Run In Oil

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyld Fisher

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I've got Lifan 140cc oil cooled engine and i was wondering what oil should I run her in with?

MiniRider's search doesn't work sorry.

just get some 4stroke mineral oil and run it in on that, after run in is complete switch to some semi synthetic 10W-40

NO SYNTHETICS!!!

20w50w is also a bit better on the gears for longevity:) but the 10 40 will free up just that tiny fraction more power, being thinner...

change after one tank, then after two tanks, then whenever...say five tanks...and get a magnetic drain plug;)

:p woah, right down the middle... typical:p

i could go do some googling on what the 10w crap means, but im not:p

from memory, its the viscosity(thickness) of an oil at low and high temperatures.

so if you look at the manual of a car bike tractor, etc, at temps below 0 degrees, they recomend 5-30w's, cause its thinner at low temps.(you try being a starter motor when its minus 35...)and at temps over 30 they recomend 20-60w's... the first number being the low temp, the second number is the viscosity at operating temps...

then monogrades tend to stay at the same thickness, regardless of the temperature...usually 30w

just, um google it, dont take my word for it...

Looks like I'll get non synthetic 10W/40 4 stroke engine oil.

good choice!! non synthetic 10W/40 or 15W/40 4 stroke engine oil is probly the best way to go! either one you can get your hands on will be fine. Just dont run a synthetic oil as it may glase the bores

Whats the diff between synthetic and non synthetic? Does it matter?

Also - anyone from melb know where i can get the 10w 40 non synthetic?
I cant find it friggen anywhere!

I ran my bike in with and still use 15w 50 castrol 4 banger oil - does that matter?

i use CASTROL ACTIV 4T Mineral-based oil and im pretty sure every thread around here recommends it..

hmm may even be a sticky for it in the tech section

Whats the diff between synthetic and non synthetic? Does it matter?

Also - anyone from melb know where i can get the 10w 40 non synthetic?
I cant find it friggen anywhere!

I ran my bike in with and still use 15w 50 castrol 4 banger oil - does that matter?

you talking about castrol activ 4t? that's what I use in all my bikes, works fine. don't worry about finding 10w 40 just use the 4t

edit: damn sean you beat me every time lol

Yep - Its the castrol 4t stuff...
Cheers for the help...

what happens if I have put too much oil in??

will it effect the performance of my bike?

sorry for high jacking bro..

depends how much is too much? a cm too high on the dipstick should be fine but like a liter too much is gonna cause serious problems

I've been told pretty much my problem was that i didn't put the breather on the fuel cap - i had put tap over it instead cause i left the breather @ home!

what happens if I have put too much oil in??

will it effect the performance of my bike?

sorry for high jacking bro..

from 2 Ltrs upwarts the engine starts to gargle:p

nah i didn't put that much in.. I will check again with the dip stick, but I took it for a ride and all seemed good, but it was just around the back yard...

too much oil, the crank whips the oil up too far, and u sometimes get more blowby than you want.

synthetic holds up better heat wise. Probably a better choice IMO for hot pitbike motors which break down oil super quick.

Ive run castor oil, minieral and over 30 hours with car oil in my old ducar. that motor is still running by the way.

Latest posts

Back