Premium V's Regular Fuel

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitmaster

Reaction score
I bought a new Victa lawn mower recently, and the salesman said DONT run premium in the 4 stroke, just use regular

now are bikes the same? cause i read alot of people using Premium,

anyone know the true facts,

Cheers

Im going to use Bp Ultimate in mine, With My 20 litres of Briggs & stratton SAE 30 oil.. :D

But yea After speaking to Dad the other day, From his Days Owning Honda and Susuki dealerships, He Said I should be running A Straight 30 mineral Oil (Pref. Briggs and Stratton)

Works well B'Kos this is what MotoVert Recommend to run In every 4 stroke 107cc-141cc Pit bike.

Fully synthetic Isnt really the best option for Pit bikes.

My 2 cents, Cheers Blair..... ;)

have alwayz used Premium & alwayz will in both 2 & 4 strokes, low octain fuel can make the engine "ping"

lawn mowers are a slightly different kind of motor

i agree with what hillz said
i allways use a high octain fuel in my 2 an 4 strokes plus when my mechanic built my 2stroke to race spec he said to allways use high octain its a must do

Ahhh.. uhh.. really depends. But to be on the safe side, I always run 98 octane BP Ultimate or Mobile 8000. I also try not to use old fuel, say over a few weeks or a month old. Once it gets that old I drain it and just chuck it in the car. Then I get a fresh lot on the way to the track.

Comes down to compression and ignition advance. If you're running stock everything, you would probably get away with regular 91 octane. Premium is 95 octane and slightly better. 98octane is obviously better again, but you only really need it in a high spec engine.

anyway, for the sake of like 25 -50 cents (10 cent difference between the fuels per litre X 5 litres average day usage), what's the point bothering? Just fill up with 98 and be done with it. Just don't leave it for too long as 98 octane I've heard can break down quicker than regular fuel because of all the additives.

my 2 cents (10centre per litre :)

yeh well ive always used mobil 8000 and she runs lik a dream running high octane just makes the engine run a bit hotter but it doesnt matter lol plus 8000 smells good as lol lik ausjames said its only 10cents dearer so just buy it ..
my 5 cents worth

Cheers fellas, will use premium and see how it goes,

was just a little worried when i got told to never use it in the victa lol

The lawn mower bloke doesnt know what he is talking about. The fact is that running a high octain fuel canno't hurt a low compression or non perfoormance engine. But running a low octain fuel in a high compression engine is asking for trouble. The higher the compression ratio the better the fuel needs to be to prevent pre ignition. What the lawn mower dude should have said is it is a waste of money using premium in this mower as it will run fine on regular. (by the way you shoul use use premium in your bike)

dont forget about the best reason to use it
its yellow in color wow cool lol

I thought the higher the octane, the cooler ya engine ran (thats why racing fuel has such a high octane rating)

i don't know about that but i know that when i ran premium my bike ran a lot smoother and a friend tried it as well and it stopped his from backfiring coming down from full throttle. I think it also helped in my acceleration as my bike now accelerates faster than my mates....meaning i can kick his arse:)

Racing engins use a high octain fuel because they have a high compression ratio. The higher your compression the more bang you get from each cycle and you get more horse power. If they could win races on low octain they would propably use it, unfortunaly engins that run well on low octain are less powerful per CC.

98 octane?

hey was just wondering if it is possible to run 98 unleaded instead of 91 unleaded it says in the manual to run 91 but what damage could 98 cause it only burns faster than 91!!

also what is the next stage needle and jet for my 125 ducar (26mm)

anyone using a Upper Cyl. additive? moreys or similar?? just wondering....

Last edited:
i use premium 98 octane and its pretty sweet, and i run 15w50 fully synthetic oil in it and it runs smooth as

so who is going to be the test dummy and run optimax and a bottle of octane boost!?? :D or BP racing juice!??

Im going to use Bp Ultimate in mine, With My 20 litres of Briggs & stratton SAE 30 oil.. :D

But yea After speaking to Dad the other day, From his Days Owning Honda and Susuki dealerships, He Said I should be running A Straight 30 mineral Oil (Pref. Briggs and Stratton)

Works well B'Kos this is what MotoVert Recommend to run In every 4 stroke 107cc-141cc Pit bike.

Fully synthetic Isnt really the best option for Pit bikes.

My 2 cents, Cheers Blair..... ;)

Yeah the reason they recommended using mineral oil is cause they both sell or sold bikes and it costs them money in returns and reputation if you get this next bit wrong. You need to run mineral oil for the break-in period to establish a good ring seal. Then you can switch to synthetic which has superior friction reducing properties so your motor runs better and is slow wearing.
But your dad knows that many people will go away confused if he told them this, not know the difference between the oils or whatever, so its easier to be safe and say, use mineral oil only. So he knows he wont see that bike back for repair in the next twelve months whilst still under warranty and he's got to foot the bill. But he also knows if you use only mineral oil he will see you back at his shop looking for replacement parts or a new bike sooner than if you had used synthetic oil after the break-in period. And this time your foot'in the bill...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back