Posting: reasonable standards.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylar

Reaction score
Hi all,

Some of the posting at the moment is a little out of hand with the slang and the text abbreviations both in the thread titles and in the body of posts. Posts using all CAPS are also becoming more common and are a pain to read.

No-one is expecting that the spelling and grammar in the posts is going to be perfect and typos etc are not going to be edited constantly. Typos and spelling mistakes in thread titles WILL be corrected.

Correct spelling makes it easier for other users when searching topics and it also adds to the overall look and feel of the site. Of course some abbreviations such as "LOL" are here to stay and FFS, etc are preferable to spelling out the words. When they are used in moderation there is no issue. Full stops can also come in handy. Some posts have to be read three or four times to figure out the gist because the sentences all bleed into one.

Things are not going to get out of control on the editing front, but when a post looks like this:

"OMG, im up 4 byin a fuly sikk bike. NE1 got 1 4 sail???"

or like this

i want to get a bike but not sure if i get a klx110 or klx140 im a bit big but not that big dad says to get the smller bike my mate says bigger im not sure help me decide by next week going to sydney so will buy then don't want to have to go back

or this

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET PRO TAPERS FROM IN MELBOURNE EASTERN SUBURBS FOR A REASONABLE PRICE?

it's going to be edited or deleted.

Just a few things to keep in mind.

*Do not post with your CAPS LOCK on.
*Do not use text talk and abbreviations as the basis of your post (the odd one is fine).
*Do not use text abbreviations in thread titles at all.
*Try to be conscious of spelling and grammar. No-one's expecting perfection, but if it's not easily and readily legible, the post will be edited or possibly deleted.
*Take the time to read your post before you hit submit and do the appropriate editing.

Thanks all,
Skylar :)

Last edited:
Thumbs up, I jump between about 4 forums on road bikes, mini bikes and other hobbies and I gotta say this one can be a bitch to get your head around sometimes. I'm 28 so alot of these abbreviations are very new to me, even when i text to people i don't abbreviate. I think it's called "getting old".
ORSM forum lol, keep up the good work.

nice one Skylar, hopefully some of the kiddies will see this :D

but I gotta know did you copy/paste those examples or make them up? it's really pisses me off trying to read the first 2

This post was needed big time! Ive read certain posts over and over again, just to figure out a simple sentence. Also the 2 paragraph sentences are the worst, Full stops are an amazing thing.

Stuck!

Nice write up skylar.

If I can add a couple of points..
#Keeping threads on topic.
#looking at post dates.. 2007 classifieds getting bumped.. send a PM first if your interested..
#searching-this fails because of thread TITLES. keep the TITLE inclusive as to what the thread is about.

PM a mod if you have any questions, we ARE willing to help if we can..

hahah headsmess you must be high on the offenders list :p
not for the reasons Skylar listed though, just often hard to understand what you're trying to say :p

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Good to see I wasn't the only one struggling to read posts sometimes. Thanks for the sticky fools. :)

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

You need a smack thump*140. :p

nice one Skylar, hopefully some of the kiddies will see this :D

but I gotta know did you copy/paste those examples or make them up? it's really pisses me off trying to read the first 2

I just made them up. But I'm pretty sure they exist somewhere on this site. :rolleyes:

Headsmess.... there's no words. *shakes head* ;)

You need a smack thump*140. :p

QUOTE]

ha ha, yeah kinda couldnt resist that one... pinched that quote from a mate on another forum, we often use that answer to people who post threads or comments in threads that make no sense whatsoever... at which point the thread goes completely off-topic.... ha ha
Actually i thought your thread was a very good point indeed... i must be getting old... i dont know how many times i read a question or post or something, spend 5 minutes deciphering all the cool kids net abbreviations, acronyms and txt speak, or figure out that the two page essay, with no punctuation, is someone asking how to turn their choke on...
Whatever happended to english literacy??? comprehension?? sentence structure??
Kids these days fail english? That's unpossible!!!!:rolleyes:

Here is a list of sms text message abbreviations for you to learn (old people only LOL):

always = Alwz
any = NE
are you = RU
are = r
Be right back = BRB
be = B
before = B4
boyfriend = BF
Bye for now = B4N
come = cum <<<Haha
come on = CMON
cutie = QT
dinner = DNR
easy = ez
face to face = f2f
for = 4
get a life = GAL
girlfriend = GF
great = GR8
hate = h8
i see = I C
late = l8
later = l8r
laughing out load = LOL
mate = M8
maybe = mayb
mobile = mob
night = nite
nothing = nufN
please = PLS
regards = rgds
right = rite
see you = CU
sleep = ZZZ
someone = some1
speak = SPK
thanks = tks
to = 2
today = 2day
too = 2
too late = 2l8
wait = w8
what = wot
why = y
you = u
your = ur

Or just use this link: The Largest List of Text Message Shorthand (IM, SMS) and Internet Acronyms Found of the Web - kept current and up-to-date by NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Computer and Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-)

Last edited:
WTF is dis shiz?! I ave not ne idea what chu r on bout! I tlk heaps well n use gramma n stuff!!

He he seriously but I enjoy being drunk and reading posts to trying to figure them out... Very fun game!

WTF is dis shiz?! I ave not ne idea what chu r on bout! I tlk heaps well n use gramma n stuff!!

He he seriously but I enjoy being drunk and reading posts to trying to figure them out... Very fun game!

oh iz u drunk n all?:beerglass:
lolz whatz it lik to b drunk?
lol jokes
nice bump skylar hehehe

Bulldog /Thump....thank you so much for an informative list of message abbreviations. Especially for us older folk. Do you know how long it takes to read some of those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back