Power of 49cc eBay pull start motors?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melias24

Reaction score
Hey guys so a few weeks ago i found a little 49cc pull start dirt bike (like this one: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/352/622/256/1278567744955_hz-myalibaba-web10_21.jpg ) and tried to get it going.

Anyway, we tried to start it with a drill driver because the pull start is missing, but it backfired and wrecked the pull start side of the motor. Anyway, i was just wondering if anyone here owns one of these little motorbikes and whether or not they go any good with someone who weighs 50-60kg on it? Just wondering about the performance of these little bikes before i drop $70 on a new motor, instead of buying hand gaurds and bar ends for my 125.

This is the new motor i am looking at: 2 Stroke High Performance Pull Start 49cc Engine Motor Pocket Bike Scooter ATV | eBay

~Elias

to be brutally honest they suck and youll just be wasting your money. if you try and jump it you will end up with part of the frame stabbing you when it snaps. dont waste your money as they struggle to carry anyone heavier then 30-35kg

to be brutally honest they suck and youll just be wasting your money. if you try and jump it you will end up with part of the frame stabbing you when it snaps. dont waste your money as they struggle to carry anyone heavier then 30-35kg

Oh ok, i don't want to jump, just to braap around on over to my mates place and stuff and to check the mail, i weigh about 54kg.

well it will move you around if your riding flat area but will not like hills. i had the onroad version a few years back and ended up snapping it in half on one of them blue markers in the middle of the road. i was probably about 60kg when i rode it, though its dead flat where i am.

well it will move you around if your riding flat area but will not like hills. i had the onroad version a few years back and ended up snapping it in half on one of them blue markers in the middle of the road. i was probably about 60kg when i rode it, though its dead flat where i am.

So basically a waste of money? Are there any like proper decent brands that i could custom fit into this? I saw a brand called 'Blata' pocket bikes, would a similar motor to that be good power? If one of these motors can't carry me up a hill i won't bother

you could try gearing the motor down to get some hillclimbing out of it. wouldnt waste my money on a fancy motor..
you could get a 2nd hand pitbike for a couple hundred, thats what i would do.

So basically a waste of money? Are there any like proper decent brands that i could custom fit into this? I saw a brand called 'Blata' pocket bikes, would a similar motor to that be good power? If one of these motors can't carry me up a hill i won't bother

Blata make killer 2 stroke pocket bikes, but the price is killer too, thousands not hundreds. There are chinese copies of the watercooled blata's, i have one down the back of my shed, not a bad little 2 banger but I'll take a pitty over it anyday

If you really want a 2 smoker, the china knock off ktm50sx or the 65cc version would be your best bet for a adult. The watercooled 50cc is around 6 to 800, the air cooled 50 a little cheaper. They make a lot more power than the whippersnipper engines in the 300 dollar bikes...

If you really want a 2 smoker, the china knock off ktm50sx or the 65cc version would be your best bet for a adult. The watercooled 50cc is around 6 to 800, the air cooled 50 a little cheaper. They make a lot more power than the whippersnipper engines in the 300 dollar bikes...

How much is a complete knock of kato?

Between 6 to 800 delivered from memory, the frames are only marginally stronger in all honesty, I still wouldnt jump one as a adult but for motarding it would be a heap of fun, I know the water cooled versions have a wicked little kick in band, my youngest son loved his...

How much is a complete knock of kato?

I picked up a used watercooled KTM 50 copy last week for $150, it's had minimal use, the tread might have 1mm worn off the tyre's

Last edited:
To be honest, these chinese 49cc engines are in every pocket/mini bike. 2 stroke is very temperamental, and incredibly hard to maintain.

I had a 49cc pocket bike, and it got me up to faster speeds than I was comfortable with going, but I only got to ride it a few times, every time I rode it, a new problem arised.

Go for a 125cc dirt bike, or a x-18 pocket bike for fun.

The engine that in the KTM copy isn't a little pull start whipper snipper engine,The Franco Moriniwatercooled 2 stroke 50cc are rated at 8hp, so maybe 6 1/2hp at the back wheel

2 stroke is very reliable, i've cleaned up old engine's that have sat for 25 year's and been able to start them and use them for age's etc
It's just the cheap bike's and badly copied component's, bad mechanic's, bad maintenence etc that give it a bad name
I've had a few of the pull start engine's and they are pretty good for what they are anyway.

I picked up a used watercooled KTM 50 copy last week for $150, it's had minimal use, the tread might have 1mm worn off the tyre's

http://s598.photobucket.com/user/xrfairmont67/media/mini bike/20151031_1014051.jpg.html

http://s598.photobucket.com/user/xrfairmont67/media/mini bike/20151031_1014371.jpg.html

Far out that bike looks like a real KTM 50 that's a bit older than 06!! I'd love to get one but just don't know if i could pick one up as cheap s that in Australia.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back