, as the adults, are doing these kids any favours by saying that it's ok. So yeah, they may think I'm the odd one out and a big nerd, but I'll cop that it if it means some of them express themselves better. They already think I am a boring old lady. :p

Another thing ... on here, not everyone is a kid, and if the posts are full of all that crap all the time, the site is alienating a portion of it's market.

Like I said in my original post, no one is expecting perfection, but I think most of us expect things to be legible, I cannot possibly be the only one. :(

i think there in such a habbit of using it because they pretty much just txt these days so when there doing it on there phones all day and jump on here its just a natural habbit to them

i don't text i never have credit. haha

but i do agree with pbk on this he is right, it's not that us younger generation are "stupid" we just txt all day and night and the abbreviations just become natural to us. so it becomes a habit, i find even when writing a letter i have to stop a think not to write 4 instead of for ect ect.

also in sayin that ny nan who is 72 is texting all the abbreviations and stuff

I understand your point and it is an interesting and worthwhile discussion, but there is one main flaw in the argument. Abbreviations only have any meaning if it is understood what the abbreviation is for. That might be good and well for this generation as they know the words that the letters represent.
But what about the next generation? The letters themselves will be useless without an understanding of the text it represents.

I understand that language is a fluid thing and is constantly evolving, but it cannot evolve without a basis of knowledge of what it is evolving from if that makes sense. It will only ever go so far and then there will enter a level of illiteracy and the abbreviations themselves will no longer make sense, so the pendulum will swing back towards traditional language. Those that have lost that will be terribly disadvantaged in their everyday life.

The other issue is this, there will only ever be a certain arena where the abbreviations are tolerated. There is such a thing as a real world beyond high school, and it just doesn't cut it, especially when it comes to employment. I don't think we, as the adults, are doing these kids any favours by saying that it's ok. So yeah, they may think I'm the odd one out and a big nerd, but I'll cop that it if it means some of them express themselves better. They already think I am a boring old lady. :p

Another thing ... on here, not everyone is a kid, and if the posts are full of all that crap all the time, the site is alienating a portion of it's market.

Like I said in my original post, no one is expecting perfection, but I think most of us expect things to be legible, I cannot possibly be the only one. :(

Well yeah again I agree ...sort of ... I think you have to take into consideration a couple of things though .

The methods of communication that kids use make the use of abbreviations and acronyms not only necessary but in many cases essential. Most if not all of these start with a finite number of characters .... twitter being the major offender. So I think there is definately an aspect of kids being encouraged by the very nature of these methods of communications to abbreviate.

Which brings me to my second point ... WE started it ... most of these kids were'nt even born in the 80's ...THAT'S when this started. Remember when everyone had too have an acronym for there business/department or job so they could feel all funny in the pants whenever they answered the phone .... So when you wrote

Skylar
( " The other issue is this, there will only ever be a certain arena where the abbreviations are tolerated. There is such a thing as a real world beyond high school, and it just doesn't cut it. ")

I don't think I'd totally agree with that, because I think it's everywhere and it's a culture we started.

Have a look here.... there is an acronym for every combination of letters ... all accepted and used in the mainstream and most made before these kids were born ... if you click for instance in Abbreviations and acronyms dictionary: Find definitions for over 4,219,000 abbreviations, acronyms, and initialisms and search the letters aap for instance
you'll get hundreds possibly thousands of hits ...here's just a few ....

****** AAP American Academy of Pediatrics
****** AAP Association of American Publishers
****** AAP Advance Auto Parts Inc
***** AAP American Academy of Periodontology
***** AAP American Association of Publishers
***** AAP Accredited ACH Professional
**** AAP Army Ammunition Plant
**** AAP American Academy of Psychotherapists
**** AAP Address Allocation Protocol
**** AAP Association of Academic Physiatrists
**** AAP Alternative Approval Process (ITU-T)
**** AAP Always A Pleasure
**** AAP Academic Advancement Program
**** AAP Accident Analysis and Prevention
**** AAP Annual Action Plan
**** AAP Acuerdo de Alcance Parcial (Guatemala)
**** AAP Academy of American Poets
**** AAP Australian Associated Press Pty Limited
**** AAP Accurate As Possible
**** AAP Applications Access Point
*** AAP American Academy of Psychoanalysis
*** AAP Abortion Access Project
*** AAP Association for Academic Psychiatry
*** AAP Apollo Applications Program (NASA)

So yeah whilst I agree with alot of what you are saying I think the roots and causes of this decline in laungauge goes much deeper than lazy kids. JMO.

