Puchased a busted terramoto for cheap. Need some Help/Advise

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah mate the engine relies on the clutch 100% to start. if it slips then its harder to start..

the lever you played with is usually all that is needed to adjust the clutch.
adjust it so there is only a tiny bit of free play but at least 2mm on the clutch lever on the cover..

failing that the plates could be stuffed but a bike with such low hours on it you wouldnt think so..
maybe they have used the wrong oil or something in the engine (like way too thick) which would result in the plates trying to slip all the time..

and basically pushing the bike in gear with the clutch in there should still be some sort of drag on the engine and when you let the clutch out it gets harder to push.

my advice would be to fiddle with that lever again and then if you need to remove the clutch cover and dis-assemble the clutch and soak the plates in kero.

but your going to need a special castle nut tool to undo the clutch nut...

the other question you have to ask yourself is how much time and effort are you willing to spend on a crappy 125 engine, maybe consider this a time to wack a 140/150/160 in it..

Ok ignore the previous. I managed to adjust the clutch in way to make it work. But the clutch is on its last legs slightly slipping and ive adjusted it as much as possible and when you pull the clutch the point of grab is right on the end. Fairly annoying but its working. Secondly...now thats working i got it started but its idolling High even tho ive got the idle screw all the way in and a little ruff. Im thinking something could be a little off in the carby. Anything you guys think i should check?

Also because it was idolling really high and i was stationary for a while whilst i was trying to tune it should the bike get hot enough for the first 20cm's of the exhaust pipe from the block glow red?

It did look like the previous owner tried to tinker with the carby because when i pulled it off it was missing two of the four lower screws.

the other question you have to ask yourself is how much time and effort are you willing to spend on a crappy 125 engine, maybe consider this a time to wack a 140/150/160 in it..

I've spend $0 on it so far and i got the bike for $200
The thing looks close to brand new. Looks like the guy had no idea what he was doing Riding the clutch the whole time for 3-4 rides and then just gave up when the thing stopped working.

I'm actually thinking of just getting it running nicely, maybe adjust the clutch just a little more. I've already cleaned the sh1t out of it, might get some paint on some area's few touch ups and fix's here and there and then just selling it for $600-800 in the paper to some nub kid, theres another one of these on Gumtree in perth selling for $1500 (not that they would get that).

Then go and buy myself a 140 or something with some bigger forks and has had TLC in its lifetime. My brother picked up a really nice Thumpstar pro 140 for $700 and the thing is brilliant.

my advice would be to fiddle with that lever again and then if you need to remove the clutch cover and dis-assemble the clutch and soak the plates in kero.

but your going to need a special castle nut tool to undo the clutch nut...

I know the nut, ive got the tool for it.

By pulling them out, soaking them in my parts washer for a day and giving them a good clean you think ill grab some more life out of it? Or not worth it?

Ok ignore the previous. I managed to adjust the clutch in way to make it work. But the clutch is on its last legs slightly slipping and ive adjusted it as much as possible and when you pull the clutch the point of grab is right on the end. Fairly annoying but its working. Secondly...now thats working i got it started but its idolling High even tho ive got the idle screw all the way in and a little ruff. Im thinking something could be a little off in the carby. Anything you guys think i should check?

Also because it was idolling really high and i was stationary for a while whilst i was trying to tune it should the bike get hot enough for the first 20cm's of the exhaust pipe from the block glow red?

It did look like the previous owner tried to tinker with the carby because when i pulled it off it was missing two of the four lower screws.

sounds like you have a nasty vacuum leak there mate..

glowing red can be normal if it heats up quickly but usually means its running lean.

check all the gaskets and orings on the inlet manifold, also strip the carb and clean it out..

I know the nut, ive got the tool for it.

By pulling them out, soaking them in my parts washer for a day and giving them a good clean you think ill grab some more life out of it? Or not worth it?

probly wont help going by your last comment about the clutch.. just adjust it the best ya can.

but give it an oil change and use full mineral based oil.. 10w40 or 20w40..10w40 obviously would be better for the clutch

Ok so the bike is completely back together. Just did a few other fix's here and there. Issue with a brakes i also fixed and 5 out of 7 of the plastic's bolts were missing so had to sort that out. But all good i went for a ride up the street in the dark. The clutch works fine, does need a new clutch in the near future but it works fine.

I also pulled the carby off and the intake funnel thingo and i put gasket goo in between the intake and the block, intake and the carby and i also pulled apart the carby and gave it another good clean and its probably made 5% difference to the idle issue i dont think it has to do with a vac leek anywhere between the block and the carby cos i made sure thats sealed 100%.

Still idle isnt that crash hot, anything else?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back