replacement motor aint startin

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brown-i

Reaction score
gday i replaced my 125 with a 140cc lifan, it was sittin for a good month before i put it in my bike. ive checked all my wiring twice, cleaned the carby, new spark plug, new oil, new fuel and it still wont start..whhhyyyy!

haha good one, but yes everything is the way it should be and its just not starting:(

Check for spark using a known to be good plug ... any bike or car plug will do ... then check again with your bike engines plug ... You can check your bikes plug on one lead of a running car engine to save kicking your bike over and frigging around trying to earth the plug at the same time ... That'll verify whether the CDI / ignition system or the plug is the problem if you have no spark ... IF you have spark , squirt some fuel into the plug hole , put the plug back in and give her a kick ... IF it starts then stops ... then you have a fuel delivery problem from either the tank , the fuel line or the carb float bowl ...

Also it pays to check the valve clearances of a new Chinese engine ... just get the "T" mark on the flywheel aligned with the index mark on the LHS crankcase with the rockers on the cam's base circle ... ie watch the inlet rocker go down then come back up while rotating the flywheel counter clockwise and when the "T" comes around and aligns , the piston will be at TDC on the power stroke where the rocker to valve stem clearances need to be adjusted at ... The ignition should have fired 15 degrees or less before TDC ... then check for rocker side movement or slight play ... NO movement or play whatsoever on any rocker means that the valve could be off the seat and allowing the compression to escape ... causing hard starting ...

What do you set the valve clearance too and what part of the lobe do you set it to?

cheers

What do you set the valve clearance too and what part of the lobe do you set it to?

cheers

.003 intake / .004 exhaust

I don't know what you mean by "the lobe" check out some guides if ya don't know what ya doing

cheers

lobe...the bit of a cam that is lumpy like and makes the valve go up...down?:confused:

base circle the bit of the cam that is round and goes almost three quarters of the way around it... set your clearance with the rocker resting here. ie, at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke.

lacking feeler guages? a sheet of standard paper is 2 thou... or .002. about 0.051mm i think... um... meh...its chinese with chinese tolerances:p

my hunka junk asks for .05mm...thats too fine for good running though. starts coughing popping etc... and the exhaust should be the larger gap/ clearance, cause it gets hotter thus expands more....i think...

Last edited:
i havnt had time to pull the ingine apart but i have put a little fuel in the chamber, no go so i put a little start ya bastard in, no go.
ill grab another spark plug tomorrow and see how that goes but ugh i might have to pull it apart. is it hard?
i also took a pic of my wiring just incase!
-white from irk to white of cdi
-black from irk to red of cdi and red black of kill switch
-yellow of cdi to yellow and black of coil
-all earths joined and screwed to bike frame

Attachments

• Photo0059.jpg
    Photo0059.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 8
try a different cdi/coil before you go unbolting anything;) usually the cdi mdule that kicks the bucket...

check your killswitch. um. what else? poke your finger in the plug cap and kick it over...if it bites, then its all working;) best to get a mate to stick his finger in actually...,

Latest posts

Back