Running it in hard?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenuineThumpy

Reaction score
hey guys,

Ive heard a few things in the past about running an engine in the right way, i know it is recommended by the sellers and most people to just cruise for your first few tanks and don't give it to it, but i had recently heard that running it in hard aka using alot of engine braking etc, will be a better outcome for the engines life? is this true?
Ive just bought a brand new 150 that i plan on running in today so i thought id ask some professionals, whats the right way to run in a new engine?

i ran my Lifan 150 pretty hard during the first half hour.
fresh oil etc, warmed up, varied speeds/loads etc.
it blows smoke sometimes now, not all the time, mainly on startup, and sometimes blows more it than others.
i reckon the valve stem seals may be to blame, but i have a couple of newish 150 heads here that i can play with too !

ahhh thats exactly the answer i was looking for, thanks for that :)

I reckon just about every answer has its +/-'s manufacturers specs vs tried n tested run ins. A mate on here told me to run mine in hard and I did and its still got ship loads of compression, but like Craig's bike blows a little blue smoke on start up! :)

yes HARD, i do first lap at half throttle, second lap harder with engine braking, then nail it for a few laps. Let it cool right down, then your good to go.

My method is simple. Run it in like you're racing it. Just short shift. By that I mean ride it hard just don't over rev it. I've run in brand new engines on the race track

hi guy's
just wondering about quad's and 2 wheeler's and not sure what one to get if you could tell me your opinion
that would be great because i just can't decide
cheer's, tyler

hi guy's
just wondering about quad's and 2 wheeler's and not sure what one to get if you could tell me your opinion
that would be great because i just can't decide
cheer's, tyler
not sure what you mean exactly... but i reckon normal bikes are the go for offroad, trail riding and i dont think i even know a track that 4 wheelers are allowed on

Latest posts

Back