roadbike question

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divy

Reaction score
when i decide to go for my motorcycle licence i will buy a roadbike obviously
i am going to buy a 2000-2002 R6 but then was thinking i have enough to buy a 2000-2002 R1, i want the R1 more cause of more power an i like the look of it better then the R6 an was wondering what you guys with roadbike experiance think, would it be a dumb idea to go straight for a R1 for a first roadbike
i am a good rider ive been riding dirtbikes since i was 10 im now 21 an ridin a few roadys before an figure the more i ride it the more better i will be riding it on the road
im not gonna sit here an say im the best rider thats why i wanted to know will i be ok to ride it an be safe on it as a first bike??

also ive been saving more an more cause ive stopped buying parts for my dirtbike cause i realised i spent $10,500 last year just on dirtbikes :eek:
so i will have enough to buy a 2005 R1 in 3 to 4 months so should i go for the newer model or sick with the 2000 model

Here the main question about which one to choose:
what type of riding are you going to be doing?
i haven't been to Australia but if there is alot of nice tight windy roads than go with the r6 but if ur more a fan of getting on a straitaway and just blasting it get the r1
i was raised on kawasakis from like birth so my first bike was the ninja 650r but i've been on r6's and r1's

When you first get you license I thought you had to first ride 250's then 500's.

Like, go bigger after a while

My mat ejust bought a 2006 r6. Low down its not that great but once it gets up high the thing rips..

Its a high bike, he took me pillion on it and i was up so high.

He rode a 250 then bought the 600, he is scaring himself on the r6. Hasnt even made the shift light come on yet.

if you get a thou for your first bike you will die & the road bike boyz will tesse you.. best start with the R6 they are plenty fast to get in trouble, & 600's are the main choice of stunting bike. however won't you have to be on 250cc for a year?

A guy that used to work with me had never ridin a bike in his life brought a R1, after 2 weeks he was used to it. It dos'nt really matter what you buy your going to get used to it anyway.

My first bike when i got my licence was a suzuki bandit 1200. shorter wheel base and better for winding roads. The R1 is definatly a demon for speed but i didnt feel right on it cuz its so light. Not sure i would go for the R6 cuz its a slightly smaller frame. knees sat to high. its a nice bike tho.
Ride them both and get what feels better for you.

When you first get you license I thought you had to first ride 250's then 500's.

Like, go bigger after a while

In Qld if you have an open licence for 12 months you can go straight onto a bigger bike if you do a 1/2 day course. better than sitting on a poxy 250 for 12 months and being cramped up.

thanks for the info guys!
when you get your learners permit you can only ride a 260cc or lower but you only hold your L's for 3months so theres no point buying a cbr250 or something like that then going threw the bullshit of selling it an then buying a bigger cc bike so ill just ride the 600cc or 1000cc on my L's

You've got to wait 12 months from the date you get your licence. You have a "restricted" license for the first 12 months of your licence (Victoria anyway).

In Qld all you need to do is get your leaners and do a Q-Ride course and go straight onto an open licence. Providing you already have an open car licence.

you need to have your "P" plates for a year before you can step up to a bigger bike. you can run the chance of not getting caught, but you'll do your bike and car licence if you get done.
if you already ride bikes you should already no a bike will only go as fast as you twist your right wrist.
road is totally different to dirt lots more speed totally diff handling and thousands of tosses that don't look out for bikes.
don't over look bikes like these heaps cheaper to keep on the road(running costs) and still a blast to ride. my last roadie went through a set of tyres every 2500 klm at $700 a set thats without any other things like brakes, chain and sprockets etc, then take into account speeding fines..lol best for me so far was clocked at 245klm, let off with a warning, advantages of living in the bush.http://www.bikepoint.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1021063&TabID=3424&Alias=bikepointau

out here the guy just told me to ride to he stoplight and bak and if i didn't fall i got meh liscense

he(noodles) is in colorado PBM.. they get to choose if they want to wear a lid to.. hmmm Safe..:rolleyes:

when i decide to go for my motorcycle licence i will buy a roadbike obviously
i am going to buy a 2000-2002 R6 but then was thinking i have enough to buy a 2000-2002 R1, i want the R1 more cause of more power an i like the look of it better then the R6 an was wondering what you guys with roadbike experiance think, would it be a dumb idea to go straight for a R1 for a first roadbike
i am a good rider ive been riding dirtbikes since i was 10 im now 21 an ridin a few roadys before an figure the more i ride it the more better i will be riding it on the road
im not gonna sit here an say im the best rider thats why i wanted to know will i be ok to ride it an be safe on it as a first bike??

also ive been saving more an more cause ive stopped buying parts for my dirtbike cause i realised i spent $10,500 last year just on dirtbikes :eek:
so i will have enough to buy a 2005 R1 in 3 to 4 months so should i go for the newer model or sick with the 2000 model

matey. trust me. the r1 or r6 will slap you in the face with power if u have never ridden a road bike more then 600cc before...

REGARDLESS OF HOW CAUTIOUS YOU ARE i had a 250 for my first roadie. the nows i got a gixa 600 k6.. and im ripping the shit outa that bike massive 200foot stoppies wheelies for as long as i want.. etc...

as for a the r1 seriously. im not trying to be mean. thats a certin death wise. one day u will want to get on it for a high speed fun. next thing ull know is u will be face first on the road.. i would advise uget a 250 just to cruse around on.

and if ya have ya l's on a r1 now. new laws BIKE IS GONE.... u want get it back... at all

any thing over 250 they snap ya for. thats why.. see im a stunter, and ive had my fair share of crashes on road bikes. i estimate 20 times i have come of hard in the past 2 years... its not a matter of if i am going to come of. its when. and its allways within 6 months of when u get ya liciens for the bike.

A guy that used to work with me had never ridin a bike in his life brought a R1, after 2 weeks he was used to it. It dos'nt really matter what you buy your going to get used to it anyway.

BS ........
mate

thanks for the info guys!
when you get your learners permit you can only ride a 260cc or lower but you only hold your L's for 3months so theres no point buying a cbr250 or something like that then going threw the bullshit of selling it an then buying a bigger cc bike so ill just ride the 600cc or 1000cc on my L's

WRONG... u cant just get on a bigger bike after 3 months. you wont be insured and you restrictions will last for 1 year. from the day you get you P plates after 1 year you can get a bigger bike..

i cant help it. i laugh at you even thinking of getting a r1 as ya first bike

if i seen you on the street and u said u just got it on ya learners. want to know what i would do. is tell you to fuc* off and not ride near me. your a ticking death trap. i hate squids on big bikes that jump the gun.

Buy the R1 and die.....thats pretty common consensus for a newbie rider. Especially one that is going to break the law riding on his L's.
Why don't you get the correct size bike and sell it once you're allowed to get the biggie.
Licensing is staged for a reason, its designed to stop Ego driven teens from getting the baddest/fastest bike and splatting themselves into a car/bus/truck.
600's are too fast for most roads, especially when you open them right up.
I have had a couple of CBR250RR's and an NSR250SP with all the mods, it was a quick bike and learner legal in NZ. Plenty fast enough and taught me a lot about tyres and handling etc.
Then moved to a '99 GSX-R600, then to a 01 GSX-R1000 and now I've got a 05 GSX-R1000.
Best to start low and work up, sure it can be done.......but how do you know you can do it.......and is it worth dying finding out.
Remember good motorcyclists are always learning.

Latest posts

Back