PW-50

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did you check out my PW50 build/fix thread, and watch the expansion chamber cooking videos ?

if you haven't yet burned the carbon/oil out the exhaust it would be a good idea to do it.
if you don't have a gas burner, you can even throw it on some hot coals, a campfire/bonfire etc etc.
cook it so it burns off all the paint on the outside, and then keep it on the fire so it glows red hot, and flip it over, turn it around etc etc, until it stops smoking.
then clean it up with a wire brush, and give a couple of coats of VHT Expansion Chamber paint.

yeah, as Blender asked,
what jets are in the new carby, compared to the originals in the Mikuni ?
and did you oil the new Air Filter too, before fitting it ?

I didn't tear apart the new carb and forgot to oil the filter. I going to also borrow a compression gauge

you wont see much from a compression gauge, a fresh engine has around 5.8 to 1

oil up the air filter, with some spray on oil etc, and clean out the exhaust

I did all that today. what about the ignition coil cause me and nephew figure out when it cuts off we can let it sit for a minute and it go for a little bit longer. I have had this happen once on a three wheeler and spark wire started melting.

normally an ignition coil works or it doesnt ?
try kicking it over without the spark plug in it, but earthed to the engine, and see if it is sparking

i think it sounds like it is running too lean personally, and starts to sieze up?
have you checked that the oil level in the front oil tank behind is full, and that oil flows out the hose at the carby ?
the oil pump might need to be adjusted ?

it could also be that the oil mixture is too rich, and fouling the plug, but that would make it hard to restart ?
what colour is the porcelain insulator near the electrode of the spark plug ?

Nevermind it works. how do you adjust the oil pump also the bike take off on it's own does that mean its idle to high

yeah, the screw on the side, middle section of the carby is for the idle speed

have you adjusted the carby to suit the bike ?
if not leave the idle speed up high, and adjust the mixture screw, at the air filter end of the carb, in or out until it gives you the highest/smoothest idle
then drop the idle speed back down so it idles nicely.

they are a centrifugal clutch arnt they? so when it reaches a certain rpm it takes off, so your idle must a little too high.

maybe the idle would have been set higher on the new carb, so set it to where it was on the old one.

Will do . Is it normal for it to blow trash from the exhaust or do I need to torch it again ?

that means it wasn't burnt out enough
get an area glowing red hot, blowing compressed air through it will help continue the burning process.
you'll see red hot carbon/oil bits come flying out the other end, and maybe some occasional fire balls
it takes about an hour to do, depending on how much foreign stuff is inside

pull apart, and clean/burn out the muffler too if you haven't already

I put it in the grill for a couple hours and then tap it lightly with a hammer and they was a lot of junk came out of it. I adjusted the carb but it still take off on its own maybe the throttle sticking since it don't do it all the time. but it dont cut out now unless the the spark plug boot fall off ( I guessing I should replace that).

get a new spark plug cap, either a Silicon Rubber, or Bakelite (both are resistor type)
something like these, you can probably find them cheaper locally ? -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-I...otorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2a1edbd2a7&_uhb=1
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NGk-Spar..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5f97c49f&_uhb=1

with the throttle sticking,
loosen the screw that hold the throttle to the handlebars, and move it out towards the end of the bars a couple of mm's, see if that helps.

i don't know if you saw my PW throttle cable, or not, but they do wear out too.
but replacements are cheap too -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Yamaha-PW-50-PW50-throttle-cable-assembly-CB15-/370345202753?
pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item563a4b5441&_uhb=1

and the throttle tube, that turns on the bars, wear, and can get dirt, oil inside them, and they bind up a bit
pull it apart and clean it up, spray some silicon spray in the housing so it slides/turns nicely
and run some teflon based lube down your cables too while you are at it.

I found out today I need a gasket for the side the transmission oil going. Oil went everywhere

here is a link for a transmission cover gasket-
Genuine Yamaha crankcase gasket $5 from this Yamaha dealer.

Latest posts

Back