Dready, you are going into a whole other area which is not what the original post was addressing. I have no problems with acronyms, I use them myself when I text or in chatbox, but my point is that there is a time and a place for it. There is a difference between txt and text. By that I mean texting by phone, and writtten text.

This pretty much demonstrates my original point. Yeah, you may have to stop and think.... but since when was doing that a bad thing?
but i do agree with pbk on this he is right, it's not that us younger generation are "stupid" we just txt all day and night and the abbreviations just become natural to us. so it becomes a habit, i find even when writing a letter i have to stop a think not to write 4 instead of for ect ect.

One of our best contributers to this forum has been Tom. While he may have used the occasional acronym, in general he didn't take shortcuts with his posts, he took the effort to stop and think and post well written, thought out contributions, and everyone benefitted. You yourself Dready, always take the time to write effective responses and everyone benefits.

Also Dready, by listing all those acronyms, you in effect prove my point. There are so many acronyms, without having any context, or knowing the actual words they represent, the acronym in itself becomes meaningless as it has many potential meanings. That is why there will always be a need for full language in full text situations, and the pendulum will swing back when it goes too far.

No-ones expecting Tolstoy, but surely the expectation should be above primary school level. :confused-smiley-013
But I am enjoying the discussion. :applaudit:

Well yeah I totally agree there is txt and text but that's not really my point. I was just trying to say the culture of abbreviation came waaay before these kids and I see this as a result or at least a progression of this culture that I believe started in 80s J.M.O... I'll even concede that the increasing substitution of txt for the text isn't doing some of these kids communication skills much good.... but again, that wasn't really the point I was trying to make.

The point I was trying to make is this ... what you see as just plain " lazy " is something I see as more of a result of the " mediaculture " kids find themselves growing up in these days. I think it's just that kids are on facebook or twitter txting all day and naturally this becomes their natural way of communicating. I think it's this that leads to the decline in grammer rather than attributing this to a general laziness in an entire generation. It's just easier for me to see an entire generation as being affected or " conditioned " to behave or act in a certain way rather than to think all these kids are just lazy.

And that's the thing ... it is an entire generation and yes it's getting worse. The other night at the pub I heard several young girls VERBALIZING o.m.g .... yeah and as if that wasn't bad enough I then heard one say O.M.L.G.G ....

Which ofcourse stands for O MY LADY GAGA .....

I wish I was kidding but I'm not :confused-smiley-013

So yeah, while I think we agree about the problem I doubt we'll agree on the cause ... but that's all good :thumbup:

Last edited:
The other night at the pub I heard several young girls VERBALIZING o.m.g .... yeah and as if that wasn't bad enough I then heard one say O.M.L.G.G ....

Which ofcourse stands for O MY LADY GAGA .....

I wish I was kidding but I'm not :confused-smiley-013

Oh COME OM, now you are just making shit up! :lol: :lol: ;)
If only one of these kids reads this and realises how bloody ridiculous that is and makes sure they never do it, this dialogue has served it's purpose.

So yeah, while I think we agree about the problem I doubt we'll agree on the cause ... but that's all good :thumbup:
Agreed. :handshake:

But I'll continue to fight the fight, I've even got a couple of them from here playing scrabble. :grinning-smiley-003

No but really "idiocracy" lol , awesome movie .... shows the world getting dummer every generation . derro doll bludgers breeding to much , and smart rich folk not having kids . eventually it will turn to shit.

No but really "idiocracy" lol , awesome movie .... shows the world getting dummer every generation . derro doll bludgers breeding to much , and smart rich folk not having kids . eventually it will turn to shit.

Yeah it is an excellent film Woggy .... You'd love it Skylar.

I think this thread has served it's purpose.

Now it's just doing my head in.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back