Rim Locks Anybody?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mech_eng_matty

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just curious to see if anyone on here is running Rim Locks in either rim?

Hillz, you'd almost have to being a stunter who would no doubt throws a few stoppies here and there wouldn't you?

i got some, but havent got around to drilling the hole and installing them yet!

i some how rotated the front tire and stuffed the valve, i reckon the pressure must have just been too low,

but iam putting them in both in the next weekend or so, $12 each cause someones bound to ask lol.

I really need to put rim locks in, they are a must if you ask me, on my old bike I got constant flat tyres, im just waiting for new bike to get a flat then I'll put em in.

Wouldn't you only really need it in the rear tyre?

It all depends on what kind of riding your doing.

As we know, a rim lock prevents the tyre rotating on the rim and causing the valve in the tube to get pulled in its hole hence causing the a hole in the tube.

A rear rim lock is going to be very handy in all kinds of riding. It will prevent holes caused by; fast take offs (dropping the clutch on a grippy surface), lots of lock ups and many more

A front rim lock is handy for when your are doing very hard braking on the front end; stoppies in stunting, motard racing etc etc

I figured they'd be a pretty handy thing to have on your bike (i've always run one on my bigger bikes) but i wasn't sure if guys had problems with they're tubes or not!

yep i put them on the front an back of my pitpro138 i was riding the bike on hard dirt so every time i popped a munno or took off hard or took a corner on throttle the back tyre popped an the front popped cause of the corning so once i put them in i havnt had a flat since

i reckon there a must do mod cause i dont have to worry about it popping when i give the bike some gas ;)

i got some, but havent got around to drilling the hole and installing them yet!

i some how rotated the front tire and stuffed the valve, i reckon the pressure must have just been too low,

but iam putting them in both in the next weekend or so, $12 each cause someones bound to ask lol.

Ok, so how much were they :p just kiddin dude. I havnt had any problems with my tyres without them..as long as the pressure is up its ok i spose. Only flat i ever got was becase i can down a bit sideways on some rocks and pinched it..took about half a lap till i noticed..i though i had screwed the clutch because the bike was revving up but only going really slow. Then i noticed the rim was just spinnig on the tyre lol :p

Just get the bloody things, trust me. I had to ride about ten km with both front and back flats. Ended up totally destroying both rims and tyres. Was very sketchy trying to control the bastard in that state and was drifting all over the place.

Ok, so how much were they :p just kiddin dude. I havnt had any problems with my tyres without them..as long as the pressure is up its ok i spose. Only flat i ever got was becase i can down a bit sideways on some rocks and pinched it..took about half a lap till i noticed..i though i had screwed the clutch because the bike was revving up but only going really slow. Then i noticed the rim was just spinnig on the tyre lol :p

What kind of psi are u guys running in your tyres? I know on my big bike i run 16-22 in the rear and 18-24 in the front depending on conditions.

Does this change for a mini?

Geezus, i'd be thinking either your running a pretty high tyre pressure or mini's are a lot more gutless than i thought and they can't spin rims purely on power alone!

i have the back pretty damn hard..not exactly sure, but its close to 20 (recommended is like 16 or 15?)...i did this to decrease the chance of getting a flat, although it may hinder my performance. My bike has plenty of power so i cant see that being a problem.

without rimlocks the rear should be at least 30psi, Not the best grip on hard terrain but stops that tyre spinning.

Yep gotta have em. I run pretty low pressures most of the time. Can't do it without.

i run my front and rear tyre at 38-40 psi and have never had a torn valve and i'm constantly doing monos, stoppies, sharp corners, real fast stops. the only flats i have had are from a nail and a broken glass bottle.

I've got a rimlock sitting in the shed just gotto get aroud to putting it in lol

Using rimlocks is a good idea - they allow you to safely use lower tyre pressures which gives better traction off road and also helps stop the rims , spokes , hubs and wheel bearings from getting the crap pounded out of them - tyres pumped to the right pressures also act as mini shock absorbers .

yeh i just got a flat pulling monos out the back of my place and im going to get a rimlock :)

you gotta drill out the wheel so id get a professinal to do it for you.

Latest posts

Back