Re-Packing Mufflers

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_gus

Reaction score
Gday guys.

someone (DVDrip?) Sent me a link on re-packing mufflers.
the tute was great, but had no pictures, so i dont understand 100% how to do it.

if i just roll up some flame-proof insulation and throw that in the muffler can (because mine is 100% hollow) is that likely to restrict airflow dramaticaly and lower the performance of my bike??

any help would be top. thanks all.

you need a baffle, what happened to it?
if you roll it up and stick it in there with no baffle you're probably going to say by by to performance.

bassicaly you drill out the rivets at the end of the can, then pull out the packing and baffle, then pack stainless steel scours around the baffle and stick it back in.... then with a stick just keep packing stainless scours in there as tight as possible until it's full, then rivit it back up.

I guess you could get the steel mesh to make baffle from an exhaust place.

I tried my muffler with no insides before I packed it, I thought it sounded like crap, very empty tinny noise

Cheers Rip.

yeh, couldnt tell you where it went. just...doesnt have one. hahaha

i bought the bike of a mate, who bought it second hand, so chances are the last owner thought it would sound "Fully Sick Bro" without all the baffling in it.

so, ulimately ineed a baffle/core before i can start throwing insulation in there?

try just having a straight through pipe with no end can on,lol, when i bought my last bike exhaust snapped off etc so had to weld it back on but it sounded like a v-twin chopper with just the pipe and no can.

yea the insulation won't stay in there for long without one.
just go to an exhaust joint I'm sure they'll have some offcuts or something for ya, It's pretty straightforward to measure up the ends of the can where the core slots in and the diameter you'll need.

I reckon if you think it sounds good now you'll be blown away once you've packed it

oh yea I reckon just having an empty can would cause a serious loss in power too so this could make a bigger improvement than you ever hoped for

try just having a straight through pipe with no end can on,lol, when i bought my last bike exhaust snapped off etc so had to weld it back on but it sounded like a v-twin chopper with just the pipe and no can.

hahaha

i have a 250cc (apparently) bike here without the muffler, cant wait to get her running. shes been sitting a while.

Cheers Rip, ill give that a whirl aye.
oh damn, no shops are open tomorow....bugger.

i hope she sounds good.

thanks fellas, as always, full of usefull tips and help :D

if you have a drill and a vice, plus some steel tubing the right size you could just do it yourself. Prob about 25ml tubing or something, or 1" ( depending on if you guys use metric or not). Then just drill out holes.

Might be tricky to get right with power and flow etc. yeah when i had just the straight pipe it had a loss in power, not as much as you think but with the engine not running as i hoed too it was shooting flames.

iv seen ppl use chicken wire rolled a couple of times to make a baffle core... couldnt say if it works or not or for how long tho..

Yeah suppose that would work, or even that mesh you get for car bodykits. Or some people may call them grills.

get some thin wall pipe the right diameter, drill many holes in it, cut to size and ya done, had to do it for a mate worked a treat, he's still riding with it now

I'm doing it to one of my mufflers I have. I'll get pics for you. All I need is the steel wool and I'm done. It's still pretty self explained though.

I'll upload the pics to the 're-pack muffeler thread' if a mod could edit the pics to each step. They'll be in order.

common housing insulation that you chuck in walls and ceilings works really well too... been using it on my bikes for years, and you can pack it in really tight... keep in mind the looser the packing is stuffed into the muffler can, the lesser muffling effect it will have, and it will burn out a lot quicker... ie pack it as tight as you can, using as much packing as you can..

Okay problem
1) Mum hasn't brought the stuff yet
2) Computer I upload pics to is broken
3) the internet modum is buggered.

I'll get to it though. I've allready drilled out the pop rivets and got the baffel out ect ect. Just need to re-pack it.

Latest posts

Back