Rim Locks

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would get someone else to fit them for you local motorbike shops can do it for you.

SUS id go that way as daniel said

there a pain in the ass mate especialy on small rims
youll need your tyre of anyways so just do it when you get a new tyre
there only about 30 bucks plus 15 bucks to install

even tho i dont run rim locks and i have never striped a valve
i have my tyres pumped to the recomended pressure on the rear
and i run an IRC tyr on 1 bike and a BRIDGESTONE on the other

but i do hear of ppl rippin them so it must happen i spose

a hole will need to be drilled in ur rim to aplly a rimlock
if u want to give it a go make sure ur not gunna need ur fingers for about 3 hours after cos u pinch them all the time tryna get the rim lock in i wouldnt bother just keep ur tyre pumped up to the maximum pressure

I found out that you'll need to keep the tyre reasonably pumped up even with rim locks, I got a flat even with a rim lock but I would still have them no matter what.

They'll install them at the shop for about $20, just do that.

they way a rim lock works is that when you tighten the nut on the rim lock the rim lock presses the inside tyre wall up agaist the rim so when you accelerate hard the tyre dosnt spin on the rim
if the tyre cant spin on the rim then you wont rip the vavle off the tube and get flattys

if your not the best at putting tyres on rims take it to a shop, i put my tyres and rimlocks on myself but the neighbours could here me screaming and kickin shit
i just couldnt be f@#ked taking it to the motie shop

hey there are a couple of videos on the transworldmotorcross website about manual tyre changing and they talk about the rim locks, basically you will need to drill a hole in your rim in the centre and normally across from the valve stem hole. Videos on how to install them can be found here
Tuesday Tip: Tire Changing With Doug Schopinsky
hope that helps ya out

How do they work?

How do you install them?

Are the ones DHZ are selling ok quality wise?
NEW RIMLOCK SUIT 1.85 RIM SIZE, PIT DIRT BIKE 140CC - eBay Other Makes, Bikes, Motorcycle Parts, Cars, Bikes Boats. (end time 24-Oct-07 11:21:30 AEST)

How are they sized? 12"x3.00 tube size requires what size rim lock?

Any other info would be great.

Thanks
Scott

A 1.85 rim requires a 1.85 rim lock ........ otherwise they'll be there purely for "ornamental " purposes . (you could buy a few flat head allen head bolts to do the same job cheaper :p )

I bought 6 locks off DHZ (3 x 1.85 and 3 x 1.60 ) and they are really good quality ..... the exact same locks sold at bike shops for a lot more than DHZ is charging ........... They're Black Adder brand and are made in Taiwan ..... the equivalent of Japan ........

Incidentally Honda XR's have been running rim locks as stock since 1973 so I don't find them to be too much of a hassle to fit ...... patience , patience , patience ...... stay calm ........ relax ..........and have a brown paper bag close at hand to breathe into while counting backwards when things get too much too handle ..... 3...2...1...

Just drill a hole in the dead centre of the rim 180 degrees away from the valve and round off any sharp edges with a small rats tail file to stop the threads from catching . To spin people out you could start 90 degrees from the valve then fit a second rim lock 180 away from that to retain perfect balance ......... OR you could REALLY shock people and fit 18 locks 20 degrees apart :eek: .......... LOL .......

yea, im pritty sure you need another hole to put the threaded part of the rimlock through which keeps the wheel inplace!

we have already stated that
u actually couldnt fit 18 because u need to fit the valve stem through

The "V" shaped metal part of the rim lock has to fit tightly into the "V" shape formed by the tyre beads in order to wedge them out tight against the inner rim lips for ANY tyre locking action to happen , the rubber part just protects the tube from being pinched or abraded . IF the rim lock is the proper fit ..... it will lock even a flat tyre solid so that it can't possibly slip on the rim no matter how much rotating force you put on it . You only need ONE rim lock to do the job but each rim lock is pretty heavy so you'd definitely feel the out of balance at higher speeds on a smooth track . Two locks 180 degrees apart would maintain the stock balance and smoothness . Most people would'nt bother ..... but one easy way to see is lift the rear wheel off the ground and rev the bike in top gear to check if the out of balance is bad ...... :)

No I ripped out a valve once but that was because I had a cheap china tube and it wasn't inflated enough.

I got a new one from honda fitted and I used a higher air pressure and I never ripped out a valve after that.

PS I do skids and drifts all the time, get a honda tube.

my dads friend has a bmw 800 without rimlocks

Mr Bean also has a mini 850 without rim locks ....... LOL ........ for max traction on loose tracks you run lower tyre pressures ....... that's why rim locks are needed . I've said once before in another thread that heavy braking over bumps puts more rotational force on tyres than any engine ever could . It's got more to do with how you ride than the power of the engine ..... but you'd assume that a racer with a modded engine will be pounding the bike harder ...... and going deeper into turns under heavy braking .........

couldnt you just drill a hole in the outer part of the rim and thru the tire and put screws thru it?

I honestly think that rim locks on pitty's are a waste of time and i'll tell you why...

1. There's not enough power in these bikes to spin the rim on the tyre under acceleration.

2. the most rotating force that your bike will feel is under braking and even then there's not enough there to do it.

3. Even though they are chinese rims sometimes tyres etc. it can all be avoided by checking your pressure before you go out for your ride.

Latest posts

Back