raising height of crf80

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkwdw

Reaction score
Can you raise the height of a crf80. Its the wifes bike but is a bit to small. Havnt got the money to upgrade right now but would like to make it more comfortable for her to ride on. Read something bout an aussie lift. how do work and how high can you go. Would like to get atleast the height of a ttr 125 or maybe a crf 150

taller seat foam will make her legs feel better on longer rides (and standing up and whatnot)

looks like you could also lift the back up with a new shock or a shock riser im not too sure what you could do with the front maybe a bigger wheel to match the rear height * it may look like a dune bike then :) *

i have read bout ppl.swapping in cr80 on xr 80's and 100's wuld this b the same? wat bout the cr80 rear spring. may need the swingarm though?

if the swing arm is the same length and has similar mounting holes on the frame i cant see why you could not use a cr80shocka.. you need the spring and the shock because the shocker is longer then whats on your crf (i could only imaging or when you go off a jump the spring would come loose like on a spring cut car)

you could probably do the forks if there the same size if others have done it you would have to measure but the tripple clamps should fit (you may not need the tripple clamps if the cr80's ones are not upside down and have the same dia top tube on the forks)

also if you wanted to go a cheaper option.. if the cr 80 shock is 300mm then you can get a gpx 300mm shock for about 75 new from dhz moto + if you want to spend the money you can get some longer forks (i think depends on the original forks from there too with a upgraded for for about 400 but they are as smooth as silk and alot of racers here upgrade to them)

Its a linkage rear, so you could make(or buy if someone makes it) a set of links that raise the rear shock a little

as motodevo suggested, the links are easy to make, i have made up a few

bounce the rear end of the bike and let it settle.
find a point to measure from the ground, up to maybe the bottom/back edge of the seat ?

put the bike up on a stand or crate.
then remove the 2x bolts holding the 2 link plates off the linkage, where it joins the linkage to the rear swinger
get yourself some 4mm or 5mm thick steel bar 25mm wide, (i think bunnings/hardware stores might even sell it ?)
cut the 2 new pieces 10mm longer than the ones you just removed.
measure the distance between the 2x holes at each end, centre to centre.
and mark up and drill the new holes onto the new pieces, but add 10mm to your measurement.
deburr the 2 holes in each piece and refit the new links to the bike

making the new links 10mm longer between centres will raise the rear approx 30mm, possibly a bit more ?

drop the bike back down, bounce the rear again, checking for the new links fouling/rubbing anywhere
if so, remove them and grind back the areas that are rubbing, refit them and check it again.
and then remeasure the rear ride height.

maybe even take some pics as you go, and post them up
other may be interested in seeing how it's done too

cheers, craig

You could also add an inch or two of foam where the seat dips and then goes up again to the filler cap, then a set of taller bars to match. Or if you find a cheap xr100 with a dead engine, the frame forks wheels and suspension haven't really changed from 1985 to the current crf100, just some different brackets for tank seat and side plates

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Cutting and moving the mounts sounds easier said then done for me. Will have a look as i dont quite get what you mean but by looking at it i might. Have been looking at the lifting link things on ebay. They seem pretty cheap but they dont give a measurement on how high they will lift it. Will need matching forks to raise the front so the bike dont look odd.

Latest posts

Back