Roll starting a bike

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redstar

Reaction score
Ok, I've been reading about engine upgrades (on the Tech forum) that involve higher compressions and others and it has been suggested to avoid using both the electric and kick start. Instead, do a roll start.

Can anyone tell us how to do a proper rolling start to fire up the engine. I found no probs doing it on a downhill while I'm on the bike but on a flat tarmac, the rear tire just seems to lift up as I engage the clutch. Any proper methods?

Sounds like an elementary question but I sure can polish whatever it is I know about it.

Last edited:
on my old xr100 i found that if you have it in 2nd and get a good speed pushing it and then jumping and leting clutch out that worked great. I duno about pit bike, try 2nd and see how u go. as for method i don't think there is one :p

The best way is two roll the bike backwards in say second or third probably third is best with the cluch out, (this will reverse the motor back up to compression stroke) the wheel should then stop, pull the cluch in and run forward and jump on side sadle as you dump the cluch to get the motor over compression stroke, then stand up and keep pushing(should keep turning over in third) and open the throttle a little untill it fires up.
cheers motodad:cool:

Last edited:
Your motor would have to have crazy high compression to even consider roll starting.. i know of guys in the US , Motard biuld bikes that have 140cc mod jailings with insane compression, and they only bump start due to fear of striping kickstart gears...

Ive replaced my kickstart gears and i did it in about an hour and only cost $60... big whoop, It took over a year and a half of abuse before the gears let go... i say kick the bugger who cares

Motodad's input is pretty much how I thought it'd be. One thing I didnt consider though is preparing the engine on which stroke its best on. That should help and I'll give it a go.

yeh that the most important part just like kicking over any old thumper like tt 500 or xr500 you had to roll it just over top dead centre past compression or you would have hell of a job kicking them over.

yer... big 4 stroke snap ur tibia LoL

clutch starting 50s works well in higher gears 2,3,4.

1. select desired gear
2. pull clutch in whil in gear.
3. while holding the clutch in start running with the bike.
4. while runnig and holding the clutch in, sit on the bike.
5. dump the clutch.
6. Throttle a bout half way to motivate the engine.

all set.

from experience wif the square swingarms, i have snapped my chain and tensioner wen performing a clutch start. real gay.

Ok, I've been reading about engine upgrades (on the Tech forum) that involve higher compressions and others and it has been suggested to avoid using both the electric and kick start. Instead, do a roll start.

Can anyone tell us how to do a proper rolling start to fire up the engine. I found no probs doing it on a downhill while I'm on the bike but on a flat tarmac, the rear tire just seems to lift up as I engage the clutch. Any proper methods?

Sounds like an elementary question but I sure can polish whatever it is I know about it.

why would u need to roll start a pitty .. ? not like they run 16.9.1 or nething like a diesel.

if you have in irk and hc piston (10:1+)you have to bump start or you can kiss your casing goodbye, or so i have been informed.

why would u need to roll start a pitty .. ? not like they run 16.9.1 or nething like a diesel.

Thats true but its not so much of a NEED. And perhaps not entirely just for compression either. In fact, I tend to take eichkays reco seriously by just kicking the thing.

However, for some people who may prefer to avoid shearing the gears, this is an alternative that knowing how to effectively do it becomes valuable info.

Also, I'm not sure about yours but looking at the quality of my kick start lever, it doesnt look like its gonna last a while and the last thing anyone wants to have is a broken lever in the middle of nowhere and not knowing how to fire up the engine alternatively.

The best way is two roll the bike backwards in say second or third probably third is best with the cluch out, (this will reverse the motor back up to compression stroke) the wheel should then stop, pull the cluch in and run forward and jump on side sadle as you dump the cluch to get the motor over compression stroke, then stand up and keep pushing(should keep turning over in third) and open the throttle a little untill it fires up.
cheers motodad:cool:

you should never roll your bike backwards and drop the clutch!! doenst really matter really wat geard or 4th the higher the better... just pull the clutch in put it in gear start rolling and drop the clutch ;) make sure your rolling fast enough tho

i think he meant roll the bike backwards with it in gear and clutch let out so it hits the compression stroke, and then pull the clutch in, run and let go of the clutch

first of all u hav to hav a start in any gear bike i think cos mine didn't start by roll start as mi and my old man tried... mi mate with an xr100 though would yeh chuck it in gear, bring the clutch in, run forward, hop on the bike standing up, drop the clutch and like bounce the bike kinda as in trying to force it down and give it a thump....

you don't have to have a start in any gear bike pascal what are you talking about.

Is there a chance on a roll start, that if you let the clutch out the wheels could lock up and you'd go flying?

first of all u hav to hav a start in any gear bike i think cos mine didn't start by roll start as mi and my old man tried... mi mate with an xr100 though would yeh chuck it in gear, bring the clutch in, run forward, hop on the bike standing up, drop the clutch and like bounce the bike kinda as in trying to force it down and give it a thump....

wat u on man? any manual with a clutch can be roll started. maybe u jsu dont know wat ur doin!

Is there a chance on a roll start, that if you let the clutch out the wheels could lock up and you'd go flying?

If you try to roll start in 1st, ur most likely to lock up the back wheel because the gearing is too low and ur wheel isnt getting enough traction to turn the engine. I dont know about goin flyin cos u wuldnt really be pushing the bike that fast and just say the wheel lock up it wuld be the back so it would slide rather than the front which would flip you. so basically u wont go flyin unless ur a real dumbshit! lol

I roll started my bike nearly every time i started it for the last two weeks (school holidays)

I usually did it going down a hill, but even on flat ground i found the 3rd gear was the go (for a pit bike if thats what we are talking about, i cant remember now...)

I just ran with the bike, jumped onto it and dropped the clutch and it started up, then i pulled in the clutch as i was going to slow to start in third and thats about it...

Last edited:
I have never run sttarted my bike before.I run on the cement as hard as I can in second and jump on, bounce the bike and drop the clutch and it just skids to a stop

I have never run sttarted my bike before.I run on the cement as hard as I can in second and jump on, bounce the bike and drop the clutch and it just skids to a stop

then try third einstein.

i know some people are newish to bikes, but how the heck did a thread on run starting a bike get so full of missinformation. just silly.

Try using a higher gear and Knobbys are made 4 dirt not cement so its a lot easier to get traction on dirt so try it on that. if that dont work try getting someone heavier 2 do it 4 u, prob not puttin enough pressure on the bak wheel to keep it down. Onli thing i wanna know is why u so concerned bout roll start if u can kick it?

Latest posts

Back