Quick Tips and Advice

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOXraceWES

Reaction score
Please may I ask for some of your time to help me on these tips and advice for myself and other riders who would like to know?

So I go riding most weekends but when I'm at the track I have to wear my trainers which is a very bad option because when I crash, it hurts and I mean it hurts. When wearing my boots, they're not too flexible. Trying to stand up is quite hard, do you guys think I should wear my boots around the house and work on the muscles in my legs? Because using my boots when I'm not used to them is quite dangerous because when I can't stand up going over stutters, I wobble and fall off. My boots are Alpinestars Tech 3

I need that first one answered and resolved by the end of 15th of November because I'll be going to a proper Motocross track where you're only allowed to wear boots.

Secondly, when I'm hitting jumps. I need some advice on this. When I'm going over doubles, what shall I do? Try and attempt to jump over both or go over them slowly? I really don't get it. Maybe some tips for all jumps as well please?

I also need help with berms, I don't hit them very well really. I would have to slow down to about 10 mph then turn. What shall I do? As I'm going in shall I go quite fast and turn and put on the power as I'm coming out? I don't think I have experienced berms quite well because the one at the track I've been going too if you go over the berm, you come to a sudden drop which isn't good for my confidence.

What about stutters/wave? What's the best way for going over them as well?

One more is when I come onto these big bumps, not stutters but bumps my front wheel will go in and it's very hard to get out. Shall I just pull wheelies over them like I sometimes do or is it because Pitbikes are small wheel, they feel the bumps more?

Please don't turn this into a silly thread, I only need some help. Thanks guys, you'll be helping me out a ton.

Last edited:
Yes, I know I've got to wear them. But is there any other ways of getting them more flexible?

Don't start being immature and abusing people. Seriously. If you're going to be like that, why are you even a certified MR member?

they are meant to be hard to wear it just takes time to get used to them, if they were flexible then they would not be useful. practice practice practice, also take into account if u are having issues changing gears etc adjust ur lever to suit how u ride with ur boots, we had to for my brothers boots had to lift the lever to help him ride

Ok, thanks. Can you tell me about the other tips and advice I'm looking for? Thanks.

I accidentally refreshed the page like a while after I posted the other one. Silly me.

Last edited:
As for MX boots ... they really don't suit pit bikes ... You'd need a pair with a super flexible hinged foot ... You can buy special pit bike boots and wear shin pads ... but they're more of a shoe ...

http://i6.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/fb/5a/67e3_1.JPG

You're more than likely to wreck the gear shift mech or tranny of a chinese motor wearing full MX boots ...

Jumping is all about knowing how and when to transfer your bodyweight and how to use the brakes or engine in mid air to control what the wheels are doing ...

You lay the bike over and "rail" thru berms at a steady throttle ... then once you're at the halfway point you can hit the throttle and hammer outta there ... on the rear wheel if you're good ... For good cornering ability , it helps if you are physically fit and strongly built in proportion to your bodyweight ... Add weight training to your preparation ...

For whoops/stutters ... you have to ride the bike like a jockey on a horse ... get your weight off the seat and over the rear wheel ... relax your arms and legs and use them like suspension to move in time with the bike but maintain a firm grip on the bars and let the bike move how it wants ... It's best to maintain a steady speed and throttle position to get the wheels to skip across the peak of each bump ... (for yours and your wheels sake) ... it's all in the timing and something you learn to instinctively deal with thru practice and experience ... If you lose your rythm or stiffen up ... you're off ... :p

Watch videos of people riding and doing what you want to do ... then slow things down and watch what THEY do , repeatedly until you get a mental picture of their techniques in your head ... then practice putting it into action yourself ... You can also do the same thing watching people crash to learn what NOT to do ... ie ... get a friend or relative to film you riding and watch yourself stack in slo-mo ....

Last edited:
I have to agree that mx boots are not that good for pitbikes. I wear them and find it difficult to stand up if my feet are in a comfy riding position. However in order to change gears and brake (rear) i need to adjust my feet a fair bit.
Do you experienced guys have your feet sort of pointing down to the ground a bit so that your feet are under the gear shifter?
If I ride with my feet in a position that would be good for a full size bike then my foot tends to be on the brake all the time.
Adjusting the gear shifter sounds like a good idea for the left foot :)

Latest posts

Back