rim locks

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangus!!

Reaction score
hey,
just done my first tyre wile i was hangin a mono bout 10 mins ago so im just wonderin where u can get rimlocks
..local moto shop??

just so you know... there IS a thread on this giving a basic price to expect to pay.....
have you tried CALLING a bike shop and INQUIRING!?
or
normal_searchbuttonfordummies7E0.jpg

and incase you all DONT try searching...

This is what I found.......

1:http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8431&highlight=Rimlock

2:http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8674&page=2&highlight=Rimlock

and a few more that were less informative...
Still rekon tyre levers, a rim protector and a spare tube would cost less than paying the shop to do it though....

Last edited:
Im really wanting to know about rim locks too, don't you have to have a hole in the rim opposite the valve? Will a moto shop put that hole in for you?

I asked at the KTM shop where I allways get my tyres changed and they said you cant get rim locks for 10" rims and they wont put them in they are also going to stop changing 10" tyres for people because they get so many and they are so hard to do! :confused: But I don't know about 12"s and 14"s but I would like to know, now that I have a 12" and 14" setup.. I'll ask around at more shops.

Im really wanting to know about rim locks too, don't you have to have a hole in the rim opposite the valve? Will a moto shop put that hole in for you?

I asked at the KTM shop where I allways get my tyres changed and they said you cant get rim locks for 10" rims and they wont put them in they are also going to stop changing 10" tyres for people because they get so many and they are so hard to do! :confused: But I don't know about 12"s and 14"s but I would like to know, now that I have a 12" and 14" setup.. I'll ask around at more shops.

Tell your KTM shop to get rooted and go elsewhere...

Yes they drill a hole opposite the valve. Shop will put it in.
I have a 14" and 12" setup, and they put rim locks on both. I don't know whether a 10" is too small for rim locks.
I just saw you're in Adelaide so can't tell you where to go to get the rim locks installed.

Last edited:
changing a tyre is a piece of piss, I use what tyre shops (car and bike) use, a bucket of water with a shit load of detergent in it and a paint brush or a spray bottle with the same in it. yes u need to muscle it sometimes but hey most of the time I dont even need to use tyre levers to get the thing back on...
as for talc powder, I have never tried it but would say that it is slippery shit and would work well and leave ur bike smelling PRETTY....

Hey Flarry,
The KTM shop where u get ur tyres changed must not like money.
To stop changing the general publics 10" tyres because there is so many of them defeats the purpose of being in business, I would think that selling and changing tyres along with other accessories is bread and butter for bike shops.
If they find changing a 10" tyre hard I would not be letting them touch a thing on my bikes.
Tell them to jam it up their clacker and find another place......:D

Thats what I thaught, they must REALLY hate changing them!!

It costs me $10 bucks to get my tyre changed. Why would I fn bother doing it myself when I don't have the tools and it's a pain in the ass job anyway.

well here is a little story for you all. when i went through my first set of tyres i got some new irc tyres and whacked them onto the bike, thinking "this cant be too difficult, just like my pushie" i decided to do it by hand (i also at the time didnt have ANY tools with me other than a socket set. after nearly TWO HOURS of pissing around i got the back changed. the whole change was done using brute strength and the blisters told me it wasnt worth the messing around. later on that week i went into SA Dirt Bikes and asked them about the tyres and they said "oohh didnt you know if you get the tyres from us we do free fitting.." lets just say my wounded hands wanted to smash this guys face for not telling me when i bought them from him hahaha. find out if you have free fitting, or if not get the CORRECT tools, not hands, socket wrench and rocks to do the work :S never na good idea to use rocks to get a tyre off (it worked for me but its not recommended) but hay when your at a farm down goolwa way and and its the only tools available, might as well give it a crack :D

Cheers, Tony.

I also have never heard of a bike or tyre shop that charges for fitting if u buy the tyres from them, But having said that when u get a puncture u either do it urself or pay $$. If ur tube is rooted thats $14-$18 plus $10+ to get the tyre fitted, thats a $24+ tube for a $700 bike, as I ride bikes as well as my 2 boys, I will be doing my own, as it gets very expensive to keep paying someone else to do it.
But I am not here bagging any one that wants to pay to have it done, if u got the bucks, go for it...

P.S... lol A rock thats hilarious, can I ask what u were using the rock for?

after leavering a section of the tyre away from the rim, using the rock to hold it out so i could use my fingers and the arm of the socket wrench to leaver the rest of the tyre off. hahaha i know a bit odd but it seemed to work :D

Cheers, Tony.

Mate, if it worked all is good. Necessity is the mother of all inventions!!!!

thats it mate, use what you can haha.

p.s. love the avatar image.

Cheers, Tony.

Latest posts

Back