Red Baron fork extender kit problems?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitboss125

Reaction score
Hey there,

I tryed to fit a red baron fork extender kit today and it doesnt want to fit in two ways. Firstly the pins that hold the spring ends to the legs wouldnt go in so i simply drilled them out. But then when i went to fit the front wheel, it wouldnt go in and is as if the spacer is now too big (the gap between the forks where the bolt gos through is smaller) Has anyone else had these problems and how did you fix them? should i simply machine up another spacer or what...... Seems a bit dodgey to me. No reason why the kit shouldnt just bolt on with no modifications.

Cheers, Dave

At the very top of the forks (internally) there are notches so the forks click in one way. If they are in that groove the forks should line up and be paralell to the fork tubes so the spacer SHOULD go in. If you are sure that the tops of the forks are in the groove, I would just force the legs apart so the spacer fits, it has to fit.

damm i hope i dont have those problems my red baron kit turns up tomorrow i will let you no how i go with it

At the very top of the forks (internally) there are notches so the forks click in one way. If they are in that groove the forks should line up and be paralell to the fork tubes so the spacer SHOULD go in. If you are sure that the tops of the forks are in the groove, I would just force the legs apart so the spacer fits, it has to fit.

Yea but thats as good as useless cause then the forks legs dont slide inside the outer tubes... waaay too much friction

i fitted mine today and the only problem i had was i had to drill the hole out like you did so the pin could go through but it was to stiff once i got it all together and i recalled someone saying use one stock spring so pulled it all back down and put a stock spring back in now its sic

a decent write up with pics would be good if anyone is feeling techy...

how much grease are you guys puttin in? any specific type??

so one hd one stock eh.. whats doin with ur spare one steve? got any stock legs around??

how does it sit with the one stock and one aftermarket? still an inch higher or stock height or halfway between? (disregarding the fact that you have the one inch longer legs in)

i found if you grind the pins to more of a point it finds it's way through the hole alot easier without having to drill out the leg holes also use a good pin punch set when taking out and installing the pins.....
i give the springs and bushings a nice coating with blue hi-temp grease(free from work) works a treat

Last edited:
Yeah the one i used was valvoline high temp or something like that and it was blue aswell.

ok i just tryed putting my stock legs back in and they went in all sweet
so i have come to the conlusion that my legs are the problem.... they dont appear bent, i highly doubt they would be. maybe i got a dodgey set or something but i doubt thats possible. basically the gap between the part where the bolt gos through is about 8mm to short on the aftermarket legs compared to the stock legs.... very weird

ill just get dad to make me one in the lathe. That way i can keep the stock one incase i ever need it or want to run the stock legs or something. Just weird that others havent had to do this... maybe the 09 models are slightly different to the earlier models and thats why it doesnt fit?

Cheers, Dave

mines an 09 and the only thing i had to do was drill out the hole so the pins fitted

hey, i just put my rb fork extenders and springs in had the same problem had to drill out the holes, but ended up getting my mate down at the shop to do it, haha so much easier then stuffing around with it myself.

Latest posts

Back